[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you go insane from trying to solve a hard problem with no luck?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: no.jpg (52KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
no.jpg
52KB, 500x500px
Can you go insane from trying to solve a hard problem with no luck?
>>
yeah sure whatever
>>
>>7946950
i'm him
>>
>>7946948
There's one mathematician, whom I forget the name of, who killed himself after being driven mad whilst working on a problem involving infinity. Pre' cool story.
>>
>>7946952
Liar
I'd left the word on out in >>7946950

Love you buddy >>7946952
>>
>>7946953
particularly interested in mathematicians. Are mental disorders more prevalent among them?
>inb4 autist jokes
>>
>>7946976
ya
>>
File: Boltzmann.jpg (18KB, 257x326px) Image search: [Google]
Boltzmann.jpg
18KB, 257x326px
>>7946953
Cantor did not kill himself, however he did end up in a sanatorium at the time of his death. He had suffered throughout his life from bouts of severe mental illness and was subsequently hospitalised disrupting his work. He died from a heart attack.

If you are referring to Ludwig Boltzmann, then he was a physicist and in fact did hang himself while on a holiday with his wife and daughter.
>>
>>7946976
This gets asked here quite frequently, and at present, the answer is likely to be yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creativity_and_mental_illness
>Albert Einstein had a son with schizophrenia and was also somewhat schizotypal and eccentric.
>>
>>7946993
Wow, I had hair beard and mustache just like that once. Strange af.
>>
>>7947027
How is that strange
You obviously cant think for yourself and that's a very traditional autism look
I know a guy who looks strikingly similar to that picture and he never stops rocking back and forth
>>
>>7947042
Well we also appear to have moderately similar chin, jawline, and eyebrows.
It's strange because I don't see many people who look like me.
>>
File: boltzmann quote.jpg (44KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
boltzmann quote.jpg
44KB, 850x400px
>>7946993
Was Boltzmann being ironic?

>>7947042
This is a nice board. Don't bully.
>>
>>7947027
What are the chances.
>>
>>7946993
Boltzmann was on a holiday with his wife and daughter, told them to go swimming and said he'd be there soon. Then he hanged himself, best holiday ever. I wonder if his daughter got so traumatized she couldn't swim ever again.
>>
>>7947089
Pretty slim. I've never seen anyone who looks as much like me as that guy
>>
>>7947051
that's because you don't get out enough you fucking autist
>>
>>7946976
Nothing scientific but from personal experience the more theoretical the science gets the more introverted the people studying it.

Geography->Biology->Chemistry->Physics->Maths
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.