[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the chances that aliens use gravitational waves for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

File: aliens-ET.jpg (87KB, 1000x733px) Image search: [Google]
aliens-ET.jpg
87KB, 1000x733px
What are the chances that aliens use gravitational waves for long distance communication?
>>
What are the chances that gravity even exists as we imagine it today?

I mean where the fuck are my gravitons man? We've been looking for them for more than half a century and all we got is this lame higgs boson. Alien tech would probably mindful the shit our of us because their physics is so much closer to the realities of nature, thus allowing them to exploit it, assuming there isn't some horrifying thing about civilizations always killing themselves off before creating self sustaining space colonies or some such.
>>
I think it is plausible, well Matthew McGonaughey's done it.
>>
>science discovery announced
>not even 3 hours later popsci spastics are shitposting about it on /sci/
what a world
>>
>>7851749
>science discovery announced
>you're still just a salty undergrad
what a world indeed
>>
File: kawaii-aliens.png (818KB, 944x944px) Image search: [Google]
kawaii-aliens.png
818KB, 944x944px
THOSE ALIENS ARE SO KAWAII SENPAI
>>
gravity waves travel at light speed and require ENORMOUS energy to create. Something like all the matter of 3 suns converted into pure energy to create a tiny 0.4 second blip. There's is literally no benefit over using regular microwaves.
>>
>>7851529
Well first of all we'd need to find evidence that aliens exist.
>>
>>7851832
I AM THE VERY MODEL OF SCIENTIST SALARIAAAAAAAN
>>
>>7851529
We (humans) have been doing this for decades. Blowing up atom bombs to create wormholes so aliens and humans can travel long distances.
>>
>>7851861
>gravity waves travel at light speed and require ENORMOUS energy to create.

Any moving object creates gravity waves.

>Something like all the matter of 3 suns converted into pure energy to create a tiny 0.4 second blip.

A signal sent in all directions and still detectable with primitive as fuck equipment from 2 billion light years away? I think that's a bit more energy than we need, don't you?

>There's is literally no benefit over using regular microwaves.

Microwaves can be blocked.
>>
>>7852237
truly the most pleb of plebs and salty as fuck too, go home
>>
>>7851529

I’m trying to find out what kind of effect the gravity wave had on Earth.

I.e.
- Did we suddenly become a fraction heavier for a moment?

- did it make the day (14th of september) a bit longer?

- could this possibly be related to the GPS satellite that malfunctioned?
>>
File: p0057.jpg (107KB, 654x698px) Image search: [Google]
p0057.jpg
107KB, 654x698px
>>7852237

>A signal sent in all directions and still detectable with primitive as fuck equipment from 2 billion light years away? I think that's a bit more energy than we need, don't you?

Ask yourself this: did it take the wave to get here 2 billion years as well? If yes, would then it not be a fucking retarded way to communicate? I don`t think anyone would want to go around releasing and wasting unimaginable amount of energy just to do morse at the speed of light. If aliens communicate I don`t think the way they do it is they clap black holes together like retards.
>>
>>7852290
maybe their perception of time is different. Maybe 1000 years is like a heartbeat to them
>>
File: Quadrupol_Wave.gif (184KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
Quadrupol_Wave.gif
184KB, 420x420px
>>7852286
Earth was stretched out a bit, like in the animation. That's why LIGO is shaped like a big L, to detect the changes in length in perpendicular directions.
>>
>>7852290
>Ask yourself this: did it take the wave to get here 2 billion years as well? If yes, would then it not be a fucking retarded way to communicate?

I guess it would be if something was faster, but nothing is. I'm not sure what your point is.
>>
>>7852302
What if they live VERY close to the event horizon of a black hole. Time would be slowed down but the gravity waves wouldn't. Wait a minute.
>>
File: 1452164923296.jpg (151KB, 797x957px) Image search: [Google]
1452164923296.jpg
151KB, 797x957px
>>7852323

Come on m8 just imagine how this would work. You are this super advanced alien civilization. You have this tech that creates ripples of gravity and you use it for communication. Now as far as I know but I might be terribly wrong here the signals scientist were able to detect was like two massive black holes colliding. So you can imagine, if you want your signals to be measured at that distance, even with super advanced tech you would have to release these mass amounts of energies that can be detected. Now you can argue that instruments get better at measuring as they advance and you might be able to reduce the energy required to create a detectable signal but how much better can it get? So you might have this 2000% advanced tech, but you would still need to release the energy of what? Like colliding two stars? Then you could do some sort of morse that if you create a ripple and it gets detected its 1 and if there is silence thats a 0 and you can keep releasing these energies but it wouldnt work like a lightswitch on / off. Then whatever you`re using to create the signals have to survive the process as well it has to turn on and release this vast amount of energy again and keep sending the signals. Now an advanced civilization that could do that could probably easily just travel there at light speed (which is the same speed as these ripples would travel) so what would be the fucking point? They could just go there and have a discussion and bring a message back or something.
>>
File: ebiwiggle.gif (299KB, 500x313px) Image search: [Google]
ebiwiggle.gif
299KB, 500x313px
>>7851529
The real question is, can we fuck 'em?
>>
>>7851529
Naw dude, they modulate pulsars for communication.
>>
>>7852516
>if you want your signals to be measured at that distance

The point was that that is many orders of magnitude farther than anyone would be sending signals to their colonies or whatever. Like 10^8 times farther. Which means you need 10^16 times as much energy. And our detectors are just a couple of kilometers long. An advanced detector could be synced up spacecraft, i.e. the size of a solar system, i.e. another 10^9 times as sensitive just by sheer size, disregarding all other tech. So already we've reduced the energy requirements by a factor of 10^25, without even doing anything particularly clever. Now I have to assume there are other ways to increase sensitivity besides brute force, and presumably more efficient ways to send signals than just smashing big stuff together. I don't know. I just think it's very premature to say it's a useless idea.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.