[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gravy Waves

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

File: gravity-waves.jpg (44KB, 895x504px) Image search: [Google]
gravity-waves.jpg
44KB, 895x504px
Gravy Waves General
So, what r u people thinking about LIGO WASH DC PRESS CONF?
Did they found waves or its just an error?

https://twitter.com/LKrauss1/status/695357752323903488?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
>>
>>7843901
new meme just like the emdrive

why do you guys fall for this shit
>>
>>7843901
> gravity waves general
Wait until its confirmed first you underaged retard
>>
>we're just raising awareness!

what a fucking nob.
>>
>>7843931
its can be not Gravy Waves, some fluctations of space
so im not like this meme, but if they found something - its good, u dont think so?
>>
He spread the rumour as soon as ligo shat out a bunch of numbers. Analysing it hadn't even begun.

I think Krauss is just the 'get hyped' /sci/guy
>>
>>7843901
>have been expecting grav waves for like 70 years or some shit
>won't change anything if they are found, will only add to our mountain of evidence of GR

it would be interesting to find out that the quanta of gravity is not a wave. that would be surprising and contradict some very well accepted theories.

grav waves might as well be 20th century news desu
>>
>>7843970
It will change things when they are detected as you can use gravitational waves to do astrophysics. Take LISA for example which would not only illuminate directly the growth of massive black holes though cosmic time but also cosmology though "standard sirens" as just two examples.
>>
I know a collaborator, they detected gravitational waves from a merger of 2 blackholes, roughly 30 solar mass each. Southern hemisphere. First detection was in september.
>>
Wait until the 11th. The final results will be published. Don't hype it. On that note, have the final results been published for the KIC anomaly?
>>
it's pretty much confirmed.
t. insider
>>
>>7843901
Prof told me he got an excited call from a buddy involved in this telling him he couldn't say much about it yet but that he should definately shouldn't miss the conference. So prof was pretty sure something good has been found.
>>
>>7844200
The SETI Institute's initial radio reconnaissance of KIC 8462852, however, found no evidence of technology-related radio signals from the star.

http://www.seti.org/seti-institute/press-release/looking-deliberate-radio-signals-kic-8462852
>>
>hi guys we have discovered gravitational waves and they have a frequency of 0.07Hz any questions?

And then what?
>>
>>7845323
And then, design and build a new generation of telescopes. Then detect objects outside current spectrum. Then 'see' through the zone of recombination and detect either grav anomalies or the source of the big bang. Measure the stonking great grav anomaly we cant see because of the milky way just for starters, but hey, no biggy, your dick must be getting itchy go fap.
>>
>>7845384
unless this leads to manipulation of gravity then this is more theoretical physics trash.
>>
>>7843931
EM Drive
>contradicts basic scienctific knowledge
>proposed by nutters
>no credible methods, sources, etc

GravWave
>CERN tier science experiment (LIGO)
>top scientist
>scientific rigor

yeah, they're pretty much te same.
>>
>>7845416
Why is the science board so consistently anti-knowledge?
>>
>>7845622
it's anti-useless knowledge
>>
>>7845632
No, this board is only interested in money rather than science. It's why every conversation about major politics ends up in "you can't get a job."
>>
>>7845637
> this board is only interested in money rather than science
Whats wrong with that ?
>>
File: 1407848089586.png (859KB, 642x756px) Image search: [Google]
1407848089586.png
859KB, 642x756px
>>7843949
It's not because Krauss is a public figure that he can't be hyped like any others faggot.
Public figures are human too.

And it's not like it's not worth getting hyped about.
>>
>>7845429
>trusting a group that calls themselves LEGO
>>
>>7845658
For one, this is /sci/ and not /biz/. There's nothing wrong at all with being more interested in money than science, but this isn't the place to discuss that.
>>
>>7845719
> theres a board called /biz/
> which means people can't discuss money in any other board
simply wrong
>>
>>7845724
The science board is for discussing science and mathematics. If you're not interested in science and mathematics, you shouldn't be here.
>>
>>7845637
we dicovered a wave

WOW

Meanwhile people are still dying of cancer, we can't leave our solar system and we are running out of oil. You can forgive me for becoming jaded by the constant slew of bullshit un-applicable abstractions coming from the physics community right now.
>>
Would a discovery by LIGO imply the existence of eternal inflation or would we need evidence of waves left by the Big Bang to confirm that?
>>
>>7844155
>they detected
They cannot know yet if it was an injected signal. The reveal is yet to come, necessarily.
>>
>>7846089
>You can forgive me for becoming jaded by the constant slew of bullshit un-applicable abstractions coming from the physics community right now.
No. I cannot. What are you even doing on /sci/ ??
>>
File: 1454714041262.png (313KB, 506x518px) Image search: [Google]
1454714041262.png
313KB, 506x518px
>>7846089
people are gonna die from cancer for the remainder of our species' existence, according to people who know a shit about molecular biology

space travel? immortality? sorry, not gonna happen lol

you're welcome to cure cancer and bring humanity to the interstellar age, though, since you seem so willing to put down any seekers of theoretical frameworks from which to we can new discoveries and possibly new technology
>>
>>7846292
LIGO is searching for gravitational waves from violent events like merging black holes and supernovae. It is not sensitive enough to detect primordial gravitational waves (it's also not in a good frequency range for that).
>>
>>7845661
Getting hyped is acceptable but you shouldn't broadcast rumors on twitter like that. It's totally out of line to try and announce someone else's result.
>>
File: 18r71tsq2kv02jpg[1].jpg (49KB, 628x433px) Image search: [Google]
18r71tsq2kv02jpg[1].jpg
49KB, 628x433px
>>7845686
Nothing beats Lego
>>
>>7843901
Gravitational waves and GR in general is pure SJW degeneracy.
We need to return to Newtonian physics to secure a white future.
>>
Bob lazar was right

Fight me faggots
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.