[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Black holes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: black-holes-opener-615.jpg (108KB, 615x461px) Image search: [Google]
black-holes-opener-615.jpg
108KB, 615x461px
Where do black holes get all their mass? When a star fails, explodes, collapses in on itself and creates a black hole, wouldn't it have the same amount of mass as it had before? If not even a little less after an explosion?

And if the mass is the same, how did the star shine before with enough mass/gravity to trap light from escaping?
>>
>>7947781
Yes they have the mass of the original star + whatever they draw in.

It has more to do with the mass being concentrated in an infinitely small area than it does with the amount.

You can make a black hole from any mass if you compress it small enough.
>>
>>7947789
Its not even infinitely small. A black hole with the mass of earth would have to be about the size of a human head.

>>7947781
As for the question why the star is able to shine: only if you pass the critical ratio of mass to volume your object gets a schwartzschild, which radius is the distance from which nothing can escape the hole. Since stars dont have one the photons are able to leave it and travel into space.

Also if your question is how it can be that some holes can be as massive as millions of our suns thats because they resulted from stars that were millions of times the mass of our own.
>>
>>7947840
the event horizon's radius would be around the size of ping pong ball, or something.
The mass itself is at an infinitely small point, the singularity. The space we call the 'black hole' is just where spacetime is distorted to the point that no information can escape, aka event horizon
>>
Size DOES matter! ;)
I think my gap in understanding is the mass vs size. I thought mass would behave the same if large or small.
>>
>>7947855
At a certain point no. Shit gets weird when you get really small.
>>
The photons emitted in the centre of the star aren't disturbed too much because mass is high on either side of it. It's only when all the mass compresses so it's all on one side of the photon that it cant escape.
>>
File: 1458508984790.jpg (51KB, 807x537px) Image search: [Google]
1458508984790.jpg
51KB, 807x537px
>>7947781
A black hole forms when an objects radius becomes less than it's Schwarzschild radius. That is all

2GM/c^2>r

>>7947840
>A black hole with the mass of the earth would have to be the same size as a human head
Try a human eye desu
>>
Edge of universe is traveling at the speed of light. It is frozen in time because of time dilation so we won't be able to see any event happen behind it, which means that universe has an event horizon.

>tl;dr
Is our universe is placed in a blackhole?
>>
>>7947943
>Edge of universe is traveling at the speed of light
ugh no it isn't
>>
>>7947781
It's because the star did have tons of gravity on it and then it lost all of it's mass and the gravity or space time collapsed on itself into a infinite dense and tiny point of space time and that sucks.
>>
blackholes dont exist
>>
>>7947988
>le relativity is a conspiracy meme

Go away.
>>
>>7948005
>conspiracy
no
the math simply doesnt work
>dividing by zero is fine if its a physical law
>>
>>7948009
So what's your model? Aether?
>>
>>7948014
electric universe
>>
>>7948032
Meme
>>
>>7947840
>thats because they resulted from stars that were millions of times the mass of our own.
no, the largest stars are about 100 solar masses. Any larger than that the star would blow itself up before being born. The way supermassive black holes are born is still a mystery.
>>
>>7948143
>the largest stars are about 100 solar masses
Which star is actually that big? VY canis Majoris is only ~17 solar masses
>>
>>7948156
Off the top of my head (google) i know the pistol star and Eta carinae. Next time type "largest mass star" instead of "largest star" into google, because large can be referring to volume or mass.
>>
>>7948156
>1g/m^3
densitylets when will they learn?
>>
>>7947781
It's not higgs

http://youtu.be/JqNg819PiZY?t=40m
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.