[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any website/book/whatever with logic riddles? Example: A group

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

File: 1457802671119.jpg (103KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1457802671119.jpg
103KB, 960x960px
Any website/book/whatever with logic riddles?

Example:

A group of people with assorted eye colors live on an island. They are all perfect logicians -- if a conclusion can be logically deduced, they will do it instantly. No one knows the color of their eyes. Every night at midnight, a ferry stops at the island. Any islanders who have figured out the color of their own eyes then leave the island, and the rest stay. Everyone can see everyone else at all times and keeps a count of the number of people they see with each eye color (excluding themselves), but they cannot otherwise communicate. Everyone on the island knows all the rules in this paragraph.

On this island there are 100 blue-eyed people, 100 brown-eyed people, and the Guru (she happens to have green eyes). So any given blue-eyed person can see 100 people with brown eyes and 99 people with blue eyes (and one with green), but that does not tell him his own eye color; as far as he knows the totals could be 101 brown and 99 blue. Or 100 brown, 99 blue, and he could have red eyes.

The Guru is allowed to speak once (let's say at noon), on one day in all their endless years on the island. Standing before the islanders, she says the following:

"I can see someone who has blue eyes."

Who leaves the island, and on what night?
>>
Like this?
http://www.allstarpuzzles.com/logic/index.html
>>
>>7934980
something like that yes but from this century
>>
>>7934978

You have way too much time to spare.
>>
>>7934987
maybe
>>
hm?
>>
>>7934978
Everyone who guesses correctly leaves on the first night, everyone who guessed wrongly the first night will leave the second night (assuming they aren't idiots). Guru smd
>>
>>7934978
>tfw no qt nazi gf
>>
Autist FYI here: everyone on the planet with blue eyes is descended from one individual.
>>
>>7935048
everything on the planet descended from the same simple organic compound billions of years ago you dumbass
>>
>>7935051
Possibly untrue. Scientists think that life started and was wiped out a ton of times before it stuck. Possibly there was some intermixing between puddles of primordial ooze.
>>
>>7935048
I have no problems having sex with at least 2nd cousins, so I don't really give a hoot. We can have beautiful blue eyed children.
>>
>>7935060
Incorrect. There was no second genesis.
>>
>>7935068
How do we know?
>>
>>7935084
because dna you retard
>>
False you fucking monkey pet.Genetic mutations don't occur solely through breeding. There had to've been an environmental condition which led to the initial mutation anyway; meaning there'd be a likelihood of another individual developing the same mutation.
>>
>>7935166
To:
>>7935048
>>
>>7934978
I have one, OP. I read it on a forum years ago and didn't look at the answer because I wanted to figure it out myself. Didn't work out too well. Please give it a shot if you can.

Say there's an irregular cake, meaning that 2 slices will not necessarily have the same content even if the size is the same. The value of a slice served to someone is subjective, based on the size, content and his personal tastes.

Therefore, if two people are give a whole cake, the method for distributing it is the following. One of them cuts it into 2 halves he considers equal, and the other picks the piece he likes the most out of the 2. This way, they're both guaranteed a piece worth at least 1/2 cake of subjective value.

So the question is, can you extrapolate the previous method for 3 people, so each gets a slice subjectively worth at least 1/3 cake?
>>
>>7936565
1) One guy cuts it to three parts
2) 2 other choose the best looking part for them. If they chose the same one, the first guy takes one of 2 unchosen parts.
3) 2 guys divide the rest of the cake by say cutting the two part that left in half once more and use your said tactics.
>>
>>7936591
I came up with something like this, but it doesn't work for every case. For step 3 to work, the 2 pieces left have to be worth at least 2/3 cake for both the 2 guys. The slice the first guy took could be worth 50% for one of them or something.

You can cover more cases by adding more conditions to step 2, but I still can't come up with something that covers every possibility.

1) One guy cuts it to three parts
2) 2 other choose the best looking part for them. If they choose a different one, the problem ends. If they choose the same one, make them also choose the one the 2nd one they like the most.
3) If they have the same 2nd preference, the first guy can pick the remaining slice, and they join the other two and divide them again using the method for 2 people.

I still don't know what to do when they choose the same best slice but choose a different 2nd one.
>>
>>7934978
The blue-eyed people leave all on the 100th night.
>>
Anything by Smullyan (for example To Mock a Mockingbird)
>>
>>7934978
At least attribute your riddle to XKCD, but it's the 100th night.
>>
>>7936565
No you can't, assuming throwing out parts of the cake is not allowed and the slices have to be whole pieces. There is no perfectly analogous extension of the divide and choose method to 3 people.
>>
There's no way to know an alien technology changed one of the person's eye color at any point. Therefore, deduction is impossible.
>>
>>7934978
The Moscow Puzzles

The Moscow Puzzles: 359 Mathematical Recreations (Dover Recreational Math) https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486270785/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_.fM6wbPE0J3VX
>>
>>7934978
Others point at the said color eyed people and each night more people leave, after awhile everybody but the guru and the rest of them can leave after the knowledge that they are the last ones and that they must have that specific eye color
>>
>>7937006
>

link?
>>
Number puzzles are lame. At least post logic puzzles. Anyone can crunch some numbers, people.
>>
>>7937981
checked it out, it's interesting but not what I'm looking for

someone told me this one is good

http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Russian-Roulette-Problems/dp/1851687785
>>
>>7934978
Check https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.adidiego.lasfinge if you are into android apps
>>
File: a-stinging-photobomb.jpg (73KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
a-stinging-photobomb.jpg
73KB, 600x450px
>>7936565
>guy1 divides the cake into 3 parts of equal value to him.
>the two other guys pick 2 of thirds worth at least 2/3 to them.
>if they chose the same 2 pieces, guy1 takes the remaining piece and the two guys split the two thirds using the case of two people.
>if they did not choose the same two thirds, then each of the original thirds is claimed by two people (each guy has 2 pieces of the original 2/3 and claims it is worth at least 2/3 to them). for each of the thirds, they split it the using the 2 person way. then each will have at least a piece of cake worth 1/3.

i am autistic
>>
>>7939001
typo: each guy has 2 pieces of the original *3 pieces and claims it is worth at least 2/3 to them

note: you have to assume the value is not all isolated to a single point. ie., the value is spread over some area
>>
moar?
>>
>>7934978
All the blue eyed people leave on the 100th night
>>
>>7936614
Okay I think I figured this out. Similar to what you guys are doing. Guy a cuts the whole cake in nine equal value pieces to him. Now guys b and c take turns choosing pieces out of the 9. They are allowed to both want the same piece, and when this happens you put that piece to the side and continue. If they both want the same piece again those two pieces are put together and cut as if it were one cake with two people. If they both choose pieces and there is only one disagreement they put that piece back together with the left over and recut it. Guy a just chooses three pieces that will never cause disagreements since they're all equal to him.

Obviously there will be cases where cutting it in three would work and not cause disagreement but I'm pretty sure cutting it in three till a disagreement arises then instantly cutting it in 9 doesn't always work.
>>
>>7940830
>>7940830
>take turns choosing pieces
how many pieces? what is the nature of the other two guys selection?

i already solved it here: >>7939001
>>
>>7941224
They each choose 3 pieces. Now that I think about it again I'm sure your solution also works. I was pretty tired this morning when I was reading this thread and didn't pay to much attention to what other people had said.

Is there anything wrong with my solution though?
>>
>>7941270
>>7941224
The nature is the pieces they want. As in the three that they deem to be highest in value. Also in case I wasn't clear about the case when person b and c choose the same three pieces after they have both said they want two of the same pieces those pieces are put together and re cut. Then since they both only have one piece they need to continue choosing until they get three.
>>
>>7941294
>>7941270
yes there is something wrong with your solution. e.g. suppose the values are distributed so that the two guys choose three of the same pieces and those three pieces are only worth a little more than 1/3 (ie. less than 2/3). there is no way to split the three pieces so each has at least 1/3 value.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.