[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, uh How game breaking would it be if some student found a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 1352157365257.png (11KB, 412x410px) Image search: [Google]
1352157365257.png
11KB, 412x410px
So, uh

How game breaking would it be if some student found a way to calculate infinitely large prime numbers?
>>
not possible
first take this example
all even integers can be represented as 2k, meaning that 2 is the only even prime
if you multiply infinity by two, you get infinity, meaning that infinity is not prime
of course you can also argue that infinity is odd
infinitely large primes is a nonsense concept anyway
>>
Do you mean arbitrarily large?

It would be pretty big but the problem is out of reach of pretty much every non PhD student.
>>
quantum computers (if they ever get made) can do that with their parallel processing
>>
Literally nothing would happen because imaginary maths are just thought exercises with no real uses.
>>
>>7912083
>but the problem is out of reach of pretty much every non PhD student.
in america
>>
>>7912087
poor quality bait
>>
>>7912090
In every other country as well. If you are not already specialized in a topic, you likely will not solve any famous problem that already has thousands of professionals already working on it.
>>
>>7912052
Note well that there already exiats an algorithm to find prime numbers. The problem is that we do not have a way to find them, but more so that we do not have an extremely efficient way to find them.
>>
>>7912095
if people are stuck on a problem, it's possible that a newcomer with fresh ideas will solve it.

example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pktWhH6m_DM

take it or leave it, I don't want to debate.
>>
>>7912199
This is true, but a "newcomer" is often still an expert in the subject area.
>>
>>7912199
As mentioned by someone already, your supposed newcomers are not average joe undergrads who have an interest in biostatistics.
>>
>>7912052
i'd literally give said student all of my money

the applications are endless!
>>
File: 1377275142668.jpg (9KB, 171x211px) Image search: [Google]
1377275142668.jpg
9KB, 171x211px
>>7912052
just how delusional are you?
>>
Infinite, prime ordinal numbers are a thing.
>>
>>7912052
If your maths needs "infinity" then it's not real math.
>>
>>7914089
>he's trolling the board by bumping 2 dozen threads with asinine replies
>he makes obvious shitpost threads about nihilism
>he makes meta threads complaining about shitposting he initiated

>he's the janitor of ~2 years ago
>he's janny again

see you in a year, /sci/ cause it's going downhill from here
>>
Then congrats! You may have found a way to better represent Transcendental Numbers!

Unless we're talking about someone finding An algorithm to represent the sequence of prime numbers and a function that inputs the index number and outputs the prime in the sequence.

I believe in that case, you would be put on the watch list of every intelligence organization because you have a new security algorithm that also breaks previous ones!
>>
>>7912052
Congrats !
No more HTTPS and e-secure transactions.
>>
>>7912087
>t. american
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.