[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can a simple smartphone help scientific research?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

I mean, what kind of app you could invent to make better use of our smartphones?
>>
>>7835938
Phones come with a lot of sensors for motion, heat, altitude, etc.

I once got the idea about making an app that would allow a nice interface for all of those devices inside your phone to turn it into a small lab but I decided against that because I'd have to read a fuck ton of documentation and then months and months of refining and design.

As a mathematician (well, student of maths) that is simply not what I am interested so I dropped the idea and kept making dumb phone games because at least that is mildly interesting.

Also, I'm sure someone must have done something like that by now so just search for it.
>>
>>7835961
>because I'd have to read a fuck ton of documentation and then months and months of refining and design.
I thought the OS did that for you and you get some simple API's as a developer?
>>
>>7835966
It does. What you get are objects from which you can access the devices and the data they collect.

However, to do this you have to know the methods, their parameters and what not to do to fuck everything up.

It is not that much work really, a couple of hours of reading would be enough. You can try it if you want.
>>
>>7835938
(1) Build and deploy surveys and other simple tests

(2) Sound recording with tools for phonetic analysis. Port Praat, basically

(3) Eye tracker with forward and backward-facing cameras???
>>
>>7835938
Building a huge Cluster so there will be some kind of Sumpercomputer in the end. This already has been done I think of the guys in Jülich but as far as I know it's not just not available anymore but also not open-source.
>>
>>7835938
There's the button where you shut it off and then you can start working on real things
>>
Somethings like BOINC
>>
Yeah, an app of distributed computing
>>
(without looking it up to find out if it already exists) Make an app that has all the formulas and theorems from each of the STEM degrees. And make it in a way so that its quick and easy to use.
>>
>>7835938
There are already a few universities and research facilities than can use your contributed processing power to for example find a categorize stars or planet's. To decrypt cancer cells or what ever. I forgot the exact thing but you can do a bunch of useful shit
>>
>>7835938
An app that solves mathematical equations by photographing them. I'm not saying that it's impossible or necessary, but it could save time.
>>
>>7835938
I've made chemical equation balancers
and implemented basic formulas into apps on my phone
>>
>>7835938
I've already spread my BTC miner to dumblings from all around 4chan.
>>
>>7840544
already exists
>>
>>7840919
like?
>>
File: FPDUWFLHMNNFTF0.MEDIUM.jpg (28KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
FPDUWFLHMNNFTF0.MEDIUM.jpg
28KB, 620x413px
It doesn't take much to turn an iphone into a microscope. Less than $10. How about an app that uploads pictures to a learning computer that learns to analyze and identify what it's looking at.
>>
cloud computing app

when phone is on wifi, charging, and between midnight and 5am. It will loan out its processing power to universities.
>>
>>7835938
Your """simple phone""" has more computing power than all of NASA.
You do the math.

>inb4 meme
>>
>>7835938
blackberry default apps on iphone
>>
>>7837847
RIP your battery life
>>
Someone at my university invented an app to be used in warzones that detects sounds to triangulate the source of gunfire

A simpler thing would just be to create an app that lends processing power of your smartphone to be used as part of a super computing cluster for like NASA
>>
>>7842538

No because NASA scientists in 2016 also have cell phones. So actually it has more computing power than NASA did in 1969 or something.
>>
>>7835938
> How can a simple smartphone help scientific research?

Calendars and todo lists. Sending and receiving phone calls. Checking emails and the news.

All arguably some of the most crucial aspects of the scientific process.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.