[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get funding for an invention? It's simple enough

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: thomas-edison.jpg (519KB, 1680x1221px) Image search: [Google]
thomas-edison.jpg
519KB, 1680x1221px
How do I get funding for an invention? It's simple enough for me to build a prototype but to take it further I will need more money. Has anyone on /sci/ ever invented and marketed anything? Obviously I can't tell you anything but judging by the positive reception to some other idea of mine that I "gave away for free" on /sci/ (balanced lobe motor) it is probably a good idea.
>>
>>7812537
Build prototype
Go to bank
Show prototype
Ask for loan
Also lawyer for patents, but I'm sure they will advise you at the bank for that
>>
>>7812537
go to a company that sells related products and sell them your rights (you ahve to convince them it's a good invention obviously). You also have to make sure it's patentable, because if it isn't there's no way they'll buy your idea instead of just copying it.
>>
>>7812540
I have bad credit. I was thinking kickstarter, good idea?
>>
>>7812561
Damn, that's too bad. In banks they usually have departments for such things, and could have given you advice with regards to marketing, production etc., since they obviously want the product to be successful - they invented the money in it(if you convince them).

However going through the bank is more classical, and some people dont do that. I guess kickstarter could work. Can't give you any advice there tho srry. All I can think of is marketing. You need to convince people why they should give you their hard earned money
>>
How much money do you need and what are you inventing? I'm pretty fucking rich anon.
>>
>>7812585
Oh hiii Edison. Steal any good ideas lately?
>>
>>7812581
Maybe my credit can be improved? I believe I am only £5,000 in debt. Also last time I approached a bank for something else they said I had to front half the money. Do all banks do this?
>>7812585
It's drone technology, that's all I'm saying. Thanks for the offer but you could be a neckbeard so sorry.
>>
>>7812537
File a patent.
Make prototype.
Find companies that deal with what you've made.
Find person within company whose job it is to look for such stuff/evaluate such stuff.
Arrange a meeting.
Try to sell it.
>>
>>7812620
Just call your bank, tell them what you want and ask them for an advice. Try other banks if you get rejected. If you believe it worthwhile, show it to them, make them see it. Don't easily give up.
>>
>>7812653
Will a bank really overlook bad credit if they think an idea is good? I think it's good. I've already said too much but it's essentially a device that increases the thrust-to-weight ratio of a multirotor. I believe that my invention will do for the multirotor what the de Laval nozzle did for the rocket i.e unleash it's full power.
>>
>>7812647
I'd say this si the best answer, companies are willing to spend money on things that might beneffit them, even if it only means getting rid of future competitors. And they usually know their trade, so they'll know if your invention is worth it or not, unlike a bank that might only look into your credit history and have no idfea how to actually evaluate your invention
>>
>>7812722
Ok Amazon it is then. I hope they don't rob me.
>>
OP here I have another question, If I ever did go to university should I study product design or mechanical engineering? Product design I'm sure is looked down on here because it's semi art school however my only real reason to go to university is to get access to design competitions, funds and contacts. I don't have any plans to work for someone else. Mechanical engineering I suppose is more "prestigious" and employable which is good to have if my businesses flop however I find the traditional STEM subjects to lack creativity. Product design seems right up my street, technical yet creative.

tl;dr I want to study product design but mechanical engineering seems more "sensible".
>>
>>7812537
create a fucking company first.
>>
>>7814577
Anybody?
>>
>>7812537

I'll tell you my experience:

1) guy comes to me, has "great idea!"
2) we figure out market potential, sketch up architecture for prototype
3) get invited to incubator
4) "it's a great idea. but it's like 25 years too soon"
>>
>>7812599
Pretty much this, an atlas shrugged scenario. Just keep the invention to yourself, let the world burn. It's not even worth inventing anything for right now, in the end the chinks will jack it and there is not a thing you can do about it.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.