/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there actually any high-tier mathematicians /logiciens or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: biocentric.jpg (124KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
biocentric.jpg
124KB, 720x720px
Are there actually any high-tier mathematicians /logiciens or even scientists or inventors that were also drunks or drug-addicts?

Seems like litreature is littered with them, but in hard sciences it seems like the worst you can find is einstein smoking his pipe.

Why is this?
>>
>>7922092
Erdôs was famous for using amphetamines, a popular habit among a lot of the mathematicians I know
>>
>>7922092
Because history is full of addict in general.
>>
Because high-level math is a drug in and of itself
>>
if I remember correctly I think a lot of phycisists and mathematicians used LSD
>>
File: url-1.jpg (10KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
url-1.jpg
10KB, 225x225px
>>7922092
>>
>>7922178
If living your life as one giant speed fueled mathematical blur is wrong, I don't want to be right
>>
>>7922178
This is a counterexample to the "lol drugs are bad" fags

Drugs can have a net positive to society
>>
>>7922092

Dr. Kary Mullis, credited with vastly improving the Polymerase Chain Reaction for synthesizing large quantities of DNA, is a self-avowed proponent of the merits of LSD. He won the Nobel Prize for inventing PCR. For you nonbiologists, PCR completely revolutionized both molecular biology research as well as forensic science (DNA fingerprinting). It is like the invention of quantum mechanics in physics.
>>
Green (of Green's functions and identities) died of alcoholism
>>
>>7922278
+1
>>
>>7922278
+1
>>
>>7922400
>This is a counterexample

Are you familiar with the expression "the exception that proves the rule?" The fact that Erdos and his amphetamines are the only example anyone ever brings up should tell you something.
>>
>>7922178
>Erdôs

Couldn't even handel the Monthy Hall problem.
>>
>>7922782
Dude.
Counterexamples are a logic thing, not empirical
He was obviously being facetious
>>
>>7922092
richard feynman was a pothead
>>
>>7923311
>feynman
dayum, bitches is the trippiest drug there is my nigga
>>
Tesla drank daily, thinking alcohol was the elixir of life. Not sure how heavy his drinking was though.

Von Neumann was known to drink heavily at the frequent parties he hosted, but who knows if he drank outside of that.

Edison frequently drank some kind of wine mixed with coca leaves, which possibly explains his sleeping patterns

Erdos took amphetamines for most of his life, but his dosage was pretty low

There's surprisingly few famous scientists/mathematicians who were degenerate addicts.. although there were probably alot more with habits that nobody knew about
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.