[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm starting my PhD on machine learning starting next spring.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1429807657023.jpg (49KB, 600x582px) Image search: [Google]
1429807657023.jpg
49KB, 600x582px
I'm starting my PhD on machine learning starting next spring.
I'm worrying right now because my math is pretty much shit thanks to my shitty undergrad CS courses. (No rigour maths, the hardest is probably Discrete math, my school didn't even offer Analysis, only Cal 1 2 3. Yes, the school is shit, don't ask its name).
I can read empirical ML papers fine, even if the consists some basic Calculus level equations. But when it comes to difficult models/learning processes which requires a lot of math maturity, I'm fucked.
So I have to learn Analysis, Differential geometry right now, all by myself with a few books, before Spring or my Prof would know I'm a hack.
I read Rudin but it's kinda messy and I don't even know how to prove simple stuffs. I don't even know if I should memorize every single axioms. I'm afraid that I won't make it in time.
Can I learn both Analysis and Differential Geometry in 2 months? Which books should I choose?
There are just too many problems with me and I just don't know anymore. I wish I learned Analysis in undergrad school.
>>
>>7838744
Linear Algebra (Dover Books on Mathematics) by Georgi E. Shilov
Elementary Real and Complex Analysis (Dover Books on Mathematics) by Georgi E. Shilov
Elementary Functional Analysis (Dover Books on Mathematics) by Georgi E. Shilov

Advanced Calculus of Several Variables (Dover Books on Mathematics) by C. H. Edwards Jr
Tensors, Differential Forms, and Variational Principles (Dover Books on Mathematics) by David Lovelock, Hanno Rund
>>
>>7838744
I'll be honest with you: unless you are a genius, there's no way that, without mathematical training, you will understand in 2 months analysis and differential geometry without sounding like a dumbass when someone asks a question.

Not only becuause they're somewhat difficult subjects (not that much) but also because they build on other fields (algebra, topology).

So just try to find how to solve this problem without relying on learning this in 2 months.

And, by the way, for geometry read doCarmo. I liked it when I read it.
>>
>>7838744
>I'm worrying right now because my math is pretty much shit thanks to my shitty undergrad CS courses. (No rigour maths, the hardest is probably Discrete math, my school didn't even offer Analysis, only Cal 1 2 3. Yes, the school is shit, don't ask its name).

Holy shit, which program give you an offer?.... I applied this year to several programs in the same area and they are very selective with the people they choose?
>>
You are going straight to PhD from undergrad?

I'm doing my masters first precisely for the reasons you mentioned.

Also can you share any advice on how you got in? How strong was your CV?
>>
>>7838744
>I'm worrying right now because my math is pretty much shit thanks to my shitty undergrad CS courses. (No rigour maths, the hardest is probably Discrete math, my school didn't even offer Analysis, only Cal 1 2 3. Yes, the school is shit, don't ask its name).

Nice bait faggot.
>>
>>7839096
My GPA is 3.8.
Got two papers published in my last year of undergrad. They are nothing much but it can make the prof know that I can write shit.
4 LoR.
>>7839019
I am not going to disclose that, sorry. But the one I got into was not that big in the field. I'm still worried because the prof seems to know his shit.
>>
>>7838821
Thanks for the book list.
>>7838971
Welp. I think I will try to avoid having a head on discussion with the prof on something too rigorous for a while.
>>
>>7838744
If you were admitted, that means your prof knows your current math level and thinks its manageable, so don't freak out. Start studying up some analysis but also let your prof know that you are lacking in some background material. Your profs job is to help you, not to call you out.
>>
>>7838821
>Elementary Real and Complex Analysis (Dover Books on Mathematics) by Georgi E. Shilov
>Elementary

I always wonder if this means it will be much less advanced content than Rudin et. al., or if it's just a general substitute for "introductory".
>>
>>7840277
It would really help if he knows about my math level by taking a look at my grade report.
I don't really want to talk directly to him about it. But if it comes to the worst and I can't get out, I think I will have to do it.
>>
You should quit or your prof will eventually see what a fraud you are.

Quit the study and sell your fart box instead
>>
>>7840591
You can sell fart boxes? I didn't know that.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.