[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it true that Americans don't have Calculus in High School?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 4

File: 1248654324356.png (490KB, 449x401px) Image search: [Google]
1248654324356.png
490KB, 449x401px
Is it true that Americans don't have Calculus in High School?
>>
Worse is that there's no proofs

They miss the essence of math in favor of mindless computation
>>
Only shitty inner city school don't. All others have Calculus, and some go all the way to Multivariable.
>>
>>7912147
American here.

Had logic and induction proofs in precalc.
However did not have any proofs in Calc.
>>
>>7912147
No, I actually took multivariable senior year
>>
>>7912147
what is calculus exactly?
>>
>>7912147
If you go to public schools, the highest math you'll get is prealgebra. Private schools, baby's first differential equations is the highest you'd get if not IB Math HL
>>
They do have them, but they are NOT a requirement to take them to graduate. Even in my shitty thirdhole (Mexico) everyone (at least in my state) needs to complete differential and integral calculus.
>>
>>7912202
I lived in wisconsin for 2 years and did half highschool there
>>
>>7912194
Noice bait
>>
Why don't americans have some standard HS curriculum?
>>
>>7912202
You end up taking differential and integral calculus here by the time you're a senior. If you fucked up and had to retake Algebra I in highschool, good luck when unis see Algebra II in your junior year transcript. If you fuck up even worse, guaranteed community college because "Survey of Math" is literally retaking algebra I and geometry in 1 year. And you'll fail to meet minimum math requirements for unis here like that. As long as you took precalc or something higher junior year, you'll be safe, otherwise, you better ace the fucking ACT or SAT or forget it.
>>
>>7912147
No

I took calculus in high school
>>
>>7912226
>Why don't americans have some standard HS curriculum?

Because that is COMMUNISM
>>
>>7912151
the only people who need to know how to do proofs are people who intend to pursue a mathematics degree.

Giant waste of time for literally everybody else.
>>
>>7912147
Depends. Some schools require at least Alg 2 and another supplemental math course which is what my school did. This can be calc or college algebra or a finance class.
>>
>>7912259
Muh states rights.
>>
>>7912264
>you should only learn the bare minimum
Not like school is meant to provide a well rounded education with reasonable depth
>>
>>7912152
>Can afford F-35s
>Can't afford to make inner-city schools good
God's own Country.
>>
>>7912447
>doesn't understand that 70% of the kids in innercity schools don't care at all about school.

Go to WSHH, they'd rather knock the teachers out than actually learn.

My highschool had AP stat & AP calc
>>
>>7912193
okay, because noone replied I googled it
>Calculus is the mathematical study of change
>the branch of mathematics that deals with the finding and properties of derivatives and integrals of functions
so calculus is pretty much derivatives and integrals? people always have to make everything so complicated

but anyway, that means I had calculus in high school for two years. we barely learned anything though
>>
>>7912147
High School isn't for giving you an education, its a teenage daycare facility that gives mommy and daddy some place to put you so they can work.

The only benefit that HS gives is social interaction.

If anyone here was actually smart they would have dropped out at 15, gone and enrolled in the local community college, and be done with your BS by the time you were 20.
>>
>>7912494
So? If New York could be fixed with just a new mayor then inner city schools can be too. In Glorious Britain all schools get a shake-up if they've been shit for too long. I live in inner London and all the schools locally were predictably shit so I went to school further out. Now 10 years later ironically that school I went to is shit and the local inner ones which my mum snubbed are better. It seems in Murica that once a school or area is shit it stays shit forevermore.
>>
>>7912147
Yeah, we have calculus, but most people never make it to that level. It's pretty sad, I myself never made it past algebra I.
>>
>>7912525
how could you study derivatives and integrals for 2 years and not know you were doing calculus?
>>
>>7912553
because I never did any homework or paid attention or anything and in uni while use integrals and especially derivatives in almost every course I just never noticed that word being used there
>>
>>7912553
The terms isn't really used in some European countries. They just call it differentiation and integration and in uni they start analysis.
>>
>>7912147
they do but it's not a requirement
>>
File: 1448306708394.jpg (104KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1448306708394.jpg
104KB, 640x640px
>>7912582
sounds like this is the correct answer

thanks
>>
>>7912202

What's the pass rate there?
>>
>>7912147
It varies between states. In my state we had it, but it was never a requirement. Most people went out of high school with just 2 years of algebra, and one of geometry/minor trig.
>>
>>7912228
I took algebra 2 my junior year and got placed into calculus my senior year because my grade was over 100%. I got a 100% in calculus. None of the precalc kids got it (I was surprised because I expected them to do better than me).

Only a 33 on the ACT though which is a really shitty score desu be honest.
>>
In my high school there were three streams of "normie" math: precalculus, applied math, and consumer math.

I never took precalculus, but I'd assume it was algebra and trig and everything leading up to calc 1.
Applied math was more combinatorics, permutations, fractals .
Consumer was basically personal finance, taxes, loans, compound interest, and car stuff.

For gifted students, there was an accelerated program where students took advanced English, and advanced math (calculus).

You could only be in one stream, so if you took precalculus, you couldn't take applied maths or consumer. If you wanted to take compsci classes, you had to either take applied math, or precalculus.
>>
Santiago high school in corona CA
This is the 9th-12th grade sequence
Retard route: algebra1,geometry that's it. Maybe not even geometry, and retakes of algebra.

Normie route: geometry, algebra 2, precal, calc

Smart student route: geometry honors, precal, calc 1, calc 2

There are variations but that's it. We had Calc 1 and 2 and AP stats.

These days I've heard freshman coming in at algebra 2.

We also have trig as a class, but it's for people too stupid for precalculus.
>>
>>7912912
The highest record for my high school was a freshman taking AP Calc...when I was a freshman I remember hearing of a freshman taking Honors Math Analysis. Usually they wind up in honors geometry and the dumb ones end up in prealgebra or algebra 1.
>>
>>7912147
Why are Americans so horrified by babby's first analysis? In Europe this is freshman stuff.
>>
>>7912147
There were two people at my high school who took AP Calculus in sophomore year, I don't know how they even finished the prerequisites that early. They made me feel like a retard.

But typically you take Algebra II in junior year and you're done with math.
>>
>>7914155
I am a junior and am taking AP Calc BC (equivalent of Calc 2) this year
We have like a dozen kids at this level, mostly Indians and Asians
To get to that level, you have to take Algebra 1 in 6th, Geometry in 7th, Algebra 2 in 8th, then Algebra 3 and Pre-Calc as a Fresman, and AP Calc AB as a sophomore
If I wanted to I could go down to a uni and take Calc 3 with the government paying for it next year
>>
>>7914204
I don't think we can take Algebra 1 here until 8th grade, but we can take some math courses for summer school after that. One of those people was from China though, so I imagine her school curriculum was a lot different than ours for a few years.
>>
>>7912528
*tips fedora*
>>
>>7914214
There were originally like 8 of us that took Algebra 1 in 8th grade but some kids took it over the 6th-7th Summer and caught up
>>
>>7912147
I had calc 1 at my high school. I was at a disadvantage in the first year of college, but caught up to most private school kids fairly quickly.
>>
It depends how slow you are, if you take the average course they give you each year without taking any advanced courses then the most you will do is precalculas in high school.
>>
File: 1379126999001.png (89KB, 883x990px) Image search: [Google]
1379126999001.png
89KB, 883x990px
>>7912528
This is pretty much the truth.

I remember realizing my freshman year in college just how much of nothing we did in high school. 7 hours a day, mostly consisting of study hall and playing shitty flash games.

I took an AP Calc class my senior year, and that was the only thing remotely resembling an actual class. Even then, the teacher was awful. She hated the kids who picked up calculus easily, and got angry if you tried to jump ahead.

>tfw I could've taken calculus as a sophomore, done PSEO, and finished my B.S. by the time I was 20
>tfw I was a lazy shit, chose to skip math for a year, and took an extra study hall instead
>>
>>7914106
Because our teachers try their hardest to scare everybody into thinking 90% of them are going to fail.
>>
>>7912264
No, the point oh high school education is to teach people how to THINK. Proofs are a great tool to practice critical and logical thinking, something that most Americans don't have. *cough* Trump is winning *cough*
>>
>>7912147
We do. But only the elite chosen ones are able to go to what we call Advanced Placement Caca-Lust.
>>
I'm american and took it as accelerated math,
>>
>>7914294
>She hated the kids who picked up calculus easily, and got angry if you tried to jump ahead.
This seems like it holds true for the vast majority of teachers. They get angry at students who have drive and ambition, something they never had.
>>
>>7912147
That is not true, but Calculus classes are usually not required for graduation.

At my high school, there was pre-calc, but this was treated as what the "smart" kids took in place of trigonometry, and the only Calculus classes available were AP ("Advanced Placement", from the same people who created the ACT) Calculus AB and AP Calculus BC.

Great thing about the AP classes was that they lasted the entire school year, so the final trimester of each AP classes got counted as an "elective" credit, so if your school schedule was filled with almost nothing AP (like mine was senior year), it meant not having to take any bullshit classes for the sake of an elective credit.
>>
>>7912147
Is it true that in other countries, all online conversations must be about the United States under penalty of death?
You foreigners are so tsundere for Americans.

Anyway, you heard wrong. Also, in the US we get ALL our kids through high school, not just the rich ones. It's a necessary part of having a functional representative democracy.
>>
>>7916264
It's true,I'm a highschool physics teacher and I can vouch for that.

But im not that at all though,I encourage my students to do university questions for their SPM preparations.

Btw,if any of you reading are 15,16 and 17,please don't ask physics teachers questions about our personal lives,it sucks ass.
>>
>>7912147

I went to a rural high school in New York State. I was in all the advanced classes until the psychotic episodes got in the way of my grades. Anyway, we had AP Calculus, Chem, and History, but there was a strong anti-intellectual culture in the school, teachers and students alike, and the idea of learning "advanced" subjects like Calculus was seen as unnecessary or even worse, "pretentious". I specifically remember my math teacher discouraging me once when I asked him a question about abstract algebra that I was reading about outside of class. He told me, "You shouldn't be reading about that stuff, that's college stuff, not for high school students". Escaping the region through academic achievement was frowned upon unless they thought you were a prodigy and there was nothing to stop you from succeeding. I graduated a year early so I could get the fuck out of there and learn the "advanced" subjects on my own. Very toxic environment for learning.

>>7912264
>learning how to write logical, evidence based arguments is a giant waste of time

Do you really think that?
>>
>>7912147
You don't have to. I did, AB and BC both.
>>
>>7912147
No, but we have geometry which is pretty hard and advanced shit.
>>
American's don't learn calculus until they start to persue their PHD.

I mean, what would be the point anyway? Here I am persuing my graduate degree, and I'm just now taking my pre-calc 1. It's hard as shit and I don't understand any of this.
>>
>>7912147
Yes. All we do is eat burgers, invade countries, pay for college and healthcare, and be ignorant of other cultures.
>>
>>7914204
>I am a junior
Underage b&
>>
>>7916291
>same people who created ACT
Thought it was SAT?
>>
>>7912147
Yes, europoor. They're just not required to graduate.
>>
>>7914496
>No, the point oh high school education is to teach people how to THINK
if you actually believe this, you do not understand high school education
>>
>>7916346
>math proofs are evidence-based

Do you really think that?
>>
>>7912530
They didn't teach you guys how to hold onto your colonies very well though, did they?
BTFO
T
F
O
>>
>>7912147
No, this is not true. Even in public schools, Calc is available (even up to Calc 2) as an AP class.
>>
File: 1453606414026.jpg (183KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1453606414026.jpg
183KB, 1200x900px
In the US. mathematics education varies greatly between states because of the public school system and funding for good teachers.There is no universal high standard so most states only reach the bare minimum with advanced students taking those Calculus classes/advanced classes that should have been the standard.
>>
>>7912194
Shitty bait, lad. Also,
>implying IB Math is good in any country
IB is a great curriculum for English, History, and foreign languages, but it cannot compare to AP Maths and Science courses.
>>
>>7918426
There's also AP Calculus as well as baby shit Diff EQs, I don't see what you're trying to convey.
>>
They have Calc and AP Calc but neither are required; you're placement depends on testing.
Same is true for Trig.
Only Algebra is a requirement Nationwide, although I'm not sure about individual State requirements.

[In all honesty I can barely do Math and only passed by a narrow margin.]
>>
>>7918441
*your
[sorry!]
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.