[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone become smarter?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

I am a talentless dumbass, is there a documented way to improve intelligence? It's becoming frustrating
>>
>>7933951
>Can someone become smarter?
No, deal with it asap.
Practice, practice and more practice is the key to everything. Practice at math and you will get more used to thinking of the solutions in problems the more you solve. No secret techniques. If you don't want to do that, take up a trade and live a comfortable life.
>>
>>7933956
I am not interested in math particularly, but general analytical skills that are correlated to math as well. So there is no hope to improve that?
>>
>>7933951

i would go to coursera edx and khan academy and start learning the engineering courses. It would take maybe 2 years but you can prlly prove to someone you arent a dumbass even with no certificate.
>>
>>7933972
Intelligence isn't just analytical skills. Analytical skills, you can cultivate through practice as well. You might not be an innate analytical argumentator, but you can practice and become a lot better at it. Doing anything from contemplating on philosophical problems, to solving problems in any branch of science, to doing this >>7933979 will certainly only benefit you. It might be harder for you than others, but you can make adapt your analytical skills to relevant real-life arguments if you practice. What I'm saying is, you can't increase your upper limit or you might not be able to learn things and discuss a topic as deftly as others, but you can train your analytical skills and become better at it over time. As I said, training is the key.
>>
>>7933951
Yes, neuroplasticity is a real thing. Everything is possible if you put in the required amount of effort.
>>
File: everyone is stupid but me.jpg (15KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
everyone is stupid but me.jpg
15KB, 480x360px
>tfw smart but lazy
>>
>>7933951

Solve puzzles like the on here in the OP and the dragon one further down: https://warosu.org/sci/thread/S7896572

See if you like doing that and if you do, make it a habit like crossword puzzles or chess problems. Try solving elaborate chess problems too that might help. Not sure if crossword puzzles help more than memory and vocabulary but they can be fun and work your rigour.
>>
Dude. You framed a thoughtful, existential / philosophical question. You did in a self depricating and funny way. There are no spelling or grammar errors (except the fucking missing final period).

Can't you see?

You are intelligent! You are just comparing yourself to others and have swallowed, it seems, a fair amount of criticism from assholes. Let that shit go.

Drop your [mental] chains and let yourself shine.
>>
File: 1448124503419.jpg (30KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1448124503419.jpg
30KB, 600x600px
>>7934099
While it's true that, on 4chan of all places, you tend to lose grasp on how the average people is unbelievably stupid, it doesn't means OP is smart.

Working hard is of course a given, but we should not raise his expectations too high.
He needs to accept he cannot do everything he'd want to do, and learn to be content with what he can do.
>>
>>7934031
>tfw smart but lazy
Then you're not going to be for very long.
>>
>>7933951
As someone who is a jack of all trades master of none. I surpass people with ease but I get bored..

Why I tell you this is because, I don't believe in intelligence as something preprogrammed. What it comes down to is hard work and dedication. Rid yourself of doubt, distractions and work hard. If you do, you can do whatever.
>>
>>7934126
The only thing that makes one "smart" is intuition, but that's just experience, so do a lot of different things, acknowledge patterns and see if they are transferable to other things. Creativity doesn't really exist it's all just things that spring out of the accumulation of knowledge. So just work, yeap.
>>
>>7933951

Run a small current through your cerebral cortex

It's been proven to induce savant abilities
>>
Op here. Thank you all for the answers, but I wanted to clarify that I am not being self-deprecating, I just hate being averagely retarded like most of the people, and thought of making a thread about it since it's an interesting topic to discuss.

>>7933995
I am not braindead

>>7934027
Can you expand?

>>7934033
I don't think they help in a noticeable way except for gents like Genie.
Especially chess puzzles, they are too specific of a skill and I personally didn't experience any improvement whatsoever in my abilities outside of chess.

>>7934099
Not a native, "which final period" do you refer to ?
>>
File: 110.gif (53KB, 300x100px) Image search: [Google]
110.gif
53KB, 300x100px
>>7933951
>It's becoming frustrating
Be happy you're dumb. If you were smart like me, you'd see how pointless everything was and dumb everyone is and become really depressed.
That I have not killed myself yet is another attribute to my intelligence.

Pic somewhat related, it was the 4chan banner as I wrote this post.
>>
>>7934391
if you're depressed you aren't actually intelligent. all truly intelligent people are either agnostic or singularist, and therefore either see, or don't care about meaning.
>>
>>7933951
Look bro, there is no instant IQ up pill you can take if thats what ur asking
>>
>>7933951
>dumb
Even the dumbest people have accomplished much in our world and done much good. Like Forrest Gump, if he was real. IQ doesn't predict how successful you will be in life, because other factors play into this.

One final note is- you are probably talented in a specific way. A specific way that others are not. Can be quite simple or rather complex.
>>
>>7934122
not going to be lazy?
>>
>>7936033
yeah, like jerking off while upside-down on a couch while your dog licks your butthole
>>
>>7936033
>>7936025
Isn't IQ bullshit?
>>
>>7936442
Depends on weather you have a high IQ or not
>>
eat more fish.
that fish oil shit helps rejuvenate the gray matter in your brain. the gray matter protects your neurons or some shit for better node connections or some shit.
>>
>>7934109

I agree, there are many many stupid people. But I don't think that is because they are not intelligent. Our societies delight in making stupid people and they are very very good at it.

What I mean, as mentioned in another post, is EVERYONE has a talent...the hard part is finding it. Were everyone encouraged to try things until they find something that consumes them to the point of obsession then we would have a happy society. You like science? Cool! Do it. You like drawing? Cool! Do it!

So OP needs to try shit. The internet is a huge classroom. Just try shit until you fucking find something you like. The intelligence you claim you don't have will suddenly fucking appear.
>>
>>7934291

"It's becoming frustrating"

That is an English sentence. All English sentences feel naked and helpless without an ending period (.). Of course, you can use punctuation, or lack thereof, to make an artistic or linguistic point...

...or perhaps your percieved lack of intelligence is simply just you (subconciously) sinking your own self, in which case you left the final period off to "prove" that you were stupid. I do shit like this all the time.
>>
>>7934552
Source?
>>
>>7936332
this is the guy who thought he was smart, everyone.
>>
>>7934552
>if you're depressed you aren't actually intelligent
Nope. In fact, being intelligent puts you at a 4x higher relative risk (not causally, just correlatively) for bipolar disorder, which is a variety of depression.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/why-smarter-people-are-more-likely-be-mentally-ill-270039
>>
>>7936936
I'm not the guy who you first responded too...
the reason I replied with that question was to point out that your statement was ambiguous...
Oh, but you knew that.. because you're smarter than me.
>>
File: adorno 006.jpg (1MB, 2550x3510px) Image search: [Google]
adorno 006.jpg
1MB, 2550x3510px
>>7933951

Serious answer...

You have a certain potential, whose upper and lower bounds are to a certain extent, elastic.

In other words you can become smarter by becoming less dumb.

What is dumb?

Dumb is believing things that aren't true. Prioritizing things which aren't important. Believing in things that aren't there.

Etc.

The world is a bunch of information, mostly false, some true. What do? Top down, seek experts, teachers, knowledge. Bottom up, practice (consistently) disciplines like Logic and analysis (for propositions, not mathematics). Since mathematics are propositions and you'll be evaluating mostly propositions, the former enhances practice of the latter.

Examine first core beliefs. write down and analyze prior beliefs, why beliefs exist, and what the reasons for those beliefs are. Use Logic to evaluate beliefs. If they don't stand to scrutiny, adopt belief in superceding beliefs. (You thought Jehovah was God, finding no logic to the belief you now think Jehovah or even God is probably not true).

Physically, lifting weights and running do enhance cognition. Pounding shots does not. But a little alcohol is OK with friends.

Write down a general outline of your life and a statement of purpose for your life (self-chosen). Review and revise on a periodic basis.

The rest takes care of itself however you also need to keep in mind at all times that you are totally capable of making logical mistakes.

From the foundation you build a skill-set and fact-based frame of reference which will, sooner or later, make you smarter, at least relatively, than most people.
>>
>>7937425
>ambiguous
Lmao
Pretty sure everyone here understood that a joke doesn't have to be grammatically precise, jokes work when you leave it to the listener to fill in the gap. I'm sorry you don't have the capacity fill out the gaps. I hope they cure Aspergers soon.
>>
>>7933951
Enthusiasm dedication passion that is what you need
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.