[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>grading math homework >someone turned in a handwritten

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 3

>grading math homework
>someone turned in a handwritten copy instead of using LaTeX
>>
>>7816816
fuck off im not going to a copyshop to print out 3 pages
>>
>>7816816
It takes forever to put shit in LaTeX though. I'd go through the effort for something more professional like a dissertation but for a homework? Fuck that.

Sounds like you're a shitty professor.
>>
>>7816816
You're probably a high school teacher if anything, so I highly doubt any high school kid would bother using latex
>>
>>7816816
If it is legible and formatting corresponds to how it would have looked in LaTeX, then you correct the math homework and not one's capabilities to use LaTeX.

I am in 3rd semester now and we are explicitly encouraged to hand in everything as handwritten. The only exception where we pretty much were required to hand in something made with LaTeX / ChemDraw etc. was a 1 week course with the goal to learn how to use those, and lab protocols for physical chemistry because those are 10+ pages long and usually have many data tables and diagrams. (I once handed in 12 pages handwritten and it was corrected without any greater complaints.)
>>
>grading linear algebra
>not a single student types up their work

send me the knives to cut my eyes out
>>
>>7816816
>using latex for something that will never need to be edited or reused

For what purpose?
>>
>>7816847
>I highly doubt any high school kid would bother using latex
Indeed; teen pregnancy is a serious issue.
>>
>student not sending in a second copy in braille in case i go blind

fucking students these days
>>
>>7816888
In texas maybe, but not in civilized western nations.
>>
>>7816847
>implying
I graded homework throughout undergrad and was severely annoyed by all of the handwritten submissions.

Or the fucking retard who would go into Microsoft word in turn in shit like "sum 1 to infinity alpha^n is convergent because it is. integral f ( z ) dz is equal to 2 pi i ..."
>>
>>7816863
this
>>
>>7817038
word can handle equations almost better than latex. That kid is just retarded.
>>
File: 1413112646952.png (170KB, 382x346px) Image search: [Google]
1413112646952.png
170KB, 382x346px
>>7816816
>TeXing your homework
>>
>>7816816
Your complaint is admissible only if you're grading graduate-level math.
>>
>>7816845
Any decent university should have at least one photocopier in yourr building
>>
>>7817210
That only graduate students have access to.
>>
>>7816816
>one person
>probably printer problem
>maybe just lazy
>being this butthurt

Yer one of dem non-pepper professors huh? 2.3? Amirite?
>>
>>7816914
LaTeXaS
>>
>>7816816
If my students have time to translate their work into latex, I'm obviously not giving them enough work, so I'll double the amount of problems per day.
>>
>>7817285
If you have time to transcribe and publish your research, you're obviously not doing enough research.
>>
>>7817291
>do so much research that you can't take a few minutes to record what you're doing, forcing you to languish in obscurity, allowing some undergrad intern faggot to find your research notes in your possessions upon your hot-pocket-induced and claim credit for all your work

Let me guess, you're doing it for "the sake of science" :^)
>>
>>7817291
>wannabe scientist
>failing this hard at logic
>>
>>7817280
That doesnt make sense
Oh, do you not know how to pronounce latex? Educate yourself.
>>
>>7817325
>this LaTeX-sass
>>
>>7817332
Now that made me genuinly kek
>>
>>7817325
It was obviously just a joke, calm your shit down.
>>
>>7817337
IT DIDN'T EVEN MAKE SENSE!
>>
You're boasting about your homework grading standards?
>monkey see wrong answer
>mark where wrong in red
>monkey see right answer
>mark green
>count green marks
>write number of green marks somewhere
>>
>>7817370
>marking correct answers
You are the worstest grader
>>
>>7817291

If you can't understand the distinction between research and homework, you're an idiot.
>>
>>7817285
If my professor has time to grade twice as many homework problems per day they're obviously not worried about their research. I'll double the amount of office visits I make just to hang out and ask for answers to the homework.
>>
>>7817381
>professor
>grading
found the community colleger
>>
>>7816816
At my undergrad it was forbidden to give in printed homework, so if you copy it you have to do it by hand.
>>
>being a professor
hahahahaha
>>
>Take an important finding to professor
>He won't even read it because it's handwritten
>>
>>7817319
>not being like Fermat
It's like you don't even have a degree in mathematics
>>
>>7817385
Not him but there is nothing wrong with taking two years at a community college...
>>
File: JUST.jpg (36KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
JUST.jpg
36KB, 400x300px
>in uni lib
>plebs talking loud
>they failed the uni's precalc and are retaking
>trouble with basic algebra

these people breed.
>>
>>7816863

/thread
>>
>>7817422
commit sudoku
>>
>>7817422
This
>>
>>7817163
> not sucking Knuth's dick

Clearly this guy is not a faggot
>>
>never typed my answers out in latex in my life
>handwrite everything
>in my last year of an honours math degree
>score near perfect on every assignment

Fuck off.
>>
>there are people on /sci/ RIGHT NOW who don't TeX up their homework

Embarrassing. Do you use an abacus for computations too?
>>
>>7816846
He's not a professor.
Professors have more important shit to do than grade homework assignments.
He's just another shitty TA taking advantage of his meager power to torture undergrads
Honestly it's the only satisfaction those poor souls get out of life

Also taking the time to use latex for a simple homework assignment?
Ya fuck you. I got 5 other math based classes competing for my time
what makes you feel so special?
>>
>>7817708
>Also taking the time to use latex for a simple homework assignment?
What? I can type much faster than I can write.
>>
Also, if it's not handwritten how the Fuck do you know they didn't just copy the file from a friend or download it off the Internet somewhere?
>>
>>7817717
Yes, because as we all know you can't copy down solutions from the internet by hand.
>>
>>7817385
>TAs grade everything at my uni
Found the pleb

At my university, high level courses often don't have TAs and professors often grade the work anyways because they want to grade harder than any TA would.

It's also a requirement to submit assignments in LaTeX and we get feedback on general typography and presentation as well as on the math.
>>
>>7817422
>there is nothing wrong with completing core credits at a community college
>getting a degree at a community college is retarded

Ftfy
>>
>>7817716
>I can type code faster than I can write numbers because I'm autistic
>everyone should be like me
>>
>>7817721
True, but it's harder.
Demanding students submit homework using a specialized computer program is just asking them to cheat
>>
>>7817716
This. I can type out a 20 page assignment faster than I can write it. More importantly I can work on it out of order and edit it as I'm typing it. This means that if I realize partway through that I missed some lemma early on then I don't have to rewrite or reorganize pages like some disgusting pleb.

I began using LaTeX in my first year and it did initially take more time to type than it did to hand write. Nowadays I can churn out beautiful LaTeX documents much faster and better written than I ever could while handwriting it.
>>
>>7817735
>type code
Most of math homework is written English in paragraph form. It's the same format every time and I have a template. The most code I type most of the time is $\sum_{k=0}^n a_k$, or I have to type equation tags. Any decent text editor autocompletes most of this for you. I get if you don't want to use Latex, but if your reasoning is it takes too long, you're stupid.
>>
>>7817732
Community colleges only offer two year degree programs. No one graduates community college with a bachelors degree. Rather they finish the first two years of a bachelors program and then transfer to a university. They also don't have to do all the dumb overpriced freshman shit like live in the dorms for their first year.
>>
>>7817735
>my math courses are still number based
lol'd
>>
>>7817742
What kind of mating are you taking where you have to write out full paragraphs?
I can understand if that is for graduate level courses,
but if op is talking about undergrad then those standards are just plain unreasonable
>>
>>7817752
Are you seriously talking shit about doing homework in Latex when you haven't taken a math class beyond the freshman calculus sequence? /sci/, ladies and gentlemen.
>>
>>7817747
That is literally what I said.

FYI associates degrees are still degrees
>>
>>7817772
No I'm talking shit about a TA expecting undergrads to do their homework in latex
>>
>>7817814
I'm not that guy but I've had professors in my undergrad math courses require it.
>>
>>7817663
I do nat sci (Bachelor's degree, not math, not physics, not CS) and 70 % of the math I need to do is couting to 6 (or, rarely 8), adding multiples of 1, 12, 14 and 16, and guess how much x is for log_10(x)=6.8.

The other 30 % are inserting formula (1) into formula (2) and roots or exponentiation which can be done with any non-scientific calculator.
>>
>>7817875
Samefag.
Though, if you wanted to teach me how to math well and when I find the time, I'd gladly take the opportunity.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.