[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /sci/, what board games are you playing with your non-pleb friends?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

File: Hive.jpg (25KB, 399x319px) Image search: [Google]
Hive.jpg
25KB, 399x319px
So /sci/,
what board games are you playing with your non-pleb friends?
>>
>>7846255
>board games
it's 2016, not 3000 bc
we play online games
>>
>>7846258
This OP, we all play highly intelligent, and extremely strategic games like dota, lol or hearthstone, not your sissy, casual monopoly shit.
>>
>>7846255
league of legends

former sc2 gm and #1 bf3 pilot lol
>>
My board game group and I meet up Fri/Sat to play things like Dominion, Twilight Imperium, Japanese Mahjong, and Catan. Hive is fucking awesome, gf got me a carbon copy this week and its so good.
>>
I've been finding Ulrich Schadler's reconstruction of Latrones pretty fun (recommended win condition: first to reduce the enemy pieces below a certain number.) Mostly chess and chess variants though.
>>
>>7846321
>former sc2 gm

my
fucking
nigger.
>>
>>7846283
Dota is basically like chess, but harder
>>
I play a lot of citadels with friends because it's good when drinking. Dominion and settlers too.

My favorite games are chess and go though. Only a few people I know play them.
>>
>>7846255
Power grid, Ticket to ride, 7 wonders, betrayal at house on the hill.
>>
>>7846255
I play go online. I'm bad at it (22k) but damn it feels fucking good when I win.

Like seriously. I am still at the point when I cannot figure out how one wins or loses because you are just happily randomly tossing stones around and out of nowhere, around turn 8 - 10 (9x9 board) you already know who is going to lose, even though there are still 20 - 30 moves left to do.

How does that happen? What is going on? At least I have been able to realize that the first 5 turns are the most important in the game but still I don't get how to make the best first 5 moves.
>>
>>7846255
We tried out the new Middle-Earth Risk. The rules they added makes it very complicated. I can't tell yet wether I like it. ... It's just no nice German board game. These are the best.
>>
>>7846658
what
how so?
>>
>>7846693
He talking out of his ass.

This is the game:

>Game starts
>People go to lanes
>They hit each other from time to time while picking up gold from killing creeps
>Then one of them fucks up and gets killed
>Repeat for the next 10 - 15 minutes
>Then both teams join their entire forces and start moving around the map
>Both teams chase each other until one fucks up and allows a teamfight in which they are disadvantaged to happen
>The winning team pushes
>Repeat this for the next 10 - 40 minutes until either team destroys the other's base

That is all. Even at the highest level of play, winning is determined by someone who fucked up.

That is not the state of a game like Chess. You may say that a pro player fucked up at some point, but they never fuck up in such a way that allows them to immediately lose. Games are never that obviously decided.

On the other hand, in all mobas, not only DoTA, the winner is decided by who got caught the least.
>>
>>7846693
If you ever played the game, you would understand it has the highest learning curve of probably any game. Considering I've played both to a high level, I'd say Dota is much harder.
>>
>>7846701
Yes and how did this not make the game harder? It means you have to be more intelligent and mechanically skilled than 5 of your opponents in a game which has far more intricacies and mechanics than chess. It takes people 8+ years of playing the game just to reach competitive level.
>>
>>7846706
I played WC3 once.
That shit is way more difficult.
You gotta build tons of buildings while mining gold/wood, while making an army/other units, while creeping/lvling up hero and doing so much other shit at once its impossible....
>>
Games are for children. I read research papers.
>>
>>7846722
do you smoke a pipe also?
>>
>>7846701
>bronze detected
>>
>the highest learning curve of probably any game
Made me chuckle.
>>
Dungeons and dragons, dominion, settlers of catan, magic the gathering,
>>
>>7846728
I reached gold league on league on legends, just to prove to myself that I could get to the 'competitive' leagues. After I played a couple more games to get Gold IV and then quitted league of legends.

I also played 84 hours of DoTA that amounted to nothing because I was already tired of the moba. The fun goes away that fast.

The way that type of games are designed is too tight. There is no option but to do what you are supposed to do. You cannot tell your team to just forget laning and start all jungling and hunting down enemy teams because that will never work.

You ALWAYS have to lane. And you have to lane in 2 exact ways. Passively or agressively, with very little inbetween. Then at the point when 5 men can destroy turrets fast enough, you don't have a choice but to engage in team fights. There is no other way to win.

The games are fun at the beginning because the combat is really dynamic to you at least feel agency in your individual fights, but when you have pressed Q over a million times, you don't feel anything anymore. And when you play to win, which is the case of competitive players, your individual fights never really make a difference.
>>
>>7846740
>gold
>competitive
>>
>>7846740
frankly I don't know when the last time you played was, but strategy goes in:
-picks and bans, what comp you run, what comp they run, what counters what, how early you should win or how late you should drag the game, choosing correct runes and masteries
-the best is playing in premade teams where you know everyone's strengths and weaknesses, when you can design comps that work well
-you have micro and macro management. When to push what wave, how many creeps to leave in it, where to leave wards at what time, predict everyone's movements in the next 3 minutes
-anticipate according to your predictions and new data. This is figuratively like chess.
-get ahold of your emotions, don't get too greedy, know when you can commit and when you should leave, adapt and influence your teammates and the opponents
-make people tilt
-there are no "mechanics" in chess, except execution counts for something just like in mobas.
-many more things

if you seriously think these games are so linear, you simply might not have seen the other dimensions of it. Now that I say all this, you could go "yes of course", but it's far from obvious to many players. They're like "ok I have to get cs and kill the other guy as much as I can and we will win" and then they don't understand why they lose even though they go 15/4 with their thresh support.
>>
>>7846701
The only time black wins in chess is when white fucks up
>>
>>7846740
>gold
>competitive
>>
>>7846706
.... then it's not like chess

Chess is based because it's easy as fuck to understand, so there's an almost unlimited range of possible strategies
>>
>>7846740
>gold
>competitive
>league of legends
>competitive

cringe
>>
>>7846701
>>7846740
>i played dota for 84 hours so I know what the game is all about

your games sound like 2k shit, stay bad
>>
>all the buttmad e""""sports"""" fans in this thread

Delicious
>>
Runescape all day erry day
>>
>>7846718
I was progamer in wc3. And Dota much harder. Wc3 is simple. There is not much strateges against u.
>>
>>7846740
>>7847433

2k? The guy couldn't even get out of Gold in League. I'd be surprised if he'd even broken 1.5k.

But honestly good riddance.
>>
You must be literally retarded if you can't get at least diamond in soloq in league of legends
I stopped playing league about a year or two ago and have boosted people up to dia 1 for money
I'm not even good, but as long as you play fotm champions it's not hard to win
it's so easy to make people rage in league, they will then either ragequit or play badly because of their emotions
>>
>>7847395
Man, that advantage is really small. Even in GM games it's only a few percentage points different.
>>
>>7846740
>I reached gold league on league on legends, just to prove to myself that I could get to the 'competitive' leagues.
no
>>
>>7846658
this is cringy
>>
File: 1432693066056.jpg (22KB, 360x357px) Image search: [Google]
1432693066056.jpg
22KB, 360x357px
>all these people who play ASSFAGGOTS

I guess /v/ didn't want you, huh?
>>
tfw you realize there are too many lolfags on this thread. dota iz still master race
>>
Twilight Imperium 3. Everything else is child's play.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.