[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is ADHD a meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

Yesterday a guy was giving pamphlets that said that the man who discovered ADHD affirmed the inexistence of the disorder.
>>
>>7926579
bump
>>
thats probably because he didnt discover it, and it was already labeled, he just wanted to sell drugs. hysteria has probably had 5 different names in the last century itself
>>
>>7926579
>discovered
*invented
>>
>>7926579
This is now adderall general.
>>
http://www.naturalnews.com/040938_ADHD_fictitious_disease_psychiatry.html

Seems too surreal for me.
>>
HYPERKINETIC
>>
I met a researcher at upitt, who was studying add/adhd..her group had a lot of problems with the diagnosis rate, I guess around 90% of children diagnosed were males. Didn't stay in contact with her, so no idea if anything came of their research.
>>
>>7926858
>natural news

absolute bullshit
>>
ADHD is probably a real thing for a very small percentage of children, not the huge proportions that are receiving the diagnosis and medication these days. ADHD is mostly a meme excuse used by parents to explain why their child behaves like a jackass. The cure, in most cases, is not drugs, but a few good spankings.
>>
>>7926895
and what about the concentration problems?
>>
>>7926579
>the man who discovered ADHD affirmed the inexistence of the disorder.

Does that matter? If Einstein at the end of his life had said something along the lines of "Relativity was bullshit" would that matter? It wouldn't change the evidence that backed it up, it wouldn't change the independent verifications. It would just be a guy, no matter his name, arguing against the evidence.

>TLDR: the existence of a thing is independent of the belief people have in it.
>>
>>7926915
Some small number of kids might actually need medical help. The majority need to be taught discipline. My wife is an elementary school teacher and at least 1 in 3 kids in her class are on ADHD meds. Do you really believe this many kids have a medical problem requiring medication? Or, is it more likely that this problem is the result of children not receiving the care, training, and discipline that they need from their parents? This is a systemic problem, not a medical one.
>>
>>7926937
What do you mean by discipline. I mean, I suppose you don't take light aggression as a form of discipline, because the parents don't want to beat his kid because this show that they hate their children.
>>
ADHD is a set of symptoms, not a mental disorder.
So yeah, no shit.

You americans should really fucking stop giving drugs like adderall to fucking 5 year olds.
It's criminally neglectful and dangerous.
>>
>>7926944
I mean solid negative reinforcement. You don't have to spank a child on a regular basis as long as they believe that it is a real possibility.
>>
>>7926992
some psychologists have said that punishment (physical or psychological) isn't the best way to educate a kid.

you see, the kid would think that her parents hate him, causing unnecessary trauma.
>>
>>7927027
The psychologists are wrong.
>>
Children are creative and want by themselves explore the world because that's our mammalian programming, we learn by play and exploration.
Schools are fucking factories producing work force.
And everyone is fucking surprised that it doesn't work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U
Solution? Let's drug children so they sit still! Who gives a fuck about consequences, it's not our children!
I fucking hate this world.
>>
File: 80HD.jpg (36KB, 457x568px) Image search: [Google]
80HD.jpg
36KB, 457x568px
>>7927044
>I fucking hate this world.

There's an easy solution to that.
>>
>>7926610
kek
>>
>>7927061
Blacks have to be by far the stupidest race on Earth,
>>
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/268016.php

>A new study by the University of Cambridge in the UK questions the widely held view that dysfunction in dopamine - a chemical that controls the brain's reward and pleasure centers - is the main cause of ADHD, a condition characterized by inattentiveness, hyperactivity and impulsiveness.

>Writing in the latest issue of the journal Brain, the researchers, from the University's Medical Research Council (MRC)/Wellcome Trust Behavioural and Clinical Neuroscience Institute (BCNI), suggest instead that the main cause of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is to be found in structural differences in the brain's grey matter.

>"These findings question the previously accepted view that major abnormalities in dopamine function are the main cause of ADHD in adult patients. While the results show that Ritalin has a 'therapeutic' effect to improve performance, it does not appear to be related to fundamental underlying impairments in the dopamine system in ADHD."

It is and isn't a meme. There are people who are more inattentive, hyperactive, and impulsive than everyone else, and those people are labeled "ADHD" so they can be studied. Everyone exhibits those traits at some time in their life, but not all people who do have ADHD, only the ones who exhibit those traits the most often.

It's not a matter of "does or doesn't exist", it's about frequency of the behavior, relative to all other frequencies.
>>
>>7926579
That was on his literal deathbed iirc and was a bit vague.
>>
IDK if its real. I was diagnosed with ADHD, but my parents and I both refused medication. I went to therapy where I learned to focus and still myself.

I think parents from the 80s to the present just have no idea how to keep their kids still and focused in this era of caffeine and sugar and just overall over stimulation.
>>
>>7926895
Personally, I have no sense of time when I'm off my meds (and before I resumed taking them after an 8 year hiatus). The idea of standing in a line gave me major, crippling anxiety. It's weird to explain, but ever since I began taking regular doses of concerta I became "aware" of what time passage "feels" like. It's hard to go through life without a proper sense of time. I couldn't make proper judgments on how long something would take to get done, because unless I had previously reforded and memorized how long a process took, it all felt the same.

There is definitely something wrong with me, even if it isn't ADHD. I also have facial blindness and some chronic sleep disorder.

The concerta helps me feel normal and not on the verge of tears at how noisy and impulsive my brain is. I can also stay awake and alert for 16 hours without constantly dozing off or being too lethargic to move

It's really only been a positive influence in my life. I'm sad to know I'll have to withdraw one day and go back to being the person I was without it
>>
>>7927109
Its funny that I "have ADHD" and never took meds for it and I am like a clock. As long as I've seen a clock that day, I can guess the time at any point of the day within 10minutes.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.