/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Polymath

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2

File: maxresdefault.jpg (268KB, 1701x1134px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
268KB, 1701x1134px
Does anyone else want to be a polymath? I want to gain mastery in EE, physics, mathematics, chemistry, NE, fucking all that shit lmao
>>
>>7934889
all French engineers are polymaths, or can easily be, for those who aren't already.

better start studying now.
>>
>>7934889
Isnt that the end goal of seeking as much knowledge tho?
>>
>>7934889

You will find all that you learn has brought you only closer to death. Stop caring for worldly things and focus on your LORD Christ Jesus. The end is near, why waste it on retarded ineffective subjects?

Theology and theocracy are the only ways to go, in Jesus name.

Amen
>>
>>7935078
/amen
>>
>>7935093
/amen thread
>>
>>7935078
>>7935093
>>7935110
Samefag
>>
>>7935011
Not to most people
>>
>>7934906
How are they polymaths?
>>
>>7934889
you forgot
>economics
>geography
>history
>languages/linguistics
>medicine
>law
>architecture
>geology
>nutrition
>kinesiology
>>
Polymath means you're also good at liberal arts. Get to reading
>>
>>7935153
I'm not interested in those
>>
>>7935205
>polymath
>not interested

>semimath
>>
>>7935154
Not necessarily
>>
>>7935207
What? I'm interested but I'd rather do said things above. Poly maths are people who have expertise in multiple subjects not all of them
>>
>>7934889
>mastery
Sorry but a jack of all trades is a master of none. Literally.

Focus on only one. Trust me.
>>
>>7935253
>Implying you can't be a master in multiple fields
>>
>>7935253
I'm going to master two at a time mathematics and physics then move on to ee
>>
>>7934889
Practice math above all anon. Get good at the basics to the point where calculus becomes just as easy as algebra. Math is the language in which all of these subjects communicate
>>
>>7934889
a lot of things are interesting and i'm pretty knowledgeable. probably gonna end up doing something with cohomology and having a family i'm sick of being miserable. maybe play the market for fun weeeee.
>>
>>7935124
Not to most people
>>
>>7934889
being a polymath is one of my dreams, but I'm a lot stupider than most people on /sci/ or /lit/ so it's kind of rough.

>coding (pretty good)
>writing (bad but getting better)
>cooking (was great but getting worse)

physics is a major interest of mine but it's just an interest because I can't keep up with the math
>>
File: Archimedes.jpg (25KB, 360x400px) Image search: [Google]
Archimedes.jpg
25KB, 360x400px
Most of the world's greatest polymaths had a strong background in math and philosophy
>>
>>7935381
>coding
you mean scripting. in which case, kek
>>
>>7934889
that happens when you know nothing of any of them. as soon as you start studying any of them seriously you stick with it for a while. there's no time to do so much.
>>
>>7935304
You really can't anymore.
>>
>>7934889
>no programming
> its 20 fucking 16
>>
>>7936040
I love philosophy I just don't know the terms you would attribute to different theories. Like I have had so many different thoughts that are actually already ideas like tabula rasa.
>>
>>7936350
Yes there is
>>7936362
yes you can people are just lazy and society has evolved to where people do one job and that's it.
>>
>>7934906
They have to go to university for 16 years just to be an engineer?
>>
>>7935078
/amen
>>
>>7936362
Why not? I know someone who owns a restaurant, plays in a local band, is a teacher, has a masters degree in math, and knows how to speak 3 languages. He's only in his late 30's too. Oh and he paints too
>>
>>7936362
This is somewhat true. Areas today are so much more advanced than they were 2 millennia ago that even making a small contribution to a field can take many years of study and research.
>>
>>7935131
I think the idea is that they know maths and French.
>>
>>7936953
That's not the same as being an expert in many fields. It doesn't take mastery to speak a language or play in a local band. Shit, I did these things in high school.
>>
>>7936953

None of those things speak to "mastery".

If you told me he sold out concerts playing a solo instrument, is a world-leader in a field of mathematics, or has written novels in foreign languages, then that would be much, much closer to mastery.
>>
>>7937237
Umm, literally nobody but maybe Da Vinci has been a polymath to that level.
>>
>>7937332
Maybe but there was a time you could definitely be a major figure in multiple fields (what i would say master implies). That time doesnt exist anymore. Having a couple hobbies and acting like that is mastery is insincere.
>>
>>7937343
Yes, but there were like 5 fields back then. Being better than 90% of the nation in all those fields should make you a polymath. He also has won teacher of the year for the city so he's good at that too.
>>
>>7935078
/amen
>>
>>7937365
so you just want to be mediocre at a bunch of things? that's not being a polymath. that's easy
>>
>polymath

Reddit / TED tier

pathetic.
>>
>>7935078
amen my BROTHER!
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.