[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Too Dumb for Math

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

File: 132829073637.jpg (12KB, 259x231px) Image search: [Google]
132829073637.jpg
12KB, 259x231px
I cannot graduate community college, never mind university, without passing/and or showing proficiency in intermediate algebra.

I took pre-algebra, failed it in 7th grade, took algebra 1 in 8th -- failed it too, and took algebra 1 again in high school and got passed on a C after having a math tutor do all my homework in class, and letting me cheat on the exam (this is a charter school, only way that could've happened).

I start taking community college classes. Had an accident one year into CC; mild brain injury, migraines, tremors, anxiety. Took me 4 years, taking classes on and off, or half time due to health -- I'm at 70 transferable units (need 120 for Bachelor's degree). I tried elementary algebra, lasted 6 weeks into the class and was at 50% and wasn't getting any of the harder material, so I withdrew.

They won't let me have AA or transfer until I show mastery of intermediate algebra. My brain just can't into algebra. I told all the right people my story, and it was just a bunch of "so sorry hear about that, but our hands are tied, the rules are the rules.

How can a person like me learn math? What should I do?
>>
That sucks anon. I'm afraid I can't really help you but I hope you will make it somehow.
>>
Pls, can someone give me a solution. I'm hoping someone with a high IQ here can help me resolve this obstacle.
>>
>>7847768
The only advice I can give is practice. Have you checked Khan Academy?

Algebra is pretty mechanical, so yeah, practice like hell. And check Khan Academy.
>>
stop making excuses bitch if you haven't done enough work to know a bit of algebra you don't deserve it

seriously.... just do some problems
>>
practice, ding dong
>>
>>7847771
I'm pretty demoralized at this point. I had a terrible experience going to the tutoring center at the college. I found what I thought would be a good and patient math tutor. His table was empty and so he dedicated me like 2 hours to very basic math homework questions. Some girl shows up and sits down. Almost immediately, the guy focuses his attention to the girl asking question. I try to chime in every 5-10 mins, and he ignores me or says "I'll answer you after I finish helping her." The girl leaves after 30-40 mins. The tutor then has a very frank conversation with me. He says he thinks I may have a math learning disability because I kept asking him very basic questions and he had to repeat him self and I still wasn't getting it. Basically, he told me in very polite terms, that I'm retarded and to not bother him again.

I didn't sign up for math again this semester because I'm still harrowed from that experience.
>>
>>7847755
>algebra 1

What's algebra 1? What does it cover? I'm not an amerifat.
>>
ITT: Asking 4chan for advice.

SPOILER: OP is def potato
>>
>>7847787
;_;
>>
>>7847789
Welp, it's a good time for pizza ain't it.
>>
>>7847777
Start with the easiest maths on the site, then work up every single day. Your morale will come back, dont rush it or you'll never learn.

>source: was babbied all my life to be artist by parents but now i'm catching up so i can get a real job
>>
File: 1454896025934.png (478KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1454896025934.png
478KB, 600x600px
>>7847777
haha you little shit. just give up on maths. go do arts or some other shit, women studies
>failing algebra 1
>>
>>7847777
Guys like that are lazy cucks. Don't take advice from fags like that. Grab a math book and learn, learn and learn till you are %100 sure that you know the subject. Rinse and repeat.
>>
WTF does Algebra 1 cover? Fucking americans with their gay names.
>>
>>7847819
Algebra 1 is otherwise known as elementary algebra. Algebra 2 is intermediate algebra.
>>
>>7847827

So it covers linear equations and simultaneous linear equations?
>>
>>7847827
>>Algebra 1 is otherwise known as elementary algebra. Algebra 2 is intermediate algebra.

Yo that still doesn't help much. Are we talking the quadratic equation? Factoring? Limits?
Hell my Algebra class was when a teacher finally taught us long division.
>>
>>7847839

Will one of you faggots confirm
>>
>>7847869
i dunno.

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/algebra
https://www.khanacademy.org/math/algebra2

Compare for yourself.

Algebra 1&2 are usually taught from the same book in the US. They're partitioned pretty much around the middle. All I know is that the stuff in II looks like Chinese runes compared to some of the early concepts in I.
>>
>>7847755
Nobody is naturally dumb at math. Some people might have problems with basic arithmetics, but that's not what math is about. It seems your knowledge of math is terribly unsystematic, you probably should just start all over and figure out what UNDERSTANDING means in math. School has probably taught you that understanding something means that you can use algorithms that you have learned to solve a given problem. That's not true. Understanding means that you know why things act the way they act and that you can recreate the algorithm if you ever forget about it.

Take for example the quadratic formula. You probably remember. Do you understand where did it come from? Could you recreate it with pen and paper?
>>
>>7847755
All you need to remember is that when you devide a number (say 2) by a number that's smaller, the answer is bigger that 2. If you divide by an number bigger than 2, the answer will get smaller. That's all you need to understand in algebra. If you see that relationship, everything else will fully make sense.
But that's not all. Learn to count using your hands. Seriously. You can make calculating much easier when using your hands. This goes for calculating sin/cos in the unit circle too.
>>
>>7847755
I feel for you anon, but I have no real idea how to help you. Your situation sounds like it takes a completely different approach than any I'm used to.

How important is a degree to you, and would you be able to tolerate living without one if it came to that?

Did you pass algebra 2 in high school through similar shadiness (since something like 3 years of math is a graduation requirement iirc) or is this a HS completion as well as AA? If you have an official transcript saying you passed it at some point that might satisfy them.
>>
I feel for bad for feeling satisfaction that people like OP are shit at math.

Oh well :)
>>
>>7847755
Math is hard work, and being able to recognize your patterns of error and your misrecognition of conceptual chunks.

Seriously, learn by key example and explain it to yourself in words. If you can't do it yourself look long enough to find it explained by others.

When you understand it conceptually and cannot apply it you need to see by examining in steps the part of the process you are confusing in your math mind by comparing it to your understanding within your language mind.
>>
>>7847755

I don't know your exact situation so this won't be perfect. Here is my take on what you should do based on some students I knew in a similar situation.

You need to work with a tutor that specializes in "special education". In particular I mean you need to work with someone that has experience working with brain injury victims. These folks can be expensive.

You also need to make a fuss about getting accommodations. Figure out what the school is legally required to provide to people in your situation. In particular fight to get the use of memory aids on your exams.

A lot of anon's are giving you advice that would be appropriate for 99% of struggling students. If what you say is true then you are in the 1%. Recognize that typical solutions won't work for you because your difficulties are the result of an atypical cause.
>>
>>7847755
>I told all the right people my story, and it was just a bunch of "so sorry hear about that, but our hands are tied, the rules are the rules."
Those were not the right people.
>>
OP here. I just checked and my thread is still up. Incredible! I would like to thank everyone that posted a reply especially folks like >>7850346

Means a lot to me ;_;

I'm still processing all this. I don't know what to do yet. I really want a college education though. I'd like to eventually teach humanities: English and History.
>>
>>7850366
Use Khan Academy, videos are very thorough and easy to follow, exercises are addicting.
If you follow it sequentially you'll quickly catch up to whatever level you need to be at.
There are testimonials of people with severe learning disabilities doing very well.
It's free, you don't need tutor.
>>
Algebra is a fucking pain in the ass.
>>
learn basic 2d game programming. Its algebra in disguise.
>>
The solution is to practice till your hand falls off. But if you have a brain injury sounds like that needs to get sorted above all else.
>>
>>7847755
Does your memory sucks? are you too forgetful?
what does intermediate algebra means to you anyways? do you have to use matrixes, complex numbers, analytic geometry?

For basic algebra all you need to know is sum and product, really. Matrixes is really mechanical, stuff that, with practice, you can do without thinking. The same with complex numbers (ONLY algebra, because complex analysis requires you to think).
The one thing i'd be worried about if i were you would be analytic geometry, because you need a little bit of imagination.
>>
>>7847777
I was a TA during undergrad which involved mandatory tutoring. If you are the only one there yeah, I can attend to you full time. But if I have been helping you for a while and someone else comes in or more people show up, I need to partition my attention so everyone gets questions answered. It's only fair.
>>
Here, OP:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B0_wMCZ1QEUCNW9OQVVCYjNrazg&usp=sharing

Download the Bittinger text, either the third or 4th edition. Just read the whole thing cover to cover, doing all the problems. All odd numbered problems have answers in the appendix; the "Review" and "Test" problem sets at the end of each chapter have *all* the answers in the appendix.

My guess is that your problems with maths stem from poor teaching. Math -- especially Algebra -- is very intuitive. If you start from the absolute basics, everything will just seem to fit together and make sense as you go through it.
>>
Mathematics is practice over talent
Of course talent makes the thing easier but as long as you are not retarded you can reach pretty far in any science field
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.