[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay so I was bored and thinking about some equations stuff,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1=0,999repeating.jpg (288KB, 1399x953px) Image search: [Google]
1=0,999repeating.jpg
288KB, 1399x953px
Okay so I was bored and thinking about some equations stuff, wrote it out on some sheet et I found something buggling my mind, i solved this :
[math]e^{x}+x=0[/math]
And found this solution that is some infinitely exponentiated repetition of some sort...
How do you call that ?
Do you even have something to calculate it without going through all the exponentiations ?
>>
>>7952237
infinite power tower

lambert W function
>>
>>7952253
okay thanks man
>>
>using limits that 0.9... = 1
Depends on the topology
>>
>>7952268
This might be the stupidest post of the day.
>>
You can use Newton's method to approximate the answer. If you don't know Newton's method, you take a guess,x, say .5, and you plug it into the expression x-f(x)/f'(x), where f'x is the derivative. The derivative of the function is e^x +1, so basically you plug in .5 into x - (e^x + x)/(e^x+1), and plug that value back into x, and again etc until you get reasonably close. Pretty sure this number is transcendental, so no way of representing it algebraically
>>
>>7952332
any hints to work out the Newton's method ?
like, where do I start to study stuff that will lead to the proof of this method ?
I particularly like proving this kind of stuff y'see
>>
That's [math]-\Omega[/math].

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_constant
>>
>>7952344
>any hints to work out the Newton's method ?
>like, where do I start to study stuff that will lead to the proof of this method ?
Calculus 1? Just draw a triangle with sides the vertical line from x to f(x), the tangent line at x, and the (appropriate portion of the) x-axis. Newton's method should be immediate from that picture.
>>
You can use Newton's method to approximate the answer. If you do not know Newton's method, you take a guess,x, say .5, and you plug it into the expression x-f(x)/f'(x), where f'x is the derivative. The derivative of the function is e^x +1, so basically you plug in .5 into x - (e^x + x)/(e^x+1), and plug that value back into x, and again etc until you get reasonably close. Pretty sure this number is transcendental, so no way of representing it algebraically.
>>
>>7952383
I don't get what the fuck you are trying to say.
Sorry for that but can you explain what I am even supposed to do with that triangle ?
Like, for starters, what even is the point of Newton's method.
>>
>>7952506
Newton's method allows you to find points where f(x)=0 if you start close enough to x.
Let x0 be a point close to x, let x1 be the intersection of the tangent of f(x) at (x0,f(x0)).
Generally
[math]x_{n+1}=x_n-\frac{f (x_n)}{f' (x_n)}[/math]
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.