[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Genetics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: it's genes and shit.jpg (741KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
it's genes and shit.jpg
741KB, 1024x683px
So a male gets one Y chromosome from his father and one X chromosome from his mother. There is nothing unclear about that.

However since female has two X chromosomes, which X chromosome will the male inherit? Always the one that's passed maternally or her other one that she got from her dad? Or is the chance 50%? Or 100%?
>>
i dont think that how it works op
>>
>>7952823

It's about 50-50, which you can see in the rates of X-linked diseases like red-green colorblindness, which will afflict about half of a carrier mother's male offspring.
>>
>>7952829
this
>>
>>7952823
3 X's, 1 Y
the new babby grabs 2 randomly, so here's the entire phase space:

Y(dad) X(dad)
Y(dad) X(mom) (2x)
X(mom) X(dad)
X(mom) X(mom) (2x)

So there's a 1 in 6 chance that babby is a girl and gets the X from dad. Or something like this. I don't really know shit about genetics, so I kind of made this up on the spot.
>>
>>7952829
what about recombination
>>
>>7952829
>>7952832
Just checking if we are on the same page here: The following combination is then impossible?

Male babby
- Y from dad
- X from mom (that she got from her dad)
>>
>>7952837
Dependent on where the affected genes are on the chromosome.
>>
>>7952844
no i'm saying

you don't get one or the other X chromosome because recombination

you get part of both
>>
>>7952842

No, that combination is possible. The mom doesn't 'remember' which X came from mom and which came from dad (though through imprinting, she does remember which parts of certain other chromosomes came from dad and which came from mom). In the average woman, only one X is active in each cell and the other is turned off,' typically 50% of the cells have the mom's X in the off mode and 50% of the cells have the dad's X in the off mode, though some women show skewing.
>>
>>7952848
You beat me to the answer again. This.

>>7952842
The combination you mentioned is possible
>>
>>7952849
>>7952850
Thank you so much for elaborating this.
>>
>>7952832
You cannot normally inherit both chromosomes from one parent. That's not how miosis works.
>>
>>7952823

Sex cells have haploid chromosomes (n=23) two of which are sex chromosomes whereas somatic cells have diploid chromosomes (2n=46). So, each sex cell can contain one sex chromosome Egg has always X chromosome. It has 50-50 chance to get fertilized with Y or X.
>>
>>7952870

Fixed!

>Sex cells have haploid chromosomes (n=23) ONE of which IS sex chromosomes whereas somatic cells have diploid chromosomes (2n=46). So, each sex cell can contain one sex chromosome Egg has always X chromosome. It has 50-50 chance to get fertilized with Y or X.
>>
>>7952823
In the metaphase I of the primordial germ cell it's a 50% whether the paternal or the maternal half end up in the egg
>>
>>7952870
>>7952873
Was about to correct you until you fixed it. That said, I think you misunderstood the question. OP was asking whether the X chromosome in the mother's egg (her gamete) would be the one the mother got from her father or the one the mother inherited from her mother.
>>
>>7952881
Yes, I totally missed that. Haven't had my coffee yet. But I think same odds apply. 50-50 chance to have X chromosome from either maternal grandparent.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.