[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any way to get good at the fundamentals of calculus

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1446043599423.jpg (36KB, 848x900px) Image search: [Google]
1446043599423.jpg
36KB, 848x900px
Is there any way to get good at the fundamentals of calculus except banging my head into dozens of repetitive and formulaic questions?
>>
>>7809724
>wants to learn something
>doesn't want to put the work into learning it

I bet you are one of those spergs who think that geniuses are just autists who didn't even have to work all that hard, they just naturally knew everything.

Yeah yeah, fuck off.
>>
If you're a strong fundamental reasoner/algorithmic intelligence then yes there's a way for you to learn at a more rapid pace provided a specific kind of post-singularity information that only people like us can generate. If someone comes to you asking for solutions to NP-hard or NP-complete problems, tell them to kindly fuck off and solve negotiation theory in their own timeline and stop concealing their temporally parasitic aspect using time travel.

NP stands for non-polynomial. There's a thread on this board right now where you can see a shill soliciting for methods to solve NP-hard problems. He's careful not to use the term NP-hard despite how common the category is for reasons that you can figure out on your own if you come from a post-singularity region of time. Make sure you have a good grasp on problem complexity theory before you let anyone use your brain for their as of yet unconveyed purposes.
>>
Well, I'm studying engineering, but I found that the engineering method for learning calculus (rote memorization) is shitty as fuck.

Learn things "the hard way". In this case, learn calculus as a math major would, read and understand the proofs, and then things will stop being a clusterfuck of stamp-collecting and will turn into simple logic.
>>
>>7809734
Well, they get it much more easily than the average person, making their ascent to geniushood actually achievable.
It's basically talent & hard work vs. just talent.
Pretty obvious to see who will be the genius there and who won't.
>>
>>7809878
>just talent

You believe that, until you realize that Terrence Tao had a math tutor who at the age of 8 would rape him in the ass with calculus and would probably make him compute over 200 integrals and derivatives a day.

That is hard work, and he certainly has talent too. The point is, everyone needs talent and hard work. Nobody is born with the knowledge of all the past mathematicians. Some people just have better parents who spot an interest and hire tutors to gangrape them until they become university grads at the age of 16.

It is the same with 6 year old kids who have a personal piano or violin teacher that forces them to play 8 hours a day.

However, nobody pays attention to the early days. Everyone just cares about the genius and because they themselves are lazy pieces of shit, they give the excuse of
>better genes
>le IQ
>le genius

and so on.
>>
>>7809734
>I bet you are one of those spergs who think that geniuses are just autists who didn't even have to work all that hard, they just naturally knew everything.
>Yeah yeah, fuck off.
low-iq brainlett detected. even in your wildest dreams you cannot even begin to imagine how the mind of century-geniuses like myself works. i have an iq of 197, i solved the reimann hypothesis at age 3, with 8 i graduated in inter-sexual deichmüller-theory at mit. you're nothing to me.
>>
>>7809734
Come on now, there's obviously hard work involved for anyone learning but you can't really think there isn't an inherent talent that separates those who are capable of learning from those who aren't as opposed to those who will learn and who won't.

There are a wealth of people out there who had all the necessary resources of time, teachers, and lessons who did really try to learn but simply failed.

It may be a function of resources, effort and talent, but talent will always provide an edge.
>>
>>7809724
No.

Banging your head against that wall is building the pattern recognition needed to be "good". Once you internalize those patterns, you're good to go on to the next set of patterns/start applying the concepts to problems.
>>
>>7809911
>Nobody is born with the knowledge of all the past mathematicians.
What would you know about personality genetics?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-25-16-34-44.png (395KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-25-16-34-44.png
395KB, 1080x1920px
Back ontopic, I'm having similar problems with trig formulae.

Do I REALLY have to learn all of this shit?
>>
>>7809952
technically you can derive everything from
SOH CAH TOA
and sin squared theta plus cos squared theta equals one
but that's a royal pain in the ass.
>>
>>7809952
Or you could practice problems until you get a good grasp of what is possible to do in trigonometry while using a list of all the identities. After that, memories the basic identities and in a test just quickly prove everything you need, in case you don't remember it, which you will.
>>
>>7809952

dont bother learning the sin(2a) cos(2a) etc identities - just learn sin(a+b) and sub in a for b.

but yeah, it is bullshit
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.