[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is astronomy a useless science?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: Hubble_01.jpg (272KB, 1536x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Hubble_01.jpg
272KB, 1536x1024px
answer me this /sci/:

why stare into the vast depths of space and learn about exoplanets, galaxies, black holes, quasars, supernovas and other shit in the universe when we can NEVER go there because of the speed of light limit?

IMHO instead of spending billions of dollars on useless telescopes, detectors and interplanetary probes to chase fantasies, we should focus the money into research where we try to actually build a working (not an animated proof of concept BS), AN ACTUAL WORKING rocket engine that can atleast reach 10% of the speed of light at a relatively high power output/input efficiency, for starters.
>>
Nearly all "science" is useless. Astronomy has the advantage of rarely being actively harmful or misleading.
>>
>>7919953
Depends on your attention span as a human being I guess. Before the earth existed the universe existed and after the earth and sun are gone the universe will continue to exist. Information in the universe is never created or destroyed just ever rearranged, so you exist in the past, in the present and in the future. Even before you were born and you will continue to exist after you die as the rest of the rest of the universe. Are you important? Probably not.
>>
File: 5Tz5bRmh.jpg (50KB, 383x750px) Image search: [Google]
5Tz5bRmh.jpg
50KB, 383x750px
>>7919953
>Why bother studying the Sun when we can never fly into it?
>>
>>7920736
It is a legitamate question
>>
all space age tech can, and is, applied to earth. if you can successfully create a biome on an uninhabitable mass, you can recreate component of that in an evergrowing society. many, if not all, technological breakthrough applied to society can be attributed to space exploration
>>
>>7919953
10% the speed of light is around 70million miles an hour

get real faggot
the only way to explore the galaxy is telescopes/probes
>>
>>7921278
>It is a legitamate question
... posed by illegitimate poseurs.
>>
That shit ain't happening with our current technology. A new form of propulsion will have to be invented first, which will immediately be applied to cars, trains, planes, etc.
>>
>>7919953
Why did we try to learn about the moon when we could NEVER go there because of the speed of a human being
>>
File: 1440112334162.jpg (74KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
1440112334162.jpg
74KB, 500x374px
>>7921343
>bending the physical laws of the universe to allow faster than light travel will be applied to cars and trains
>>
>>7921353
fucking lol. planes flying through space n shit
>>
>>7921353
OP said 10% of light travel, that's what I was implying. Guess it's been a while since english 1010 eh?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.