[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pro-string theory thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: superstringt.jpg (12KB, 250x241px) Image search: [Google]
superstringt.jpg
12KB, 250x241px
Are there any anons on /sci/ who can explain to me why we should support continued research into string theory? Why do people like Witten, Weinberg, and co. love this theory so much, and what makes it a good candidate for a unifying theory of the fundamental forces?

We have enough "string theory is shit" comments on /sci/, so I want to hear the other side.
>>
>>We have enough "string theory is shit" comments on /sci/, so I want to hear the other side.

String theory is not shit
>>
Because string theory is the best we can come up with for the formation of particles?
>>
>>7951116
doesn't qft explain that anyway
>>
cft is best theory. 2d is real life.
>>
>>7951105
>why we should support continued research
What do you mean by "we", Peasant?
>>
>>7951168
The scientific community at large
Why should we not be actively discouraging physicists from going into string theory, given that it's failed to make testable predictions?
>>
>>7951116
u wot
>>
>>7951105
nice manifold
>>
File: calabi-yau manifold.jpg (41KB, 499x562px) Image search: [Google]
calabi-yau manifold.jpg
41KB, 499x562px
>>7952857
Thanks, it's my spirit animal
>>
>>7951180
Perspective from an actual physicist: physicists are highly discouraged from going into string theory. Most for sister from an actual physicist: physicists are highly discouraged from going into string theory. Most physicists are not string theorists. Hell, most physicists aren't even particle theorists. Any given graduate program, even with a strong string theory presence on the theory floor, will usually have at the high end maybe one student out of a class of 25 every couple years wind up a string theorist advisor.

String theory gets a lot of popsci press because it is attempting to answer a really fundamental question about the universe and is one of the a small group of theories that have led to any insight or forwards motion. But at this point it's not really science, just a neat idea.
>>
>>7953046
Sorry about the fucked up first two sentences. But yeah, string theorists account for less than 1% of physocosts and way less than 1% of funding dollars.
>>
Don't gravitational waves conflict with string theory's model of gravity?
>>
File: 1363823606481.jpg (504KB, 800x782px) Image search: [Google]
1363823606481.jpg
504KB, 800x782px
>>7951105
Well I'd like to mention a factor in string theory that hasn't been addressed that pertains to the nature of it as a fractal;
As observable muscle complexes and the nature of gravity being the flex pattern of the muscle and even the 'tear' and then being refined into something stronger is a huge missing piece of the model that could give some critical nurturing to it as a model; as to say when addressing a variable density in a spiral that the conflict of the spirals line width inside of the vibrating string when reaching critical mass and not being able to exponentiate any further given its conflict with an earlier line creating the density of the string but also one kind of friction that generates its vibration provides the platform for 'tears' to rift and the vibration to become denser; I believe this problem would solve some conflict in the early universe model where expansion in string theory kind of falls apart do to our reliance on the cartesian coordinate plane and how its unit platform is at best obscure when trying to define a unit outside of an integral platform.
>just an opinion
>>
>>7953046
>>7953050
what the fuck happened to those two sentences?
>>
>>7953046
>ill usually have at the high end maybe one student out of a class of 25 every couple years wind up a string theorist advisor.
>
>String theory gets a lot of popsci press becaus
in france, we have a laboratory dedicated to string theory.
>>
>>7953734
It's the 4d projection of an higher dimensional sentence, see OP's pic which just means "faggot" in out pleb limited world
>>
>>7953739
Yeah? And how many labs dedicated to solid state physics, cold atoms, quantum information, astronomy, cosmology, biophysics, complex systems/nonlinear dynamics, nuclear physics, precision measurement, or non-string-theory particle physics?
>>
>>7953739
>laboratory

Bruh...
>>
>>7953712
No.
>>
>>7953744
there is no laboratory with a unique field, especially for public laboratories. You can find one lab for each of these field, but in Paris. outside paris, it is always mixed, more so for theoretical works.
>>
>Are there any anons on /sci/ who can explain to me why we should support continued research into string theory?

The string theory that explains particles such as quarks, and gluons is really successful. String theory plays a big part in particle physics/high-energy physics. String theory has also played a part in our understanding of black holes, and conservation of information. For more information, read The Black Hole War by Leonard Susskind. In the book, Susskind explains how information can be conserved in black holes by using conceptions of string theory.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.