[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can a particle have half of a spin?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: 1454772246447.jpg (63KB, 500x385px) Image search: [Google]
1454772246447.jpg
63KB, 500x385px
How can a particle have half of a spin?
>>
>>7951948
It's not "half of a spin", it's spin-1/2, which means the quantum number has value 1/2.
>>
Torque
>>
>>7951971
torque is cheap anon
>>
>>7951978
kek
>>
>>7951978
surely underrated
>>
>>7951978
>>7951989
>>7951990
I don't get it.
>>
>>7951948
charge
>>
>>7951965
What does that even mean, though? And why is it often referred to as just spin?
>>
>>7952121
Quarks and leptons (including electrons and neutrinos), which make up what is classically known as matter, are all fermions with spin 1/2. The common idea that "matter takes up space" actually comes from the Pauli exclusion principle acting on these particles to prevent the fermions that make up matter from being in the same quantum state. Further compaction would require electrons to occupy the same energy states, and therefore a kind of pressure (sometimes known as degeneracy pressure of electrons) acts to resist the fermions being overly close. It is also this pressure which prevents stars collapsing inwardly, and which, when it finally gives way under immense gravitational pressure in a dying massive star, triggers inward collapse and the dramatic explosion into a supernova. Spin is was prevents this shit dude.
>>
File: latest[1].png (4KB, 354x357px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
4KB, 354x357px
a particle spin is a particle spin. You can't say it's only a half
>>
>>7952143
charge is charge. you can't say it's only negative.
>>
File: ayy.png (14KB, 598x165px) Image search: [Google]
ayy.png
14KB, 598x165px
>>7952144
Dubs are Dubs.
You can't say it is only double digits.
>>
https://youtu.be/cd2Ua9dKEl8?t=207

this explains it
>>
>>7952143
Thanks TJ """Henry""" Yoshi
>>
>>7952138
Hmm, I still don't understand. What I got out of your explanation is that matter/particles have a constant pressure on them, and therefore should become overly close (or collapse), but this doesn't happen. Therefore we arbitrarily assign a quality called spin to explain this? If I sound stupid, I am. I got a 60% on my modern physics final, so I really don't understand this stuff.
>>
Spin 0 - a dot in space (looks the same from all angles)
Spin 1 - particle must spin 360 degrees to look the same
Spin 2 - particle must spin 90 degrees to look the same
Spin 1/2 - particle must spin 720 degrees to look the same
>>
Spin exists because of relativity. The space that Spin-1/2 matter states exist in is just one of the unitary representations of the Poincare group.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representation_theory_of_the_Poincar%C3%A9_group
>>
If you don't know what it is, why does it shock you that it could be halved ?
>>
>>7952172
Very loose explanation though, don't really like it because of that.
>>
>>7952121
>>7952289
I don't quite grasp quantum spin myself, but I'll try to explain it as I understand it.
Basically, spin is a misnomer as it doesn't refer to a rotational movement. Particles have an intrinsic property we call "spin" that represents a form of angular momentum, and helps to explain the magnetic moments observed in the particles.
>>
>>7952289
It has to do with rotation. VERY ROUGHLY SPEAKING, all particles can be thought of as "spinning" along some axis, some of them clockwise (-) and some of them counterclockwise (+). Or vice-versa, depending on which way you're looking at it. Generally speaking, we call + "spin-up" and - "spin-down."

Essentially, if you swap the positions of all the particles in a system around so particles with spin 1 become spin -1 and vice-versa, then because they are "spin 1", the wave that represents that particle will get "rotated" 360 degrees and end up exactly the same. (Essentially, you've rotated the phase of that wave by 2pi). Nothing interesting; spin 1 particles and spin -1 particles can easily occupy the same state at the same time.

However, if you flip a spin 1/2 particle around, its wavefunction will be rotated "halfway" - instead of ending up exactly the same, it will be inverted. This means that if you put a spin 1/2 particle and an identical spin -1/2 particle in the same state at the same time, their waves will just cancel out, creating 0 probability. In other words, a spin-up particle and an otherwise identical spin-down particle cannot occupy the same physical state simultaneously.

(And you can't have two *totally* identical particles in the same state at the same time, because in that case they're literally the same particle.)

This is why electrons (fermions, with spin 1/2) form elaborate orbital shells around atoms as they organize themselves to avoid having more than two electrons in any state, while photons (bosons, spin 1) just pass right through each other.
>>
>>7952072
then leave
>>
>>7952715
>>7952799

Interesting, I understand a little bit better now. Thanks.
>>
File: cos((1+epsilon)x).jpg (26KB, 264x259px) Image search: [Google]
cos((1+epsilon)x).jpg
26KB, 264x259px
>>7951948
I hate this spin half / spin whole bullshit, why didnt they make it spin even and spin odd?

It would be so much better that way
>>
>>7952138
>>7952799
Thanks guys, I think I'm starting to get it. I love this stuff but I can't afford actual courses on it so it's hard to get questions answered.
>>
>>7951948
How can your mother take only about half my dick?
>>
First off, its Defacto Speed would need to keep increasing for 12 hours until we start talking about parallel universes
>>
File: TopDork.jpg (42KB, 353x413px) Image search: [Google]
TopDork.jpg
42KB, 353x413px
>>7951978
nice.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.