[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

math nightmares thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

>tfw have to calculate taylor series of second order for a function R^3 to R
>>
>>7938083
Are you banned from Wolfram Alpha?
>>
>>7938101
Can't do that in an exam, can you?
>>
>>7938102
>making someone do that in an exam
unless there's like a crazy shortcut for that particular function whoever wrote that exam deserves to be shot .
>>
>>7938102
Hold my beer.
>>
>>7938104
It can come from a simple question such as "find the extrema of the function blabla"
>>
>>7938112
You don't need the Taylor series for that.
>>
>>7938117
you need the jacobian and the hessian.
>>
Anything tensors.
>>
on my 1st year calculus they had a midterm, and we had to do 8th order Taylor series
I think it was on sin(x) or something, not hard, but it was tedious and boring
the sign changes with each term too
>>
File: 1453449611571.jpg (8KB, 222x216px) Image search: [Google]
1453449611571.jpg
8KB, 222x216px
>be physicist
>only ever use 1st order (linear) terms of Taylor function for literally every application so far
>>
>>7938120
And that requires a Taylor series?

[spoilers]It doesn't[/spoilers]
>>
>>7938664
Hello freshman
You often use second order derivates to express a certain potential around a minimum, i.e. hooks law
>>
>>7938664
The beauty is that it works.

>Make some retarded oversimplified model of an incredibly complex system
>Makes a great approximation at the very least in certain limits

And there is nothing better than dealing with some disgusting equations, doing a Taylor, and seeing something neat and tidy roll out.
>>
>>7938083
>math nightmares
>hessian matrix

cringe
>>
>>7938707
How bad it is depends on the function really. Enjoy calculating 6 2nd derivatives of something gross on a test for which you have limited time.
>>
I know this is babby tier, but

>doing laplace transforms of complicated functions

I'm annoyed, it's tedious screwing around with euler's identity so it comes out nice and pretty.
>>
>>7938655
Just sin(x)? Don't you have that one memorized by heart?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.