[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Myth Of Consciousness

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: inhibitory-cortexjpg.jpg (174KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
inhibitory-cortexjpg.jpg
174KB, 720x540px
Consciousness does not exist. It is a modern version of an outdated concept: the soul. There is no correlate of consciousness in the physical world. We hold on to the concept because we still believe that there is some, "us" that exists independently of our physical bodies. When I say that consciousness does not exist, I am not talking about awareness, or perception, or experience itself. I am talking about the idea that our brain, "produces" something. And that that something is different then our bodies themselves.

In reality, there is only the body. The mind is tangential to that. Transhumanists and others believe that we eventually will be able to remove our consciousness from our bodies. I think this is nonsense. The process is a property of the medium, it can not be divorced. If I recreate the exact state of my digestive system in another person, it does not make it my digestion. The "our-ness" of our brains is more then the exact synaptic states of all the neurons, it is the neurons themselves.

Neuroscientists and philosophers have searched a long time for consciousness, to no avail. The obvious answer is that it doesn't even exist. And why should it? Just because we imagine something doesn't mean it exists. In fact, I think the concept of soul/consciousness is so deeply ingrained in our understanding of the world it is difficult to see past.
>>
Placebo effect
>>
>>7846634
>Transhumanists and others believe that we eventually will be able to remove our consciousness from our bodies. I think this is nonsense. The process is a property of the medium, it can not be divorced. If I recreate the exact state of my digestive system in another person, it does not make it my digestion.

Well, suppose you replaced a cell in your body with a device that ran a digital simulation of the cell and had a biochemical interface to interact with the rest of the body. Next, you repeat that process one by one for all the cells in your body. Then, you wirelessly connect all these devices to a single computer across the room and move all the simulations there.

What do you think happens with respect to consciousness and experience?

As a transhumanist this is the kind of approach I might want to use to remove my consciousness from my body. It seems plausible that the person involved wouldn't notice any step of this. If you also simulated all the other noncellular stuff in the body and had a way of converting digital video and audio and such into simulated biochemistry, you could connect the computer simulation to a virtual or robot body and turn off all the devices in the physical body and they could happily live on in said artificial body.
>>
>>7846758
>transhumanist
The meme is real.
>>
>>7846761
Transhumanism is a meme older than the word 'meme'.
>>
>When I say that consciousness does not exist, I am not talking about awareness, or perception, or experience itself.
Well, that is what everyone else is talking about, so I suggest you go find some different terms for the crazy notion you want to discuss.
>>
>>7846634
>Consciousness does not exist.
>I think
0/10
>>
>blah blah no consciousness blah blah we are brains blah blah blah neurons blah

It's not that simple. Think about it some more.
>>
File: autism.png (51KB, 338x288px) Image search: [Google]
autism.png
51KB, 338x288px
Reddit...?
>>
File: 97px-Natural_whale_oil_bottle.jpg (7KB, 97x366px) Image search: [Google]
97px-Natural_whale_oil_bottle.jpg
7KB, 97x366px
petroleum do not exist. it is a modern version of an outdated concept: replacing whale oil. We hold on to the concept because we still believe that there is some, "us" that exists independently of whale oil. When I say that petroleum does not exist, I am not talking about awareness, or perception, or experience itself. am talking about the idea that digging in the ground, "produces" something. And that that something is different then our whales themselves.
>>
>>7846634
Consciousness is what we call our ability to be matter and know about the reality around us, unconsious matter is matter that has no perception at all, that is what life really is just matter that can perceive reality.
>>
transhumanism aka transgender autismkin
>>
>>7847002
nigga what? Transhumanism is just admitting humans are flawed, and wanting to fix it.
>>
OP you seem confused about terminology here.

Consciousness exists. You have a subject experience of the world. That is consciousness.
>>
>>7846634
That's a cool argument and all, but I'm experiencing shit right now so it's wrong.
>>
>>7846978
10/9
>>
>>7846634
It does exist. Whether it is the function of the whole or not is up to science.
>>
>>7846634
>And that that something is different then
stop reading
sage
>>
>Obvious answer
>Obvious
Damn I really hate this word...
>>
>>7846634
>It is a modern version of an outdated concept: the soul.
It isn't even that. Consciousness is the desire to believe that being awake means more than being asleep does. No serious study of "consciousness" will ever work until it seeks to study "dreaming awareness" as well.
>There is no correlate of consciousness in the physical world.
Waves in the ocean. Shill successfully debunked.
>>
>>7847704
> being awake means more than being asleep does
That's the literal fact of the matter. Brains are far less active in at least some phases of sleeping.
>>
>>7846634
What you say makes sense and is easy to agree with.

Please expand, and go into the details.
>>
>>7846634
>I am not talking about awareness, or perception, or experience itself.
That's what consciousness actually is though. It's operation of these types of brains. I don't think it's exclusive to humans or even living things though, nor can you transfer it merely replicate it.

t. transhumanist
>>
OP, I think what you're trying to say is that there is no mind-body duality, and consciousness is a solely a bodily function. That there is no aether where the soul/mind exists. The mind is just the result of biochemical interactions.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.