[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does slowness to grasp something equal stupidity?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 3

File: boxmanwatchesyoueat.jpg (699KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
boxmanwatchesyoueat.jpg
699KB, 3264x2448px
Does slowness to grasp something equal stupidity?
>>
>>7848647
No, but shitposting about it does.
>>
>>7848647
>le smart but lazy
>>
>>7848647
yes
>>
Since intelligence is literally the ability to grasp new concepts quickly, yes.
>>
Tough call. I'd say it depends on context (in some situations I'd say intelligence is simply useful mental capacity). But ability to learn is core to intelligence. That's why we don't call AI that doesn't evolve intelligent.
>>
>>7849218
>>7849185
Not true at all. at school I was always laughed at for being the last to understand a maths concept yet in every exam I wiped the floor with the rest of the class.
>>
>>7848647
I don't think so. Some people find it hard to catch a ball but can still be intelligent. Stephen Hawking can't grasp anything.
>>
No.

When I learn something, I try to learn it from the ground up, building it up logically in my head so I understand how each point logically progresses to the next. While most people I think only want to "know" the surface value of something or memorize a formula, I'm always going for the deeper meaning. Therefore it might take me a while to "get" something or learn something, but after that point I feel like I understand it better than most people.

For example, when I got my first job as a cashier, the training was basically just telling you exactly what buttons to press in what order and that was that. I took it upon myself to learn every function of the machine, forming hypotheses on how it might be programmed and guessing and testing different things to see if my hypothesis was correct.

Because of this the first week I was incredibly slow and people thought I was retarded because I didn't "get it". It took me a bit but after the first week I understood it inside and out and when the dumbasses who just pressed the buttons they were told to press couldn't get it to work, or it would "glitch out", I was the only one who could "fix it" because I understood the order of operations the machine would calculate things and thus why it would freeze doing certain transaction orders, or come up with the wrong intended total, etc.
>>
>>7849278
>hurr durr studying hard makes me intelligent
>>
http://www.iupui.edu/~flip/wechsler.html

> three types of intelligence: verbal, performance, and full-scale

> high verbal, low performance corresponds to ADD/HD

> high performance, low verbal corresponds to autism

pick your poison
>>
>>7849218
Not true I'd say, some people focus on process and others focus on result. Just because your focus is not in the direction the other person is wanting doesn't mean you're not grasping the information conceptually. Things are quite complex and attempting to understand them completely and in depth means you're straying from the result, but it doesn't mean stupidity.
>>
>>7849299
Autism
>>
>>7848647
no, it just makes you slow-witted.

slow-witted and unintelligent are two different things, a slow-witted individual can make neuronal connections boyo
>>
>>7849317
kek
>>
To an extent
>>
>>7848647
Been the slowest all my life, and currently a math major keeping decent grades. I just grasp things better under specific conditions that aren't fulfilled most of the time, and so do many "stupid" people.
>>
>>7849320
Yeah, it does.
>>
File: obama_laugh.jpg (6KB, 270x187px) Image search: [Google]
obama_laugh.jpg
6KB, 270x187px
>>7849408
Found the stupid person who can't grasp the concept of a joke.
>>
>>7848647
yeah for example if you're slow to understand how to catch and throw a football properly despite being told what to do, it means you are less intelligent. sure you can study your science and math all you want, but that just means you're a harder worker, not more intelligent.
>>
>>7849463
Sensory information is not all of the information that can be worked with. Generally performing highly on tests yet being insanely clumsy usually means there's a disconnect between body and mind. this doesn't say much about intelligence as a whole in someone. we all have our strengths and weaknesses.
>>
>>7849457
Jokes rely mainly on tone which comes across poorly through text.
>>
>>7849468
cant judge a fish by its ability to climb trees
>>
>>7849469
not that kind of joke, that was a word play joke, which means that you're supposed to hold your tone the same like you're talking normally, but the joke is on the words themselves.
>>
>>7849476
Yes. Intelligence is capacity. Some people will have high capacity that encompasses everything, making them good in everything but great in none, others will have the same amount of capacity just in one or two things, making them brilliant.
>>
>>7849476

Einstein was in special ed classes until he was 10 years old when he finally learned how to read. The rest is history.
>>
>>7849494
making them brilliant in one thing but retarded in other things*
which is perfectly fine of course, to each their own. can't get geniuses without specialization
>>
>>7849484
Even slight changes in tone denote a ton of information. If one's though processes are headed in ways of humor, that will show itself even slightly. But it needs to be heard.
>>
>>7849317
yea but some people do this faster, they are smarter.
>>
I think Hilbert was known for spending a lot ( more than normal ) of time on things in order to truly grasp the contents.
>>
>>7849325
What about emotional intelligence? Autists are emotionally dysfunctional as fuck.
>>
I'm unsure there is a clear definition for intelligence. Different people have differently wired brains, and different species do as well.
For example: although my dog is being well trained as we speak with active involvement from all caretakers, it never wants to listen to the word "come" when outside. It also likes to get out sometimes, and we live by a main road. This same dog is extremely curious, and has figured out how to open some simple gates, and trick some people into giving it whatever it wants. I love the dog, but the contradictory actions baffle me.
>>
>>7849317

Exactly. In my opinion, it distills down to those who just want to go through the motions and those who want to understand the purpose of those motions. Regardless of occupation, you can find both mentalities.

From my experiences in the life sciences, the 'quick learners' tend to absorb the factual content of material but generally are at a loss when something goes awry, as they tend to do. In the long run, I'll take the slow learners.
>>
File: image.png (53KB, 914x1091px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
53KB, 914x1091px
>>7849317
This sounds like some kind of autism
>>
>>7849446
No, it doesn't, retard.
>>
>>7849500
You sound like an autist that read that shit on a book
>>
>>7849584
>emotional intelligence?
meme-intelligenceā„¢, hire more HR to increase productivity.

Don't get keked by sociologists.
>>
>>7849317
The first paragraph sounds intelligent. The rest sounds autistic
>>
>>7848647
>Does slowness to grasp something equal stupidity?

Reaction time is correlated with intelligence.
>>
>>7850142
Yes, it does, retard. You're arguing with a maths grad. You're out of your league, brainlet.
>>
>>7850215
dw hes the "intelligent underachiever" type
>>
>>7850215
>>7850142
Take a step back to realize how and what you're arguing about and realize you're both acting pretty retarded.
>>
Fuck off, retard. The people that butt into arguments are even dumber than mongs that think one can ever get smarter. Drink bleach.
>>
>>7850243
Meant for
>>7850236
>>
I'll answer this question with an example:
You say to a class of low level math students, the log of 1 is zero.

One third of the class don't have a clue what the teacher is talking about, review last weeks lesson on powers, then blindly memorize log(1) = 0. They consider themselves to have been slow at grasping the concept.

Another third of the class write down and blindly memorize log(1) = 0 and believe they grasped the concept very quickly

The last third of the class are sat around wondering why log(1) = 0, ask themselves what that actually means then ask themselves why 10 to the power of 0 is apparently equal to one. A few of them deduce that when starting with 10 multiplying by 10 raises the power by one, so conversely dividing by 10 should lower the power by 1, so 10^1 divided by 10 must be 10^0 and this must be equal to 10/10 = 1.

These last students consider themselves to have grasped the concept slowly.

So if you're in the first group I'd say you might be a bit slow or uninterested in what you're being taught. But if you're in the last group you'e probably intelligent. When I was at school and taught Pythagoras I was not happy and didn't consider myself to have learnt anything until I had written a proof for Pythagoras and yeah, that took a lot longer than the idiots who just sat around clapping their hands chanting a^2 + b^2 = c^2
>>
>>7849497
ugh not this shitty meme again

also Einstein was a plagiarist
>>
>>7850273
this is a good explanation but i hate that you consider log to be the base 10 log rather than the natural log
>>
>>7848647
Uhh... Uhhhhhhmmmmmm.... Uhhhhhh.......

No!
>>
>>7850290
You have autism
>>
>>7850150
I do have autism but I never read that
>>
>>7850215
>You're arguing with a maths gra

Just further evidence that being a maths grad doesn't disqualify you from retardation
>>
>>7850569
Don't ever fucking respond to me with a low IQ post, ever again.

Contribute to the thread, or fuck off.
>>
>>7850863

Don't be a fucking retard and you'll get a sensible response.
>>
>>7850215
I'm a maths grad too and you're wrong and retarded.
>>
>>7848647
If you "grasp" something which does not help in any sense to learn what you are supposed to learn but gives you negative emotional feedback which stresses you and causes you to under-perform with the task at hand...

In that case "slowness to grasp" is a feature. I would not be surprised if some of the greatest performers in tech related fields have severely underdeveloped ability to make such emotional associations.
>>
>>7850863

Or what? What you going to do about it you little sperg?
>>
>>7851060
He is probably going to sit around feeling so important that someone actually waste their time on trying to anger his spergy little ass.
>>
>>7851120
Weuw that's a peculiar personality you are describing. Are you projecting or something?
>>
>>7851052
Yeah but they also have higher chance of fucking up socially if they don't learn to be careful with their communication and adapt it to people who are sensitive to that stuff.
>>
>>7851172
But if they are too careful people may interpret it as they don't care and that can be even worse than screwing up the communication sometimes.
>>
>>7848647
>Does slowness to grasp something equal stupidity?
Yes.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.