[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I explain to people that theoretical computer science

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: image.gif (55KB, 1754x1240px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
55KB, 1754x1240px
I have a pure math degree. Decided to study mathematics that applies to CS. I don't give a shit about making video games, programming or any of the traditional CS shit.

The people I know think pure math and theoretical CS is useless and the only useful thing in CS is around making shit like web apps or programming. They think if you don't program then you aren't doing real CS. It pisses me off and I can't think of a good way to justify pure math or mathematics applied to CS. im really a mathematician pretending to be a computer scientist. What kind of arguments can I make to convince others theory is important?
>>
>>7891867
Step 1) Stop being an insecure shit trying to convince an arbitrarily small number of people about your views (even if you're more intelligent than them)
Step 2) Thank me (your welcome)

I can't help but think that a need to prove the validity/applications of what you do to people who aren't from your field or understand your field (along with the field in which applications or validity is present), is just a bad, bad, life skill for any pure mathematician.

If you discover something solid, someone or the other is going to get it to use.

If you're just trying to make people appreciate what you know, it points to weak character.

Do you really desire for others to see what you see so badly? You spineless dependent slug?
>>
>>7891882
Thanks for the excellent reply. I mostly targeted it towards someone I know (close to me) that values programming knowledge over mathematically 'useless' knowledge (or useless in the sense it isn't meaningful unless applied).

You're completely right. This speaks more towards my own insecurity and need for validation and dependency. I don't need to justify studying to anyone. Plus, I don't really know if I should say I study "computer science". Most the programmers I know don't even know basic math & I don't program shit. Hank's for the reply anon. Saved it for future reading.
>>
>>7891867
can we stop these threads where computer "scientists" try to convince us that the maths they do is in any way significant or rigorous.
>>
Just give an example and explain it?

I admit I have no idea what you do with those things but usually when I'm not sure what the purpose of something is I ask for a concrete example. If the person can't give one they are usually full of shit.
>>
Master CS student here. I am with you on CS should be mostly theoretical. I hate those code monkeys that post AngularJS/Java on my facebook page. You can't reason with retards. Just ignore the ignorance mass.
>>
>>7891867
How is it possible to not be able to fit anymore circular holes when they can be any size you want?
>>
>>7891867
Protip: if you need to prove that what you do is important then it probably isn't.
>>
>>7891867
Sounds like you have to convince yourself first. Don't take what others say too hard. They have no understanding from your abilities. Best way to convince that kind of persons is to focus on doing, get better and let the results speak for themselves.
>>
>>7891867
That pic makes no sense, there's plenty of room for more holes in both the square and the yellow circle.
>>
>>7891967
Yes but I think it meant not enough such that the yellow circle area is greater thsn the cumulative area of the smaller circles
>>
>>7891897
Well you don't need to be such a sarcastic dweeb, jeez.
>>
>>7891972
But that's trivial, you can just punch one single hole in it that's exactly 1/2 the area of the big circle, and thus any additional circle would violate the property.
>>
>>7891867
similar thing happens with linguistics. I think most people aren't aware that a theoretical side even exists for some of these things, because it isn't obvious what the point would be.
>>
>>7891867
Calm down. We all know this. We just like to shit on those CS undergrads who signed up for the major because "I just want to make video games".
>>
>>7891867
You could try lying
>>
>>7891867
> I don't give a shit about making video games, programming or any of the traditional CS shit.

but making video games isn't traditional CS, TCS is...
>>
File: ECQ5Xau.png (400KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ECQ5Xau.png
400KB, 1920x1080px
>>7891867

If you make a program it will hold longer survive more than one OS change.

let them be stupid because sooner or later all the hurrdurr muh code brahs will have no template to abuse no more and when they're forced to write unique codelines they are fucked.

just make sure you shine when this moment comes
>>
Is a math degree with a CS concentration good if I want a software-related job, or is it a worst-of-both-worlds thing? I'm interested in both and the concentration seems like it would teach what I'm interested in compsci-wise.
>>
>>7891867
>Decided to study mathematics that applies to CS

So you took the watered down shit and avoided the real pure math courses?
>>
>>7892679
>real pure math courses?

These courses don't matter in the real world except among maybe 2 actual jobs that require a PhD anyway.
>>
>>7892730
You're an idiot.
>>
>>7891867
Without category theory and type theory we wouldn't have all the hip functional languages like ML/F# and Haskell.
Without Church we wouldn't lambda functions.
There.
>>
>>7891867
Tell them that the whole field of computer science owe's it's existence to efforts to solve Hilbert's Entscheidungsproblem.

Also, computer science, math, and all these majors are just bullshit labels for people in university administration. They don't mean anything past undergrad.
>>
>>7891882
My welcome?
>>
>>7892679
What is watered down shit? You mean category theory?
>>
>>7891921
This, I don't understand the rules.
>>
>>7892679
Says the faggot that thinks calc 3 is the highest level of math
>>
>>7893262
combinatorics, graph theory, and number theory sans any analysis or algebra.
>>
>>7892806
>You're an idiot.

Aww, is someone made that their upper level courses have no use outside of a few research facilities and in academia?
>>
>>7893274
Analysis masterrace reporting in.
>>
>>7893288
He was calling you an idiot because you seem to suggest that studying something is only "useful" if it has a direct application.

This is an immature and childish point of view held unironically only by edgy teenagers, and they grow out of this stage by the time they are old enough to post on this site.

That passive-aggressive bitchy-woman-on-her-period tone isn't doing you any good either.
>>
File: forgot_algebra.png (22KB, 222x395px) Image search: [Google]
forgot_algebra.png
22KB, 222x395px
>>7893288
>too stupid to learn it
>quick, call it useless

Yeah, just like how 4th grade algebra is completely useless. When am I ever going to have to solve for x, never that's when.
>>
>>7893278
I took real analysis and algebra. Forget the part where I said I already have a pure math degree?
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.