[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Assume a solid disc of such a radius that at 1 rpm, a point on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 1301748893709.jpg (124KB, 683x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1301748893709.jpg
124KB, 683x1024px
Assume a solid disc of such a radius that at 1 rpm, a point on the outermost edge would travel at an angular velocity of 0.9c (or any relativistic speed).

Further assume that it's made of such a material that it doesn't break in any way under the strain.

What, if any, are the relativistic effects of a solid body where there's some portion that's at zero relative speed to the other portion of the body?
>>
>>7807248
Is this a variation on Ehrenfests paradox?
>>
>>7807248
wouldn't it just look like half its size, with the outer half being too fast to see
>>
>>7807248
>What, if any, are the relativistic effects of a solid body where there's some portion that's at zero relative speed to the other portion of the body?
The relativistic effects are that the body does in fact break and your assumption is contradictory.
>>
>>7807251
Reading about that now.
>>7807285
Why?
>>
>>7807285
>What is a thought experiment
>What is Born rigidity
>>
>>7807300
>What is a thought experiment
I'll tell you what a thought experiment isn't: It's not something where you can assume something *incoherent* and expect coherent results.
>>
>>7807319
So tell me how that whole square root of a negative one thing is working out.
>>
File: ehrenfest.png (39KB, 1457x212px) Image search: [Google]
ehrenfest.png
39KB, 1457x212px
>>7807248
spooky
>>
>>7807319
I've found the retard. Thought experiments are an important part of theoretical physics (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thought_experiment#Physics) You might notice that a lot of those experiments reached strange conclusions. What OP is talking about sounds very familiar to Ehrenfests paradox, something that fell out of a thought experiment involving a cylinder rotating at relativistic speeds.
>>
>>7807343
>>7807327
>Ehrenfests paradox
If I'm understanding what I'm reading at least somewhat correctly, I guess that is like what I was talking about...just something I've always been curious about and didn't know how to search for. Thanks.
>>
>>7807360
No problem, I actually had never heard of it until this thread so I grabbed that off of Wikipedia because it gave me an ah-ha moment for sure.
>>
File: stopped-there.jpg (19KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
stopped-there.jpg
19KB, 250x250px
>Ehrenfests paradox
>using Euclidean geometry
>not Minkowski
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.