[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Dirac delta """""""""""""""""""function""""""""

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: Dirac_function_approximation.gif (89KB, 200x335px) Image search: [Google]
Dirac_function_approximation.gif
89KB, 200x335px
>Dirac delta """""""""""""""""""function"""""""""""""""""""""
>>
>>7952590
Looks like a function to me m8
>>
>>7952590
this is even addressed on the first line of the fucking wikipedia page

low quality b8
>>
>>7952693
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""b8""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
>>
>OP is """"""""straight""""""""
>>
>>7952590
I've only ever seen physics students and expert memeologists sperg out over this.
>>
>>7952723
>physics students
>memeologists
>NOT THE SAME THING

LE BAZINGOOOOOO XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
>>
>>7952635
A function can't be almost everywhere zero and have a non zero integral, dumbass
>>
>>7952702
I'm willing to get fucked in the ass if that's what it takes to stop this out of control function
>>
>>7952747
>l2measures
>>
>>7952723
But physicists are the ones who use it as a function and refer to it as such.
For example, the QFT book I'm reading said that a particular element of the scattering matrix was some function times [math]\delta(0)[/math]!
A physicist will define the functional derivative the same way you'd define a normal one, but with a delta function in place of the coordinate difference delta-x, which is very simple but the functional you started with was only defined on functions, not distributions!
A mathematician would introduce some new machinery and say the functional derivative is the Radon–Nikodym derivative or Fréchet derivative or whatever.
>>
>>7953516
>[math]\delta(0)[/math]!
I don't mean the factorial of [math]\delta(0)[/math], by the way - that would make even less sense.
>>
>>7952590
>he doesn't know distribution theory
>he thinks the Dirac is the only "function" to be like this
To be fair, everything would be simpler if we'd just go with non-standard analysis
>>
>>7953529
everything would be simpler if we stick to ultrafinitist math.
>>
>>7953531
It really wouldn't.
>>
>>7953500
What are you talking about? Is there some way to get area out of purely length?
>inb4 space filling curves
>>
>>7952590
Why don't we just call it Dirac delta measure or Dirac delta limit?
>>
>>7952590

If highschool math was bad, then jumping to college level math would equally cause you to """""""""""sperg out""""""""""".

The dirac delta is not a function but a functional,
a linear function of functions. The distribution theory guy earlier pointed in this direction.

And is it useful? Damn right, differential equations wouldn't be the same without this """""""function"""""".
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.