[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I suck at math - calculus

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

File: obfqhPm.gif (2MB, 276x225px) Image search: [Google]
obfqhPm.gif
2MB, 276x225px
Hey sci, so i found out today that i suck at math in general. I'm planning to restart learning from the beginning. Thinking about doing all the khan exercises and watch youtube videos. So here's the question. I've read all the sci wiki which explains good math book for calculus and beyond. But honestly it's too overwhelming. So many books to choose from and i cant seem to pin point on the right one. Which book do you recommend for calculus?
>>
>>7908955
>Intro
"The Manga Guide to Calculus" by Hiroyuki Kojima and Shin Togami
"Calculus Made Easy" by Silvanus Thompson and Martin Gardner

>Weak Students
"Calculus: An Intuitive and Physical Approach" (Dover) by Morris Kline
"Calculus With Analytic Geometry" by George Simmons
"Elementary Calculus: An Infinitesimal Approach" by Jerome Keisler (Uses infinitesimals)
"A First Course in Calculus" by Serge Lang
>>
>>7908955
Brainlet. Get out of my higher education REEEEEEEEEEE
>>
If your struggling with the mechanics of it, watch Patrickjmt videos on YouTube on the stuff you need help with

Also do all of your homework. Change the numbers around. Change your trig functions from sin to cos or something. Test yourself. Get the pattern of finding a derivative.

Understanding the mechanics of it will get you far enough to pass the class. That's all. If you want to ace it, you're going to have to read your textbook and the books that the other guy above recommended.
>>
Repetition, OP.

Take your time.

Patience.
>>
File: gokSm.jpg (320KB, 783x788px) Image search: [Google]
gokSm.jpg
320KB, 783x788px
I figured I write this in this thread, cause it's somehow related

Ok, so it will be my first time taking theoretical physics next semester. I'm at university for quite some time now and I've succeeded in the first four analysis courses. Also I took experimental physics (with success, although with massive problems, because never attended class). What can I expect from a real physics class? Any advices?
>>
>>7909100
>theoretical physics next semester.
>first four analysis courses.
>Also I took experimental physics

Post your syllabi. I have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
She is saying oh my god out of her mouth in the image that op has selected
>>
>>7909106
>syllabi

Electrodynamics:
- maxwell equations
- electrodynamic potentials
- radiation theory
- electrostatics, magnetostatics
- electomagnetic waves

Statistical Thermodynamics
- basics of statistical physics
- ensemble theory
- entropy and information theory

Thermodynamics:
- fundamental theorems
- thermodynamic potentials
>>
>>7908998
>REEEEEEEEEEE
Never got what this meant, what is it and where does it come from?
>>
>>7909318
A movie, invasion of the body snatchers.

Clones made from people while they slept dominated a small town, and screamed when they find humans by knowing they had feelings by talking to them.

/r9k/ took from there.
>>
>>7909100
four classes in analysis? what, introductory real analysis, analysis on manifolds, measure theory, complex analysis?

or do you mean calculus
>>
>>7908955
[eqn]
\begin{align}
\int ax^n \; dx &= \frac{ax^{n+1}}{n+1} + C \\
\int \frac{1}{x} \; dx &= \ln{|x|} + C \\
\frac{d}{dx} ax^n &= (n)ax^{n-1} \\
\frac{d}{dx} \frac{a}{b} &= \frac{b(a)' - a(b)'}{b^2} \\
\frac{dy}{dx} &= \frac{dy}{du} \frac{du}{dx}
\end{align}
[/eqn]
Now go away, you can now survive Calc I and Calc II.
>>
>>7908955
Calculus is one new concept. you don't suck at calculus, you suck at algebra and trig.
>>
>>7909865
/thread
>>
>>7908955
Are you me? I suck at calculus but this is partially because my teacher sucks too and I also suck at trigonometry.
What do?
>>
>>7909881
Practice trigonometry. It sounds useless but becomes super useful in calculus whenever you want to do trig. sub. It also helps you understand [and prove] why stuff like [math]\frac{d}{dx} \sec{x} = \sec{x} \cdot \tan{x}[/math]
>>
>>7909901
And what about non-trig calculus? We have finished differential calculus in class and I am the only one that does not know shit.
>>
>>7909918
In that case, the best thing would be improving on algebra. Sounds dumb, but really if your algebra skills are flawed in the slightest, there will be that one step you may fuck up on and then you check if your answer is correct by differentating it and wonder why you wound up with a derivative that's nowhere near equivalent to the integrand. Besides algebra, keeping track on where you are also helps, obviously. Too bad the best example I can think of for this is doing trig. sub on a fraction with a square root on the denominator, lose track where you are and everything just becomes a giant cesspool of numbers and functions.
>>
>>7909933
this. the big jump in calculus is that the teacher is flying through or straight up skipping loads of algebraic steps because you are expected to know all that shit already and it should be obvious.
>>
>>7909901
What are some good books on trigonometry?
>>
>>7909830
Thanks for the explanation anon!
Worth watching?
>>
>>7911025
I don't know, they call it a classic nowadays.

Give it a try. They say the book is better.
>>
>>7911039
Oh excuse me, watch the one from 1978.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-05-22-53-54.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-05-22-53-54.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
Hey can anyone help a bro out? While solving this integral I factored out the 8 and ended up with the wrong answer. U sub gives the right answer. Can anyone explain please? Ty
>>
>>7911044
You just plug in du=8dx into the top left one. Also always write your dx for your integrals.
>>
>>7911051
You just didn't*
>>
>>7911053
Thanks for the input, and yeah I'm pretty forgetful when it comes to writing the dx. But is that the only way to do it? I mean, isn't there a way to get the answer by factoring out the 8?
>>
>>7911061
It doesn't matter that the 8 is factored out or not, when you plug in du = dx/8 it cancels it out anyway. You just skipped straight to dx = du without taking into account what the derivative of u was equal to.
>>
>>7911066
dx = du/8 ****** don't drink and derive
>>
>>7910999
Now, I'm not saying it's a good one, but I used Stewart's "Algebra and Trigonometry" in my Trigonometry course and it was awesome. The colored and labeled diagrams really helped my understanding of the material.
>>
>>7911066
>>7911069
Thanks so much
>>
File: 1450626755534.jpg (793KB, 960x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1450626755534.jpg
793KB, 960x1500px
>>7911092
Thank anon.
>>
>>7911113
I'm saving this Chino pic
>>
>>7910999
I honestly do not know any good books for trigonometry. When I took trigonometry, I depended on those horribly written pure-HTML sites that gave you the most painful reading experience ever. In the end it was pretty worth it because seeing explanations from a perspective different than the teacher's was helpful. However, I can offer good books if you want to try prcalculus and/or calculus I and II.
>>
>>7911219
>However, I can offer good books if you want to try prcalculus and/or calculus I and II.
Please, do
>>
>>7911293
Precalculus with Limits 2nd Edition (Ron Larson)
Calculus: 9th Edition (Varberg, Purcell, Rigdon)
Single Variable Calculus: Concepts and Contexts 4th edition (James Stewart)
Mathematics for Engineers II: Calculus and Linear Algebra (Gerd Baumann)

The precalc book is self-explanatory, I've tried it. It's 12 chapters long and the first 10 chapters I are just review over algebra and trigonometry. It started with basic algebra I stuff like distance formula, polynomials, factoring, etc., Did review over trigonometry, and then suddenly go back into algebra with inequalities and shit. Then for some reason also introduces very basic matrices. And in the last chapter it finally gets into limits.

Calculus: 9th edition is more learning towards HS-calculus, so you should not expect anything hard from it, but you should also not expect anything new assuming you already know Calc I and/or II.

Single Variable Calculus 4th edition is also yet another AP calc book, it's okay but I definitely do not recommend self-learning Calc I with it. It'd most likely be best to use as a supplementary book.

Mathematics for Engineers II is primarily just Calc II and III stuff along with introductionary linear algebra. If you're not that familiar with partial derivatives, do not try going through this entire book, the examples are pretty poor.
>>
>>7911329
Forgot to mention this...All the books I posted were purposefully selected based on the assumption that you're just going to practice and get refreshment algebra II and basic calculus. If you do not know anything about algebra II or calculus, these books do not teach it very well unless you're able to actually focus and have a slight background on the topic, but the problems they give do serve as good practice.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.