[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Silicon Based Life

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: xenomorph.jpg (37KB, 335x500px) Image search: [Google]
xenomorph.jpg
37KB, 335x500px
What are the limitations on silicon based life? What challenges face it? How does it compare to carbon-based lifeforms? I know that silicon is worse for life than carbon, but why and how?

I recall reading something about them hardening upon contact with water. Why is that?
>>
Gold based life
Sodium based life
Plutonium based life
Potassium based life
>>
They'll be heavier, that's it. Also nothing stops Si life to use both Si and C.
>>
>>7947547
>Gold based life
>Sodium based life
>Plutonium based life
>Potassium based life

Are those actually possible?

>They'll be heavier, that's it.

What about the lack of metabolism? The silicate they breathe out?
>>
>>7947539
Doesn't metabolism (read oxidation) of silicium-organo-compounds produce siliciumoxide as an end product. I can imagine cells secreting carbondioxide, but not silicates.
>>
>>7947547
Damn man, I wonder

What if aliums
>>
wasn't there some story about aliens making us mine gold so they could seed their atmosphere with it or something
i know how retarded that sounds
>>
silicon doesn't form long-chain compounds as easily
also, silicon compounds tend to have fairly similar phase diagrams, whereas carbon compounds are so variable and diverse that you can easily have them present in gas, liquid, and solid forms under the same temperature and pressure conditions, allowing for better exchange. (think CO2, petroleum, and calcium carbonate)
>>
>>7947634

>silicon doesn't form long-chain compounds as easily

this could be chalked up to the larger radius and consequently longer bond lengths of silicon compounds, correct?
>>
>>7947622
Couldn't they secrete it? Maybe into an exoskeleton?
>>
>>7947635
not certain of the exact mechanics desu
my field is a geosci one, so I'm less concerned about why silicon does stuff and more concerned about what stuff it does.
could have something to do with the fact that silicon can expand the octet and carbon can't
>>
>>7947641
there are organisms that make siliceous exoskeletons.
diatoms, most notably, but also some sponges. and there are plants such as triodia (spinifex grass) which concentrate silica in their leaf tips as a deterrent to grazing.
>>
>>7947631
That was Chariots of the Gods.
>>
>>7947649
Wouldn;t work to secrete from respiration. SiO2 is non-soluble
>>
>>7947652
oh is it an annunaki thing, figures
>>
Silicon atoms are complete shit.
Carbon is way better
>>
I'm into life forms that are carbon based. Does that make me xenophobic?
>>
>>7949730
no, it makes you a zoophile you sick fuck
>>
Silicon is too heavy to create lifeforms like we'd know it.

Boron (preferably) or perhaps Nitrogen are the best alternatives to Carbon in forming complex chains.

Source: I'm a medfag.
>>
>>7947539
would be pretty cool if our bones were made of calcium silicate instead of hydroxyapatite.
>>
>>7951225
What community college are you from friend?

plenty of life on earth itself uses silica
>>
>>7951245
Uses yes, but think of amino acids, etc. At the 19th best uni in the world friend
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.