[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to work for google, first as a software engineer then

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: _85310869_85310700.jpg (15KB, 660x371px) Image search: [Google]
_85310869_85310700.jpg
15KB, 660x371px
I want to work for google, first as a software engineer then as a researcher into immortality at calico labs. Lastly I would transition to neurological and cyberdization so I can lend a hand in the transhumanist effort once google unveils that department. All the while I want to work on making robots at boston dynamics for fun when I have vacation time.

How can I achieve my goals? What schools should I go to?
>>
>>7915557
>How can I achieve my goals?
By working hard, your ass off if you can.

>What schools should I go to?
The best engineering school you can get into.
>>
>>7915561
Ok I can do that.
>>
>>7915557
>study immortality at calico
It's a racket. I know ppl close to the project. They aren't close to anything beneficial to anyone but Google's brand.
>>
File: Aubrey-de-Gray.jpg (17KB, 350x234px) Image search: [Google]
Aubrey-de-Gray.jpg
17KB, 350x234px
>>7915570
Google is smart enough to know that it's departments have to be economically feasible so of course they are going with tried and true methods of making money off of longevity and I wouldn't except them to just unveil immortality to the general public.
However I do think that they are serious about making advancements in radical life extension if only for themselves.

I had this crazy idea of making a synthetic organ that produces nano/micro-machines which address all of the repair and maintenance problems put forth by aubrey de grey.
>>
As we have seen in recent times, making a Wordpress theme of an old imageboard is suffice to get you into Google.
>>
>>7915584
It's not a crazy idea. It's an idea thousands of people both well-versed and not-so-well-versed in the science have proposed. The problem is, there are many problems that must be solved first which we aren't close to solving, and frankly, throwing fucking MapReduce at it isn't going to give Google the 10x they claim over more conventional research avenues (hospitals, schools, Big Pharma, etc)

Again, not to say longevity research isn't a good thing, and that progress isn't being made. It's just that Google's effort into it is more about fleecing über-rich investors who are petrified by death and continuing their cutting-edge brand than actually getting anything done.
>>
>>7915590
Congratulations moot
>>
>>7915601
Well they are getting the money, which is something.

if they have enough money, which I think they do, and they are serious, I think they will get it done, not for the general public, but for specific customers and investors sure.
>>
>>7915557
Sounds about as lucky as getting into NASA
>>
>>7915557
the calico institute are mostly chemists and medfags, dunno what you interests in software is gonna contribute
>>
>>7915557
I was very excited about calico, but it has been 2 years and we've seen nothing.

Only announcements about their collaborations. No papers, no official roadmaps, fucking nothing.

>>7915570
What are they working on?
>>
Just tell them you know moot, he'll vouch for you.
>>
>>7916652

>I was very excited about calico, but it has been 2 years and we've seen nothing

Well, of course. It has only been two years.
>>
>>7915557
>How can I achieve my goals

Let me help you a little.

What are CS graduates doing at google? Basically just code monkeying youtube's design, server side code aswell as other google property like gmail. This is not trivial but it is as far as you will get with CS.

What are math graduates, mainly PhDs, doing at google?
They work in searching algorithms used by all of google's products aswell as encryption and other technologies that heavily rely on pure mathematics fields like number theory.

Which do you think will get you towards the research side of google's empire?

>What schools

Just a non-shitty one and make for yourself a nice portfolio.
>>
>http://pgbovine.net/PhD-memoir.htm
Reaf this pdf, "the phd grind", tells you alot about computer science phds, which you will need if you want to work at google.

Go to uc berkley/Cal tech/ stanford/ mit and study comp sci. Get internship(s) over summer. Get masters/phd. Get google job
Read
>>
>>7915584
>I had this popsci meme idea of making a fake organs that produce machines which fix the problems put forth by aubrey de grey.

Your post is literally some of the most superficial discussion on the topic of immortality; this is why immortality research is meme-tier on /sci/.

> Hey guiz. What if we could end death, by doing stuff? Like nanomachines, I saw that in the transformers movie :3 cool huh? Pretty crazy idea :D
>>
>>7916775
But why keep everything secret when they're in a field with FAR less competition than anything else? Literally nobody is working on life extension.
>>
>>7916825
Because why publish failed attempts? It's been only two years since they started. Do you not know how science works?
>>
>>7916828
you are wrong
>>
>>7915557

>Build a time machine
>back in time 10 years
>become not you and a savant
>Double Ph.D. in computer science/biochemical engineering
>Apply
>>
>>7916828
I don't mean publishing results, but at least giving some interview about the general approach they're following. Do they want to try to find some calorie restriction mimetic drug? Do they want to try the damage repairing style of SENS? You don't lose anything if you disclose this basic stuff..
>>
>>7916865

Probably should be at a major engineering school and not some Keiser bullshit too.
>>
>>7916869
Why don't you approach and ask them then?
>>
>>7916652
>>7916825
>>7916869
It's because they don't need investors, and therefore they don't care about generating hype. They have almost unlimited funds.
>>
>>7916865
>build a time machine
>back in time 10 years
>become not you and a savant
>Double Ph.D. in computer science/biochemical engineering
>repeat
>quadruple Ph.D.
>etc
>>
>>7917045
If you go through the grad school process, you will never want to go through it again.

I say go back in time to just fuck bitches and get as far as you can from academia.
>>
>>7915557
You can't, grab a gun and reroll.
>>
>>7915557
>>>/adv/
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.