[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are we using too much water?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: Surface_water_des02.jpg (207KB, 702x470px) Image search: [Google]
Surface_water_des02.jpg
207KB, 702x470px
Are we fucked? Like I mean we're already over our sustainable level. So what will happen the day sewage treatment plants can't keep up with the growing demand, or if there's a big drought? Do we have any kind of contingency plan against this?
>>
>>7913155
Water consumption is basically just an equivalent of energy consumption.
>>
>>7913155
In the developing world like China, India, Middle East? Yes. Contingency plans? Stop having so many people, which should slow the agriculture demand, and in turn allow for more water to be replenished underground.

In Russia and SubSaharan Africa? There's abundance of freshwater reserves (underground).
>>
>>7913155
Yes, we are fucked if there is a disaster.
We humans have not self-organised well.
>>7913160
I wish, we can't convert sunlight to fresh water.
salination is not very feasible in the large scale and it is not very effective for providing water to the interior of continents.
>>
>>7913161
Americans are like the biggest wasters of water per person.
>>
>boo hoo they are wasting water

What do you mean "wasting" water? You can't really waste it unless you are splitting the molecules apart and rendering it so that it is no longer water or are bottling it up and burying it forever. Otherwise, it just goes back into the big ass water cycle of the planet.

The big problem isn't wasting water, it is polluting water. As in polluting ground water so that only the most extreme methods of filtering, chemical binding, and distilling is able to render it potable.

>>7913186
Desalination plants are actually a really good thing to have. It is a pity more of them are not using simpler methods of desalinization that uses less energy. Like passive solar desalination that uses natural processes to clean and move the water along.
>>
>>7913247
Aquifers, wells, and reservoirs naturally refill, yes. But if you're using water at a higher rate than replenishment, it will eventually dry up. Cutting back on wasteful activities can ensure that doesn't happen.
>>
>>7913247
>What do you mean "wasting" water?
Using it like a human's supposed to. Many people consider using as much water as you need to be wasting, just ignore them. They're usually shills.
>>
For every water you don't use I'm going to use even more checkmate fags
>>
>>7913319
>Use so much water that we dry up rivers and deplete aquifers
>claim to be just using it like a human "is supposed to"
>totally absolve oneself of the need to reduce consumption of a finite resource

your post is stupid
>>
>>7913155
water is a constant. what we are fucking is the low hanging fruit
>>
>>7913186
There is a lot of water to be had, it's just how much energy is required to obtain it. Bore pumps, dams, and natural reservoirs are just the easiest to draw from.
>>
>>7913155
>So what will happen the day sewage treatment plants can't keep up

More and more sewage treatment plants are starting to convert Human, and animal waste into sustainable biofuels such as RNG which works the same as NaturalGas and is often mixed into the NG grid.
If your city isn't doing this already, you should talk to your local politicians about lowering taxes and getting the value out of your poops that you give the city. Or you can process it yourself at home with the right equipment. A family of four produce enough energy pellets to heat an average house all winter long. Start bottling that for rainy days when your solar panels don't get enough sunlight.

Wait wut. Processing my poops at home saves millions of gallons of water that it traditionally takes to transport that sewage to the processing plant. Saving 1.6 Gallons of fresh water per flush.
Toilets don't need fresh water to begin with. You should be using grey-water to flush toilets. Unless you drink out of your toilet. Grey-water is slightly used water, like the stuff that goes down the drain when you shower and wash your hands and clothes. Not-so-much the kitchen sink drain that gets food-waste (potential biogas) Grey-water is mostly clean.

Water after the shower, or after the laundry, can be collected and used to flush toilets and water your yard, if it isn't mixed with foodwaste, poops, and pee.
Honestly the antiquated sewage system is obsolete. RNG Filling stations around town, could literally process sewage into fuel for cars trucks, and contribute their excess into the NG pipelines for heating, cooking, etc. Saving billions of gallons of wastewater.
>>
>>7913367
For every even more you use I'm going to synthesize water from various resources
checkm8e
>>
the planet is almost covered in water. some coastal cities get their water from the ocean. desalination or reverse osmosis systems remove salt from the ocean water, but this can also be done through solar evaporation / distillation systems.

If these coastal cities build big enough treatment plants, they can sell the excess water to inland cities.

There is no shortage of water, just poor management.
>>
>>7913448
This. And I can hear people typing now that in underdeveloped countries they don't have the money to build desalination or sewage processing plants, but guess what:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-10-23/iraq-water-desalination-works-in-basra-go-to-veolia-hitachi

Management is the primary problem, either of resources or of government funds.
>>
>>7913448
>the planet is almost covered in saltwater
FTFY
News Flash:
we need freshwater, not saltwater, retard.
>>
File: 12554870867.png (61KB, 221x220px) Image search: [Google]
12554870867.png
61KB, 221x220px
>>7913420
Current toilets would plug up a lot faster if they used grey water. I mean the clean water section, with the float and valve. The water pipes leading up to the toilet would plug as well, because grey water contains sediments. Dead skin. Food particles. Road dust that washed out of your hair. Asscrack bacteria. Your grey water pipes would look like the pipes that lead away from your sink drain. And then after going through a network of filthy pipes, it would sit in your toilet waiting to be pooped in, already stinking like shit and mold. Guess what happens when you drop a log in it? It splashes up onto your asshole, along with whatever filth managed to peel off the inside of the pipes on its way there.

No thanks hippy, you can splash your turds in dish water all you want but don't use my tax dollars for it.
>>
>>7914051
Lol you talk like a real American.
Merika!
>>
>>7914051
I don't know what the fuck you've been doing, but all the graywater I've seen has been fairly clean.
>>
The only thing wasting water is whatever amount escapes into space every year.

>>7913981
All that salt water was fresh water and will be fresh water once again, many times over.
>>
>>7914051
>how do shower drains and garbage disposals in sinks work

Not only that but you can just use a composting toilet.
>>
>>7914051
>2016
>doesnt have a dedicated shitting street

tip top kek
>>
>>7913155
The world has bigger problems.

By the time the current end of the world hypothesis is done we'll have renewable energy.

Then when the next HOLY SHIT WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE moment happens we'll build better desalination plants.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.