[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Immortality thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 16

File: immortality.jpg (79KB, 580x386px) Image search: [Google]
immortality.jpg
79KB, 580x386px
/sci/,
I wish to devote my life trying to become immortal. why? because I hate death.

I'd like to spend almost every working hour of the rest of my life trying to live more.

what's the most optimal way to go about that? what science areas should I master?

also, any talk about immortality and anti-aging is welcome
>>
>>7935141
If you dedicate your life to extending your life, you'll greatly regret it when you're old and weak that you didn't do anything else. You, like us, have been born way too early for immortality... even if science somehow found the key to immortality, you will still die from cancer a few years later... Just do what you like and don't waste your life.
>>
File: immortal.jpg (67KB, 483x388px) Image search: [Google]
immortal.jpg
67KB, 483x388px
>>7935147
>Just do what you like and don't waste your life.
And what activity do you cosnider 'not wasting your life'? After giving it much thought for few months, I've come to the conclusion that ANY activity, other than trying to work on immortality, is a waste of your life. Working for some bank or other company that's doing pointless stuff, like trying to make money, is a waste of life IMO. Why? Because you'll be 6' under in no time.

I'd really like someone to convince me otherwise because I can't come up with any arguments against the position/conclusion I've arrived to.

Everything else seems illogical to me.
>>
>>7935141
>devote life trying to become immortal
>devote life to become immortal

>trying

>devote life

Continue doing what you are doing already is the most optimal way.

Meanwhile I am going to advance the sciences and when the time comes for my current vessel to die I will orchastrate the transferal of my soul to a new capable-minded vessel. I may not remember everything, but my previous advancements in the sciences will continue onto my continual reincarnations. Finally, when the end of all things comes, I will accept it gratefully as by that time I will have had enough.
>>
>>7935157
Yes, no matter what you do, you're gonna die. Everything is thus a 'waste of life'. Accept that.

Humans function in everyday life by choosing in their mind what will bring them the most utility.You choose to do things in your life that you presume will give you the most utility; at this point in time, you presume that the best path is pursuing immortality.

This might offer you short-term utility, but long-term it's going to cost you a lot more, in my opinion. I am telling you to get off this path because in my view, you can take another path that would offer you more short and long-term utility than pursuing immortality out of some primordial fear. That path could be to study something you like, rather than something that would allow you to work on immortality. Something like engineering, which will allow you to work anywhere you want, have a family and live comfortably. Or become a finance major, work your ass off, make a lot of money, con people and build a castle on a mountain and live the rest of your life there. These are just examples that could offer you more utility long-term, different paths you can take, depending on what is important to you. All I am saying is, you are choosing to work on immortality on the faulty assumption that you will get a lot more utility in the end(actual immortality), than you actually will.

Simplified enough?
>>
>>7935141
>trying to live more.
Just... live more. Find what you love, and do it.
>>
>>7935141
Your two main routes are computational neuroscience ("uploading") and genetics/molecular bio/gerontology ("fountain of youth"). The former is more long-term and the latter is more short-term, but both are important.

Good luck.
>>
File: sad-old-man.jpg (625KB, 2060x2312px) Image search: [Google]
sad-old-man.jpg
625KB, 2060x2312px
>>7935188
No, that just shortens your life. If you live happy it will be over before you know it. If you life a miserable life it will last much longer.
>>
Google aubrey de grey

also you aren't the first to want this, there is a growing community of "transhumanists" that you might be interested in.

http://2045.com/

that's all I know.
>>
Cryogenics is an infamous shitshow atm but I would guess you have a better chance of making an improvement to preservation such that you last until immortality than you do in achieving immortality directly.
>>
>>7935186
I think OPs concept is pretty simple.

until our life span is indefinite, we should concentrate on making it indefinite.

What is the point of learning something or becoming skilled at something or acquiring wealth if you are only going to die the same way everyone else dies?

what is the difference then form sitting doing nothing, and going out and "doing what you love" beyond entertainment value?
>>
>>7935279
>What is the point of learning something or becoming skilled at something or acquiring wealth if you are only going to die the same way everyone else dies?

To pass on that stuff to your children so they can have a better life and ensure the genes are passed on.

>what is the difference then form sitting doing nothing, and going out and "doing what you love" beyond entertainment value?

Nothing, if you don't have children.
>>
>>7935279
>until our life span is indefinite, we should concentrate on making it indefinite.

The problem here is, that you (or OP, or whoever thinks they can do that) will NOT be able to actually extend their lifetimes. We are far away from a theory in aging and comp neurosci mind 'uploading' is just popsci crap at this point in time. Their effort will be similarly 'meaningless' to making a lot of money or doing things for 'entertainment' as you put it, or utility as I do. Trying to achieve immortality in our lifetime is as futile as any other act, immortality will not be achieved.
>>
>>7935182
Get of Fringe
>>
>>7935182
>Meanwhile I am going to advance the sciences
Okay...

>and when the time comes for my current vessel to die I will orchastrate the transferal of my soul to a new capable-minded vessel.
and who do you think will come up with that? it's people like me who will work on it.

so why don't you actually contribute DIRECTLY to it instead of hoping that people like me succeed? all the while you're telling us we're wrong!

you have a LOT of cognitive dissonance in your arguments. you're also quite illogical.

>>7935186
>Yes, no matter what you do, you're gonna die. Everything is thus a 'waste of life'. Accept that.
but how is me trying to DEFEAT DEATH a waste of life? at least I'm TRYING to do something about it while the rest are just bitching and tell me I'm wrong.

> Something like engineering, which will allow you to work anywhere you want, have a family and live comfortably.
how is me working on immortality preventing me from having a family? I fail to see validity of your argument.

while you're wasting your life doing pointless engineering, I plan on 'wasting' on prolonging mine.

>>7935252
>Your two main routes are computational neuroscience ("uploading") and genetics/molecular bio/gerontology ("fountain of youth"). The former is more long-term and the latter is more short-term, but both are important.
>Good luck.
Thank you! Finally a constructive advice. I will look into these areas. I would like to come up with a plan that I could spend the rest of my life on. I need to figure out what the most promising path is.

>>7935279
>until our life span is indefinite, we should concentrate on making it indefinite.
FINALLY, someone who understand my thinking. Thank you anon for coming up with such a simple statement.

>>7935274
>Google aubrey de grey
I was a big fan of his until I saw that documentary about him. I think he's crazy after watching it. I don't think he offers any solutions. I also think his path is not that convincing to me. Anyway, just a
>>
>>7935315
>but how is me trying to DEFEAT DEATH a waste of life? at least I'm TRYING to do something about it while the rest are just bitching and tell me I'm wrong.
>trying

There you go. I'm not telling you you're wrong, I'm telling you that you were born too early for life extension tech. No matter how much you think you can revolutionise the field, you will not be able to capitalise in it. However, if TRYING to achieve immortality is so important to you as a cause, go for it.

>how is me working on immortality preventing me from having a family? I fail to see validity of your argument.

Researching immortality isn't done at your home while you play video games or whatever. There are specific institutions where you will have to work, and if this work is so important, you will hardly be able to meet people to have a family. Chances are you won't be able to find someone you like there either. Work circumstances are very important for your well-being in general.

>while you're wasting your life doing pointless engineering
Never said I was doing eng.

>I plan on 'wasting' on prolonging mine.
I hope you realise that 'wasting' is what you will be doing. That's what I have been trying to tell you.

>FINALLY, someone who understand my thinking. Thank you anon for coming up with such a simple statement.

Refer to my previous argument above or my reply to anon.

>Mind uploading
>Thank you! Finally a constructive advice.

It's not. We are centuries away from mind uploading. It is popsci-tier at this time.

>I need to figure out what the most promising path is.

If you seriously want to pursue immortality and make it your cause of life, molecular biology is the route you will want to take. The only credible life-extension related science at this point, or cryogenics if you consider it that, as another kind anon mentioned. Hope I helped.
>>
File: Immortality.jpg (52KB, 548x325px) Image search: [Google]
Immortality.jpg
52KB, 548x325px
>>7935342
look, my point is very simple: if you're not working in an area that DIRECTLY impacts life extensions and work on immortality, you're wasting your life because you'll die and turn into ash or worm food.

until we have the solution to live forever, it really is that simple. I really cannot refute this statement and I believe it's logically sound.

>>7935342
>If you seriously want to pursue immortality and make it your cause of life, molecular biology is the route you will want to take. The only credible life-extension related science at this point, or cryogenics if you consider it that, as another kind anon mentioned. Hope I helped.
yep. molecular bio/chem is def is one of the promising paths forward! there's many other ones so my conundrum is which of these paths would be the most optimal one. I plan on mastering one of them (don't think I can succeed if I split my time among many).

thanks!
>>
>>7935362
>if you're not working in an area that DIRECTLY impacts life extensions and work on immortality, you're wasting your life because you'll die and turn into ash or worm food.
>you'll die and turn into ash or worm food.

This will happen whether you work on life-extension or not; statistically, your life won't last more than 80 years no matter whether you pursue immortality or not.

But I see that you have elevated the pursuit of immortality as a cause worth having in your life, so I won't argue with you any longer. I hope you become satisfied with the path you take. Cheers.

P.S. Focus on finding the biological mechanisms behind ageing itself, not useless pharmacology crap that supposedly prolong life by a few years. The mystery has to be solved first before the medicine is created.
>>
>>7935141
have you tried accepting jesus christ as your lord and savior?
>>
>>7935141
>devote life to immortality
>die

there's your life story op
>>
File: elysium med bay.gif (1MB, 245x160px) Image search: [Google]
elysium med bay.gif
1MB, 245x160px
>>7935388
>This will happen whether you work on life-extension or not; statistically, your life won't last more than 80 years no matter whether you pursue immortality or not.
I don't buy that at all! There's a really good chance that we can extend telomeres or find some other way to reverse aging.

>>7935388
>But I see that you have elevated the pursuit of immortality as a cause worth having in your life, so I won't argue with you any longer. I hope you become satisfied with the path you take. Cheers.
look, I really don't see any other point to living in this universe.

if you do NOTHING you will end up dead with 100% certainty. if enough of us decide not to accept that fate, we have a chance, no matter how small it is, to succeed.

I'd easily take 1% chance over 0% chance.

I don't see how you can live this life any other way once you analyze your options.

it's really as simple as that. if you don't accept this fact, you're just deluding yourself.
>>
File: elysium med bay immortality.jpg (53KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
elysium med bay immortality.jpg
53KB, 900x506px
>>7935393
>have you tried accepting jesus christ as your lord and savior?
kek'd. good luck with that one. also, look into 72 virgins option.

>>7935395
>there's your life story op
if mine ends up being "he died trying" I'll be content with it.

what's yours gonna be? he slaved his life away for some corporation so he could buy pointless shit.
>>
>>7935402

>I'd easily take 1% chance over 0% chance.

Fair enough. The thing is, you're not just trading 1% for 0%, you're also trading a completely different life for another. That 1% is bought with countless hours of mostly boring lab work, limited work options/facilities, limited income, limited variety of people to work with... this is YOUR life we're talking about. If you are willing to trade all that for the 1% (More like 0.001% IMO), then that's a good enough reason for you to pursue it. I'm arguing because I wouldn't.
>>
How to immortality:
Step 1. Buy strawberry jello factory
Step 2. Fill scuba mask with strawberry jello
Step 3. Breathe that shit
>>
>>7935141
Is Frankensteining your way to immortality a possibility? Could you in theory keep your body stimulated and functioning with electric currents? I imagine your body would continue to age or at least decay but at least you're still alive right? Anyone with any insight on this?
>>
>>7935433
If your kidney/liver/heart/brain/lungs/intestine degenerates and fails, it wouldn't matter if you brought Electro to revive you, you would stay dead.
>>
>>7935433
IMO, only if your brain dies are you truly dead. All other 'deaths' should be curable.
>>
>>7935445
>>7935439
>Keep brain alive,stimulated, and functioning
>Replace organs as needed
>Keep organs stimulated
It seems good on paper but in practice its something seemingly impossible. I should also mention that this would not cover diseases, accidents, dietary needs, and organ incompatibility. "Immortality" does seem like a big waste of time when you factor that a lot of people can barely make it to 50 without getting diseases or dying in an accident what are the chances of you making it to 150 even if you could somehow prolong your physical bodies life.
>>
>>7935141
Literally every young man who ever walked this Earth thought that he would cheat death. What makes you think you are special? Denying the inevitable will only make it more horrifying when it does come.
>>
>>7935470
>What makes you think you are special?

immense amount of technology? we now know more about how we work than ever in the history of humanity. you can't compare those other people with people who are living today.
>>
try to make your peace with it instead, it'll only make it worse when it inevitably comes if you fight it all the way. life is nicer when you've made your peace with death, i promise. it's a shared experience, something each and every one of us will go through, and i think there's beauty in that.

best chance you have is to become rich and have a child after they've figured out how to shut off aging. that might be possible, it might not. it might result in something horrible. early and accelerated neoplasm growth comes to mind. if it does work, you can at least try to live vicariously through that child until the one day where you must depart this earth. what happens after that, no one knows. isn't it exciting to find out? it's probably just a permanent unconsciousness but there's always a chance of something strange happening before then. we'll meet one day on the other side anon
>>
>>7935476
Just because we know more doesn't mean it's enough. If stem cell therapy is the equivalent of us making it to Pluto which in itself was a massive achievement then extreme life extension is getting to Alpha Centauri because there are serious ideas floating around which make it barely doable but they would require an epic amount of research and financing and full on immortality is the equivalent of trying to get to the Andromeda Galaxy i.e totally impossible unless there is some phenomenal breakthrough in our understanding of science that turns current theories on their heads. So in conclusion the warp drive has more chance of being invented this century than you living forever.
>>
>>7935492
>try to make your peace with it instead, it'll only make it worse when it inevitably comes if you fight it all the way. life is nicer when you've made your peace with death, I promise
This is exactly what I am trying to tell this guy. OP could have a cancer growing in him right now and he doesn't know. He could drop dead of an undiagnosed heart condition in 10 years. If you take waking up everyday for granted you're in for a world of misery.
>>
>>7935288
>To pass on that stuff to your children so they can have a better life and ensure the genes are passed on
I know people do this personally but career wise does anyone really do this? Even space you may say it's cuck work because the people working on Mars missions now may not live to see it happen however they at least get rover missions out of it. For this reason I don't even think researching life extension is that bad, it may help you live to 100 in your lifetime but immortality is a total joke, you will never get a single thing out of researching that. May as well research antigravity.
>>
>>7935527
No it's because we've all had this thought at some point but OP is the only one dumb enough to want to follow through with it.
>>
File: baka 1363640238216.jpg (56KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
baka 1363640238216.jpg
56KB, 512x512px
>>7935535
>dumb

He actually wants to cure death (something that has killed so many people needlessly) and therefore he's dumb!?
>>
File: immortal_lobster_crap.jpg (63KB, 840x550px) Image search: [Google]
immortal_lobster_crap.jpg
63KB, 840x550px
>>7935528
>it may help you live to 100 in your lifetime but immortality is a total joke, you will never get a single thing out of researching that. May as well research antigravity.
We have examples is nature of extreme longevity:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_immortality

Lobsters are thought to be immortal but they do die due to molting and cracked shells. if they could fix that, they could easily live forever.

imagine if lobsters had human technology and could manufacture perfect shells for themselves.. they could basically live forever.

saying that immortality is equivalent to antigravity is idiotic. anyway, stfu about things you know nothing about, child.
>>
But, if you are dead, are you not then immortal?
>>
>>7935575
>having options is bad
come on, that's a silly argument. if I want to live for 1000s of years so I can work on various problems, that's my choice. if you want to die of old age or illness because you're bored or are sick of living, that's your choice and shouldn’t impact me.

you're just projecting your own emotions and feeling onto others.
>>
>>7935274
>mentioning aubery de gray

go back to reading nostradamus fanfic
>>
>>7935571
>perfect shells for themselves.. they could basically live forever
Idiot
>>
>>7935571
Mammals are significantly more complicated than fucking crustaceans.
>>
>>7935141
Better figure out something soon...

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-2718
>>
>>7935673
It's not a matter of complexity. The fact that we are mortal is by evolutionary design, not biological necessity (save on the larger scale, where it'd be a problem). We've a half-life built into our genetic structure.

It's kinda like sleeping... It's a genetic defect that's pervasive in nearly every species - but one that most species could do fine without with minimal tweaking.
>>
>>7935698
> Ingesting the liquid produces the following properties in human beings: the ability to regenerate DNA damaged by sufficient duplication, heightened excitement of cellular duplication, vastly improved abilities in the repair of damaged tissue, and a frightening increase in the effectiveness of the human immune system. Upon testing the liquid on animal subjects, hostile bacteria and viral agents were destroyed immediately. Many reptiles and birds were unaffected, while higher primates experienced the same benefits as humans.
http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-006
>>
I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
-Mark Twain
>>
>>7935141
metformin bro
>>
File: kubler_ross.gif (5KB, 400x204px) Image search: [Google]
kubler_ross.gif
5KB, 400x204px
>>7935708
>bullshit rationalization
acceptance stage.

i bet he was old when he wrote that.
>>
>>7935714
He was.
Its not bullshit if its true. He came from nothing and returned to nothing its as simple as that. What will OP do when he is immortal?
>>
>>7935141

For some reason this subject really upsets the highschoolers as /sci/

My advice is to get at least a master in comp eng, medicine or related field. I did comp eng and I am now doing a PhD working with neurons which is pretty close to where I want to be.

Apart from being where the action happens getting a boatload of money is probably a good bet too.
>>
>>7935717
>Its not bullshit if its true. He came from nothing and returned to nothing its as simple as that.
Yeah, but he's still trying to rationalize death.

>What will OP do when he is immortal?
Masturbation!
>>
File: image.png (564KB, 719x719px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
564KB, 719x719px
Stop obeying to your survival instincts that affect your rational mind. You will die and end as everything in the World. Rationalise death, since everything is rational. Irrationality is an illusion created by your mind because of fear over death. Just accept it.
>>
File: Tissue_engineering_english.jpg (51KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Tissue_engineering_english.jpg
51KB, 960x720px
>>7935141
Tissue engineering. Replaceable organs would greatly lengthen our lifespans.

Also lolling at all the life cucks itt trying desperately to rationalize death. Sure before we existed we were nothing but now we do exist so you have to be an idiot to throw that away. It's people like you why we're so behind on this research constantly impeding us with your nonsense. I swear when I am diagnosed with a terminal illness in my life time and am still able I will hunt you faggots down. Not like it'd matter to you morons anyway since you say "life is so meaningless" to you.
>>
>All these pessimists
We have already done tests with rats that extended their lives by 1/3rd and thete is no reason to believe it won't work on humans. And once we're 100, there will be actual immortality.
>>
>>7935808
life cuck logic applied to money:
>before my paycheck I had no money
>now I have money so I should squander it

this is literally how retarded these people are. And they have the gall to call themselves rational.
>>
>>7935811
As rational as rationalwiki.
These people think they are so smart just because they are freshmen in Philosophy.
>>
I'm pretty sure the atoms which compose e

Yer atoms'll live forever bro
>>
>>7935813
Or at least your energy will.
>>
Think about the effects immortality would have on the world at its present state. Reproduction would need to be outlawed to ensure that we could live sustainably.

But we need to produce offspring to continue evolution.
>>
>>7935835
Nah, gene therapy is a better approach than random mutations, we at least would have some control over it. Also why outlaw reproduction when we can expand outward? Sure until the space industry develops but after no need.
>>
>>7935838
Come to think of it, we'd mutate and evolve ourselves without the need to pass that onto future generations.
>>
>>7935838
For sure. I suggest that we focus on space colonization before we focus on immortality. Beelining for immortality would have nothing but negatives for us at our current level of tech
>>
>>7935842
Well except that I'd want us to live to see that future. Focus on both.
>>
>>7935842
Not true. If immortality was attained. Only the elite would have access to it at first. Then as space colonization and deliberate gene manipulation became more viable, the cost would go down to the point that the general public would have access.
>>
File: 1457987427163.gif (3MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
1457987427163.gif
3MB, 800x450px
>>7935182
>soul
>>
Some of the yogic practices used by Indians who used to live to be 300 years old

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gZpf_FGj8o
>>
>>7935141
If You Meet Immortal on the Road, Kill Him
>>
>>7935862
Without proofs they are simply prestidigitators
>>
>>7935845
Fore space settlements necessary normal spaceship motors at first and anabiosis technology at second.
>>
>>7935141
Become insanely rich and give almost everything to the SENS research foundation.

If you can't, study molecular biology, biochemistry and biophysics and do research on ageing.
>>
Live forever or die trying.

You haters are the scum of the earth.
>>
Science and math everybody
>>
I've had the same goal for years op.
My plan was to become filthy rich and buy some of that Illuminati juice.
Despite the silliness I believe getting rich is an alternative route to immorality as long as individuals such as yourself are working on a cure.

If any of us want to live long enough for immorality tech we need to be filthy rich in 60 years. I don't believe any scientist doing the actual work will even get a sample without stealing it.
>>
You live forever, or you die trying

any other attitude and you may as well be a cuck
>>
>>7935982
Yeah achieving indefinite lifespans will require a lot of science. So it belongs here.
>>
>>7935571
Are we lobsters?
>>
>>7935808
if you tried to discuss space travel 1000 years ago you would get the same response because it was completely beyond the technology of the time. You are 100% certainly going to die just deal with it.
>>
>>7935141
Focus on finding and addressing direct mechanisms that contribute to ageing. "Mastery" of your field is immaterial. It doesn't matter how you find the mechanisms. It could be through simulation, tissue analysis, any number of things. Keep in mind scientific rigor and be wary of deception in the field, there are liars in there just like there are in anything else.

Don't discount current cancer, heart disease, and Alzheimer's research. They need to be solved in addition to aging mechanisms.

I reached the same conclusion a few years ago, though I've tempered the belief somewhat. Others aren't doing pointless things with their lives, they are parts of a whole system. They make rational decisions based on securing income and well-being for their families. The only reason you can focus on your research is because the system of the world exists. If you were alone in the wild, you would be forced to subsist and survive instead of research. Remember this and don't disparage others for their choices, but rather try to obtain as much parallel learning from them as possible.

I'm also entertaining the thought of starting a family, because when I speak with my cousins I find the similarity to how I was as a child striking. I think children are the stop-gap before immortality/life prolonging, and form a fairly elegant solution in their own right.

Focus on staying mentally healthy. Hope should be your motivation, not fear. Fear of death is immaterial, but hope for a future of long living and being able to help those around you is sound.
>>
>>7935571
antigravity not exist but shielding gravity is possible
>>
>>7935141
If you want to spend your life doing that, then "living" is "figuring out how to live forever".

Therefore you want to spend your life figuring out how to figure out forever.
>>
>>7936328
You. I like you. You understand the system
>>
>>7935717
No really OP what would you do with immortality no retardery.
>>
>>7935141
how about Bioengineering?
>>
>>7935717
>What will OP do when he is immortal?
Try to avoid heat death.
>>
>>7935141

Grow up man child
>>
>>7935157
Please continue your research. The world needs people like you, and none of your time is wasted if you are engrossed in what you do. Some people are convinced they need to travel or fuck as much as possible to be fulfilled, but it's all relative to the individual. I personally spend my time cleaning and focusing on environmental/ecological preservation, and I'm content with what I'm doing. But if you're gonna work hard at something, an occasional hiatus is good to refresh your mind and prevent burn out. Question though- should you achieve immortality, how would you feel as the rest of our species evolved and changed while you remained stagnate? Would you augment your body with technology extensively if it guaranteed extension of your life or immortality? Would you give up any specific sensory organs to achieve this?
>>
>>7935141
OP take a break and read the Epic of Gilgamesh, there's something you should learn from it.
>>
>>7937723
No OP read the fox and the grapes instead

>>7937046
Now you must feel great. You avoided critical thinking once again. Pheww
>>
>>7935141
Create a framework that connects to all of the brains necessary inputs and outputs, and digitally emulates all of your senses.You would be an immortal thought machine, at least. Something obtainable in our lives, and you could always get transplanted to a synthetic body in a couple hundred or so years when we can fabricate complete bodies with minimal discrepancies from the brains genetics.
>>
>>7935141
Immortality is physically impossible.
>>
>>7937952
I think the context is biological immortality
>>
>>7937924
>knuckle-dragger avoided critical thinking
... and thinking of any kind, because
knee-jerk reaction is so much easier.
>>
>>7937952
>implying you know what's possible
fgt pls
>>
>>7935141
>get at least a few million nanobots that pop into cells, compare their DNA with a healthy sample repairing any disparities, then pop out again
>???
>profit!

If you're healthy enough, the only things that will kill you are cancer, an accident, or violence.

Even a little bit of cell maintenance would reduce cancer risk drastically.
>>
>>7935393
Have you accepted that the Egyptian god Horus pre-dates jesus by centuries and that the story of jesus is an almost word-for-word plagiarism of the story of Horus?
>>
>>7936328
this guys is wise.
>>
>>7935407
>http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-2718
>slaved away at a corporation so he could buy pointless shit

People don't slave away just to buy pointless shit, they slave away to raise families or to pursue passions. In other words, they slave away to make themselves happy, because life is short.

Yes, working on life-extension or immortality research is useful and will help bring us closer to solutions for mortality, but you will not live a happy life while you are doing solely this.

Most people grow up, accept their death, and then move on with their lives doing what they want to do and what will make them happy.

OP is saying he wants to spend his whole life betting on slim odds that he will discover the solution to senescence and be able to utilize it before he dies.

OP isn't an idiot for trying, he's just a fool for betting the only life he'll ever have on a 1% chance.
>>
I'm hoping technology gets to the point where our organs (excluding the brain obviously) can be replaced with synthetic ones. That would lengthen our time here considerably.

Unfortunately, for everyone who's in the "just upload your brain to a computer" camp, that would work but not the way you think it would.

Just because you copy data doesn't mean that the data knows it was copied.
You can be uploaded to any computer in the world, no matter how advanced it is, and you'll still die.

To everyone else, you'd be alive inside of a computer, but your current state of consciousness would end.

Simulation is not actuality.

Our best bet is to get to the point where our bodies become modular and can have organs and even entire limbs swapped out at a moment's notice with no down-time.

Our weakness is our flesh.
>>
>>7939063
It wouldn't work how people would want it to in any way.

Our consciousness is a product of biological evolution. The thing containing your "brain" would have to mimic the neurological signalling of everything connected to your brain perfectly.

Your brain would be in a computer, but you would still need a simulation for your inner ear, the ability to move the muscles in your "eyes", a simulation that can replicate the nerve dendrites in your skin, etc.

Seriously, look up stories of people who have gone into sensory deprivation tanks. They lose their grasp of reality.

A brain in a computer without the ability to perfectly replicate everything else would mean you get a RoboCop 2 situation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJIjNs_s2NI#t=52s
>>
>become immortal
>live in a sheltered bunker away from everyone because you're so scared of dying
>never actually experience anything

fucking retard
>>
My advice: take a bunch of LSD. You'll get a visceral understanding of the concept of infinite time, and it will be terrifying. After that, mortality won't seem so bad.
>>
>>7935141
I'm also trying to live forever so far I'm doing great ;-)
>>
>>7939120
Same here.
Not a day dead yet.
>>
File: stoner_degenerates.png (538KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
stoner_degenerates.png
538KB, 800x533px
>>7939100
FUCK OFF JUNKIE DEGENERATE

4chan is a StraightxEdge website. Disgusting druggie loosers aren't welcome here.
>>
evolution never created a being without an expiration date=must be a problem if you could live forever. Maybe its a bad idea to give microbes infinate time to work out how to kill your whole species.
>>
>>7939100
actually really sound advice. drugs aren't necessary, as meditation, or sensory deprivation will probably get you to the same place.
>>
Get rich so you can afford the immortality surgery when it comes.
>>
>>7941008
your post is undermined by a severe misunderstanding of the possible procedures that could lead one day to life extension

on other news, you're a faggot
>>
File: gorilla_smoking_whiskey.jpg (36KB, 288x228px) Image search: [Google]
gorilla_smoking_whiskey.jpg
36KB, 288x228px
>>7939138
>>
>>7935141
Idiot, why are you afraid of death? Life is suffering, what comes after life is the release from the suffering. How can you not realize this, fool?
>>
So I've had this idea for a bit. Human cells have large molelcules that repair and promote the proper replication of the cell's DNA.

Mitochondria, to my knowledge, don't. Their DNA deteriorates over a few decades of replication. Can we give mitochondria the ability to repair their own DNA? It would be most effective in an egg cell amiright?
>>
>>7935571
So can we identify what makes lobsters functionally immortal and incorporate that into the human genome?
>>
>>7935157
No you're right, we need people like you, and people like me. I'm devoting my life to aging research and I hope others will do the same. Godspeed anon, maybe we can use each other some day.
>>
Possibly take out your brain and replace your body with one that can't age, only problem is to find a way to keep the brain alivd, to find a way to re-attach the brain to a new vessle and finding a suitable vessle
>>
>>7935315
What'd the documentary about him reveal that was so illusion shattering?
>>
>>7935252
I think being able to store our intelligence and not having to start over every 70 years is the best route.

Being a carbon based organic life form is fun and all but if we really want to continue to push the limits of intelligence will we need to create an AI that can learn across the ages
I wonder if humanity would still be productive without the pressure and anxieties that the reality of aging and mortality brings to the table.
>>
>>7941312
Yea man what's up with these lobsters lol. shit cannot be true that they only dies from molting
Thread posts: 117
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.