[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does the average good STEM student have the ability to work on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Feels-Bad-Man-Frog-01.jpg (27KB, 500x365px) Image search: [Google]
Feels-Bad-Man-Frog-01.jpg
27KB, 500x365px
Does the average good STEM student have the ability to work on one piece of work for 8 hours in a row? Or is it fine that I lose focus on stuff after usually no more than 2 hours?
>>
>>7846853
there shouldn't be any classes where you're working on a subject/assignment for more than 8 hours unless it's a term paper.

You should work on something for an hour tops and take a 10 minute or so break before going back to it. this should give you enough time to re-focus
>>
>>7846856
that's pleb tier, an hour is not enough time to get properly into a subject and is not optimal use of time imo.

I prefer 3-4 hour sessions with small breaks where I leave the desk and just think about what I'm learning.

>>7846853
I doubt the average STEM student can but I know lots that are capable of that. Although I do go to the most autistic uni in the country so I'm not sure how it compares to other places.
>>
>>7846871
assuming you take 4 classes and a lab, that gives you about 10 hours a day to do stuff, a little more if you sleep.

there's no way you study in 3-4 hour sessions for all of your subjects every day

since you're clearly procrastinating, why don't you relax, and do an hour a day per subject per week. this doesn't count time for homework or projects, this is just studying. i guarantee you'll get more out of your studies than just cramming every other day
>>
>>7846871
>that's pleb tier, an hour is not enough time to get properly into a subject and is not optimal use of time imo

No it isn't moron. Taking a break is key to learning.
>>
>>7846853
"Not being able to do like an average STEM student" is not the same as "being fine".
Anyway, you should force yourself to focus for long hours if you want success. It's like a muscle, if you are not forcing its limits, it won't grow.
>>
>>7846853
Paperwork? Yes

Getting to spend time building and testing to shit? Never been so invested in something in my life. Literally had to switch to 24h clock to tell night/day at my prime
>>
File: detroitdope.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
detroitdope.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
With my amphetamine(adderall), easily.
>>
OP here. I'm actually a guy with tonnes of free time. What I was getting at was: should I train myself to be an autistic machine who works on one thing for 8 hours in a row, or should I work on 3 or 4 things for 1.5 - 4 hours each?

The second seems more viable but the first has some sort of allure to it.
>>
>>7846853

I'm going to go off on a branch here, your problem isn't concentration and that's where so many people get confused.

You're able to perceive problems and grasp concepts well, but still struggle to get work done, correct?

Your concentration is fine, your issue is Input vs Output regulation.

Good example is the 'INTP' problem; Not being able to perceive when input becomes detrimental to output.

My advice for you if you're struggling to get something done, stop approaching it from the angle of 'understanding' the problem and focus on only 'solving' the problem.

Of course you need to understand something (to varying degrees) in order to solve it, but it's the angle of attack that matters.

The question you should always be asking yourself, is what I'm doing helping me solve problem-X?

I'd recommend making your own flow chart.

If your initial goal is understanding something rather than solving, you keep trying to 'understand' the problem when you're already learnt enough to 'solve' it, but because you don't feel you understand it enough, you forget about the end product and you go in circles.

Or I'm just full of shit, dunno :/
>>
>>7846976

I'd by thing you mean one subject, work on one subject. Just take breaks every half an hour. You can still reach an 8 hour study time.
>>
>>7846999
>Good example is the 'INTP' problem; Not being able to perceive when input becomes detrimental to output.
How have I never heard of this?
That's been exactly my problem my entire damn life.
>>
>>7847024

To tell you the truth I myself came up with that statement after I saw a pic/comic someone posted that was - INTJ vs INTP; Definitive vs Infinite.

I took that framework and extrapolated it into that statement, and as we all know there are two types of people, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data and
>>
if I'm in a place meant for work or study and not a place for relaxing or pleasure then yes.
>>
>>7846853
Its up to you to figure out how much you can handle.
>>
>>7846888
i practice an instrument for 2-3 hours in a row.
but not learn music therory.
>>
At my pharmacy school, all of us study a good amount everyday (5 hours minimum and upwards of 8+ the day before the test), but even the smartest ones in my class fuck around on their phone or something every 1hr-2hrs.

There have been studies where people can only focus 100% for like 30 minutes, but I think you can probably extend that to like 1-2hrs tops.
>>
>>7847457
>pharmacy school
>work
this is a science only board pal
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.