[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If I feed hornworms carrots all their lives will they turn orange?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

If I feed hornworms carrots all their lives will they turn orange?
What color will the moths be?

Sorry if this belongs on /an/ but they're all women who own cats, they don't know this stuff.
>>
why don't you try it and find out
>>
>>7846053
I don't have any hornworms, and if one gets loose it could cause an agricultural nightmare!!
>>
>>7846046
it took me exactly 2 mins of google search to look for this :Tomato hornworms are known to eat various plants from the family Solanaceae, commonly feeding on tomato, eggplant, pepper, tobacco, moonflowers and potato. Accordingly, they are often found on defoliated tomato plants, the caterpillar clinging to the underside of a branch near the trunk. They are difficult to spot due to their green coloration. Tomato hornworms fluoresce differently from tomato leaves. Using an ultraviolet light source of 375 nm and viewed behind a blue-blocking filter (yellow or amber filter), a tomato hornworm fluoresces in bright green while a tomato leaf appears deep red/amber.[citation needed] This sharp color contrast helps gardeners locate tomato hornworms at night. They can be reduced by planting marigold flowers around these plants.
>For your information, carrots and tomatoes are roughly the same because they both contain high amounts of carotenoïds.
>>
>>7846063
>>7846046
If you would be too much housewife with cat too get this. Their primary color is green because this gives camouflage, carrots may be orange but their foliage is green thus an adaptation of the caterpilllars to turn orange wouldn't be beneficial and thus unlikely.
>>
>>7846063
yes but "roughly the same" isn't good enough here.
They need to eat carrots and so far I haven't found anything on this matter.

They eat the leaves, but I want to know what force feeding them carrots would do to their skin, they're not chameleons, they can be turquoise even. If we add more carotene into the foliage of tomatos maybe it will turn the hornworms orange and make them easier to spot for predators as well, it would help reduce the use of pesticides don't you think?
>>
File: hungrhungrycaterpillar.jpg (47KB, 472x333px) Image search: [Google]
hungrhungrycaterpillar.jpg
47KB, 472x333px
>>7846075
Look here Faggot,let me "children's book" this for you. The Hungry Hungry Caterpillar eats plants, plants are green. Plants are green because they contain chloroplatst, wich are used for photosynthesis. If the Hungry Hungry Caterpillar were to turn orange from your carrots, that means the chloroplasts from the plants were responsible for his green color before. Wich would mean that in the first case he would no longer be the Hungry Hungry Caterpillar, but the Very Very autotrophic caterpillar.

Ps: autotrophy is the ability to make energy by yourself, in this case we're talking about foto autotrophy.
>>
>>7846097
ok nigger if you want to get down to brass tax then let me inform you that I know what makes a fucking caterpillar green, which is why I'm trying to figure out if the carotenein the carrots would turn that caterpillar orange due to the carotene inside the carrots themselves, im not talking carrot leaves here.
I know the hornworms turn green because they feed on green shit, now what I need to find out is if we feed them orange shit they'll turn orange.
Never mind the whole tomato leaves that was just a side note and not the main reason I made this thread.
>>
File: visible.jpg (21KB, 576x279px) Image search: [Google]
visible.jpg
21KB, 576x279px
>>7846097
>>7846075
Also plants naturally contain carotenoïds as it protects them from the blue aspect from visible light (this has shorter waves and is higher in energy,wich may damage parts of the plant). So if they were to turn orange they would already have done it by eating any or most plants. Also"forcing" them to eat carrots? Have you ever bred caterpillars? If you don't give them what they normally eat they won't just eat anything green,or orange in this case, they just say fuck you dude and roll over and die.
>>
File: haisunburk.jpg (3KB, 124x125px) Image search: [Google]
haisunburk.jpg
3KB, 124x125px
>>7846119
>>7846127
>>7846097
Look i wasn't going to be an ass about it but for your information, not everything turns the same color as what he eats most. If that were the case i would probably have the color of steak and you 'd probably have the color of nigger phallus. Also you're on a science board. If people don't know something here the find it out by experimenting. Who knows, you might be the dude who turned all the caterpillars oraznge and by it saved humanity from degenarcy.
>>
File: giphy.gif (573KB, 389x259px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
573KB, 389x259px
>>7846135
>and you 'd probably have the color of nigger phallus
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.