[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chemistry Question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: oxide.png (4KB, 320x155px) Image search: [Google]
oxide.png
4KB, 320x155px
Small question real quick how come NO isnt an ion but rather a normal molecule? N needs 3 electrons to get to 8 but he can get only 2 from O. I would assume this would be an NO- ion but according to Wikipedia its not. Explain please
>>
>>7892286
>please be bait
Formal charges are 0
>>
>>7892286
>how come NO isnt an ion
Chem 101 fags please pay attention to the lectures for at least 1 minute.
>>
>>7892286
whats the problem op
>>
>>7892286
It's not really a "normal molecule", it is highly reactive due to the free radical. However, this is a valid lewis structure because of the 0 formal charge and because octet rule is followed on Oxygen at the least. It could become an NO- polyatomic Ion if reacted with, say, Hydrogen.
>>
>>7892286
Not an ion bc no ionic bond, ie. No metal involved. That doesn't mean it's a stable molecule, however.
>>
>>7892430
are u a retard? NH4+ ISNT AN ION??
>>
You clearly don't know the definition of an ion. Go read it on wikipedia.
>>
>>7892463
>An ion (/ˈaJən, -ɒn/)[1] is an atom or a molecule in which the total number of electrons is not equal to the total number of protons, giving the atom or molecule a net positive or negative electrical charge

It applies exactly to what I stated. according to the drawing the N got only 7 electrons. He needs another one to complete the cycle. So explain how am I wrong?
>>
>>7892286
It's a free radical, not an ion
Count the electrons, N came in with 5, leaves with 4, O came in with 6, leaves with 6. Remember that lone pairs are two electrons and bonds count as a single electron for each bonding member
>>
>>7892490
OK, this is a simple misunderstanding between Ions and Radicals
Ions is about how many electrons vs how many protons. N has 5 protons, and under normal circumstances has 5 electrons to balance that out. In the molecule drawn, it has a single lone pair (2 e), 2 bonds (for 1 e a piece) and an unpaired electron (1 e). 2+1+1+1=5 which balances out its 5 protons. Same for oxygen, count the lone pairs and bonds
The "cycle" as you said is the octet rule, and the most basic way I can say it is that atoms not called hydrogen or helium usually are most stable with 8 electrons in their outermost shell. N does not have the 8 electrons (in octet counting, as opposed to formal charges, each bond counts as 2 electrons, so you are correct that N has 7 electrons and would want 8). However, failing to form an octet does not make it an ion, it just makes it unstable.
I hope that helps.
>>
>>7892521
so how come it DOES make other molecules Ions (NH4+ for example)
>>
>>7892521
>N has 5 protons
Just a quick correction, it has actually 7 protons.
5 is the # of valence shell electrons.

>>7892532
If you draw out [math]{\rm{NH}_4}^{+}[/math] you'll see that the N atom only has 4 electrons (and the H atoms have one each). So it is missing one electron and thus has one positive charge.
>>
>>7892458
Hydrogen is a metal. Learn your cheimistry m8
>>
>>7892286
Is this a joke?

NO is more stable with a triple bond move that free radical to the middle.
>>
>>7892622
What about [math]\rm F^-[/math] though?
>>
>>7892490
>So explain how am I wrong?
It's hard to explain that, since you somehow seem unable to grasp what these concepts are
A proton has a positive charge. An electron has a negative charge.
If there are more electrons than protons in a molecule it will have a net negative charge and vice versa.
NH4+ has 11 protons but only 10 electrons.
This shouldn't be hard to understand.
>>
>>7891300
The ionic forms are about as unstable as the radical form.
>>
>>7892643
Obviously an ion because it's negative lol
>>
>>7892557
Fuck sorry, I meant valence electrons yeah
>>
File: 1446181007789.jpg (89KB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
1446181007789.jpg
89KB, 500x600px
Jesus Christ I hope this is a joke thread
>>
The nitrogen has 5 electrons, the oxygen 6 in NO, so there's no reason why it should be an ion. But because the octet rule is violated for the nitrogen it is a radical, so very reactive.
>>
>>7894442
I mean valence electrons
>>
>>7894442
I believe at room temperature it's present as it bonded to itself as N2O2, so not necessarily reactive until at a higher temp
>>
>>7892622
>Hydrogen is a metal. Learn your cheimistry m8

You didn't really just post this?
You need to change your major to gender studies.
>>
File: 1448133391435.gif (1MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1448133391435.gif
1MB, 500x281px
>>7895142
>yfw he's right
>>
>>7892430
Explain the list of half a dozen polyatomic ions that are made up entirely of group V, VI and VII nonmetals

Please feel free to tell me where the ionic bond is in any of the following:
[math]SO{_4}^{2-}[/math]
[math]OCl^-[/math]
[math]NO{_3}^{-}[/math]

>>7892286
The overall charge of the molecule is dependent on the charge of each atom that makes it up. Note that the net charge of the atom is NOT the same thing as the octet rule, or even a filled orbital.
>>
>>7892286
Give it an electron, boom, it's an ion. I think NO+ might be more stable than NO- though

>all the retards in this thread
Like literally not even gen chem tier
>>
>>7892286
>he

Check your privilege you shit lord

That element could be gender neutral or gender fluid
>>
>>7895121
[math]\rm N_2 \rm O_2[/math] might not be reactive, but [math]\rm{NO}[/math] sure is. That's why it even bonds to other [math]\rm{NO}[/math] molecules to make [math]\rm N_2 \rm O_2[/math].
>>
File: image.png (427KB, 600x606px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
427KB, 600x606px
Christ, these threads

How exactly does /sci/ explain the fact that this board has plenty of kids who are actually somewhat competent in mathematics and physics (excluding the ones who just come here to shitpost) that struggle to comprehend the most fucking elementary of chemical models or concepts?

It's not just limited to this Taiwanese Paper Mache Auditorium either, I tutor freshmen (and the occasional failing sophomore) at my university all the damn time who are getting high marks on their calculus and physics courses, but you try to get them to assign an oxidation number and they completely freeze up. They'll tell me they can derive the equations for integrated rate laws all fucking day, but can't even apply it enough to take experimental data and correlate it to an order of reaction.

Is it autism? Is it arrogance because students expect everything to be given to them as a pre-baked mathematical equation? Is it the academic system's fault for misleading kids into thinking their good grades always translate to a rigorous understanding of the concepts? I'm fucking dying to know because while it's satisfying talking down to some stuck-up trust fund bastard who thinks they're hot shit because they tested out of calculus coming in, it's irritating having to spend the next 40 minutes actually trying to teach them something.

Tl;Dr college kids are fucking scum
>>
What is orbitals for 500
>>
>>7892286

The electron isn't added from anywhere. It's always been on N. In this case, it's a molecule with an unpaired electron (free radical).
>>
>>7892286
Half a dative bond, maybe?
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.