[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is the universe so fine tuned for life? If the variables

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (632KB, 1347x989px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
632KB, 1347x989px
Why is the universe so fine tuned for life?
If the variables and physical laws of our universe had been even slightly different we wouldn't have gotten planets and stars and sharks and chicken soup.
>>
God
>>
God
>>
yahweh (our god)
>>
multiverse + indeterminism
ofc we got one of the perfect ones, either we wouldn't be conscious right now
>>
>>7948387
God
>>
>>7948387
Puddles think their holes were made for them too
>>
>>7948387
>Why is the universe so fine tuned for life?
It isn't. The illusion of fine-tuning is the result of billions upon billions of theoretical universe failing to create a version of you that asked the question.
>>
>>7948461
Yes, like mass quantum immortality but without all the fallacies about observation paradoxes.
>>
>>7948483
In the strictest sense they were or else the puddle wouldn't be there.
>>
>>7948511
That's tripe
>>
>>7948529
Are you saying puddles can form without holes to form in?
>>
>>7948387
>If the variables and physical laws of our universe had been even slightly different we wouldn't have gotten planets and stars and sharks and chicken soup.

Maybe that's why! This is just the combination of laws and properties that works together as a whole. Change one thing and everything would have collapsed. We don't know how many tries there have been to create the working combination, maybe universe has gone trough all the possible combinations, might there be a few others.
>>
>>7948387
life is just the consequence
>>
>>7948591
>>7948461
This
Fuck god, there is no god
>>
>>7948636
The only claim an intelligent person can make is that God isn't likely
>>
>>7948636
then why are you so mad at something that doesnt exist
>>
>>7948640
The only claim an intelligent person can make is that he's conscious in these exact moment...

You know, we just gotta make assumptions
>>
>>7948640

And a person with similar intelligence would also conclude that, not being likely, it is worthwhile to assume there is not one until evidence to the contrary is presented. Innocent 'til proven guilty and all of that.
>>
>>7948591
Or in terms of fairy logic: "Because infinite time makes it really hard to count things."
>>
>>7948387
Who says life wouldn't be possible if the variables were different? Who says that every universe has the same natural forces that our universe has? Who says that the mathematics of our universe apply to every universe?
>>
>>7948640
Probability is the weakest form of claim.
>>7948643
Because people's ideas about it still do.
>>7948644
Assuming one node per argument graph is deeply fallacious.
>>7948647
>Innocent 'til proven guilty and all
<3
>>7948663
Scientists!
>>
>>7948387
I read something absolutely batshit fucking insane stupid, but I want to share it.

Someone came up with the idea that black holes are each their own universe (this is dumb and I don't get it). If black holes create their own universe, then natural selection would maybe occur. Universes that didn't allow for the creation of black holes would go extinct, while ones that maximized black hole production would produce many universes as offspring. Somebody actually came up with this idea.

Then someone else ran some simulations that I'm sure were pretty much bullshit, but lo and behold, our universe seems to have physical laws that allow for near-optimal black hole production. Change the physical constants in our laws around, doesn't work as well. So then someone put forth the idea that life and intelligent life is just a lucky fluke that would do well in the same kinds of universes that produce many black holes.

I think this is bullshit. I don't have a better answer, but I don't think this is a good answer. What's /sci/ think?
>>
>>7948687
>Scientists!
aka popsci.com
>>
>>7948663
>what is general fucking relativity
>>
>>7948387
confirmation bias.

there's probably a universe with tons of crazy shit where life never forms.
>>
>>7948387
Pretty much per accident
>>
if there is a god does he shit
>>
If the universe is infinitely large or there exist infinitely many universes, it is statistically guaranteed for this incarnation of life to happen. In fact, there is a 100% chance that there is another reality exactly like this except that one thing is changed, like for example, one man in Kazakhstan has an extra freckle or something. There are infinitely many incarnations of this reality, and infinitely many that are the same but slightly changed.
>>
>>7948786
>there's another universe
>>
>>7948387
Because nobody ever found himself in a universe incapable of producing life and asking why.
>>
File: Star-Trek-happy-Picard-530x298.jpg (23KB, 530x298px) Image search: [Google]
Star-Trek-happy-Picard-530x298.jpg
23KB, 530x298px
>>7948926
mfw that reality where my hot redhead ex gf isn't batshit crazy and we stayed together having amazing sex for the last two decades.
>>
Life's made for the universe, not the other way around.
>>
>>7948387
The universe is not fine tuned for life, life is fine tuned for the universe.
>>
>>7948640
>u cant no nuffin
>>
I do believe in the idea of a multiverse but i dont think its possible to make contact with them
>>
File: BJUxWwn.gif (2MB, 368x344px) Image search: [Google]
BJUxWwn.gif
2MB, 368x344px
>>7948387
>If the variables and physical laws of our universe had been even slightly different
Where are you getting your scale for "slightly"?
If the human race had only seen one giraffe, ever, how would we know if it were unusually tall?
How would we know what kind of variation was normal?

See also:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropic_principle
>only in a universe capable of eventually supporting life will there be living beings capable of observing and reflecting upon fine tuning.
>>
>>7948387
side effects of the infinite Multiverse.
>>
File: thumbs-up-jpg.jpg (116KB, 600x410px) Image search: [Google]
thumbs-up-jpg.jpg
116KB, 600x410px
>>7948483
>Puddles think their holes were made for them too
Wow.
I'm going to use that.
Thanks, Anon!
>>
>>7948647
>it is worthwhile to assume there is not one until evidence to the contrary is presented.
The point of faith is the positive impact it has on your demeanor and (for some) morality.
It's not supposed to explain the universe.
>>
>>7948663
>Who says life wouldn't be possible if the variables were different?

>>7948687
>>>7948663
>Scientists!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boltzmann_brain
>>
>>7949002
Came here to post this
>>
>>7948387
It is the will of Allah
>>
>>7949040

Might want to tell that to all the people who use their faith to explain the universe and every single thing in it.
>>
>>7948387
>if physical laws had been different

The universe doesn't obey our maths.
We work out what maths describe the universe to the best of our observations.

This "if the constants were different" basically amounts to "If we change our model so that data doesn't fit, data doesn't fit"

Then some people act like this is surprising.

Life adapted to conditions around it, not the other way round.
>>
>>7949619
That's not what they mean, they're saying if we change the data.
>>
It's not fine tuned for life, life is fine tuned for it.
>>
>>7949040
The problem with faith is that you truly have to believe in it for it to work. Which means you will think it has much more significance than it actually does. Sure, it might make you happy. It's also make you dumb.
>>
the only way you could ask that question is if the conditions were the way they are

therefore and potential outcome of the universe would seem near impossible to anything there to experience it
>>
>>7951065
any*
>>
>>7948571
Sure. There's literally an infinity of objects without holes you can form puddles on. Like a perfectly smooth spherical (or ellipsoidal) object with gravity and a little bit of liquid on it. Or, hell, a simple flat surface. Puddles will form if you pour water on them.

Now when are you going to crawl back into your hole, quacko?
>>
>>7948387

>Why is the universe so fine tuned for life?

Ask all the other worlds with life on them that we've discovered what they think about that.

We are a reaction to environmental factors, nothing more. If the environmental factors were different, there would be a different reaction. Maybe worse, maybe better.
>>
>>7948591
>>7948636
>>7948640
>>7948786
>>7948926
>>7949020
>>7949033

Is infinity God? because it sure sounds like God.

Infinity seems to be able to do anything really.

inb4: mathfags and their calculation with infinity
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.