[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What physical phenomenon limits the speed of light ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5

File: PP.jpg (115KB, 768x744px) Image search: [Google]
PP.jpg
115KB, 768x744px
What physical phenomenon limits the speed of light ?
>>
>>7806677
>physica;
gralvity
>>
>>7806677
the speed of causality.
>>
>>7806677
Earth, fire, air, and water
>>
>>7806677
Expanding space makes it appear speed of light is constant at c.
>>
Physics cops patrol the multiverse, mercilessly slaughtering all those who dare to violate their ironclad Rules of Reality. Their rule is draconian, their influence absolute... will you be the one who dares to circumvent their law? Do you have what it takes to accelerate to the max?
>>
>>7806711
I work for the intergalactic hall of justice. Can confirm.
>>
>>7806711
I am an attorney at physics law who defends particles during trials.
Can confirm.
>>
>>7806677
The properties of the medium of propagation, the omnipresent gravity field.
>>
File: smirks.jpg (9KB, 205x205px) Image search: [Google]
smirks.jpg
9KB, 205x205px
>>7806711
>I AM A SOVEREIGN PARTICLE
>AM I BEING REFRACTED???

This is what elementary particles actually believe
>>
>>7806677
What physical phenomenon limits the speed of Usain Bolt ?
>>
>>7806943
Not enough chicken wings
>>
>>7806677

I think it has to do with there being nothing faster than a particle without mass.
>>
38mph in sodium
>>
Tension of aether.
>>
god obviously
duh
>>
The better question is, what physical phenomenon allows an object to have velocity less than speed of light.
>>
>>7806677
>what limits the speed of light
Rayleigh scattering reduces the speed of light, I think? Or are you asking why the speed of light is constant? Because in that case I'm inclined to answer dF = 0 and d*F=0.
>>
>>7806711
i like this /sci/ meme
>>
File: 1453645035105.png (2MB, 1000x833px) Image search: [Google]
1453645035105.png
2MB, 1000x833px
>>7806936
kek
>>
File: electroVShydro.jpg (45KB, 697x389px) Image search: [Google]
electroVShydro.jpg
45KB, 697x389px
>>7806677
Whatever it is, it has an analog of density and compressibility that defines the speed of light.

[math] \displaystyle
c = \frac{1}{ \sqrt{ \varepsilon_0 \mu_0}}
[/math]
>>
I have heard that Maxwells equations imply either a universal reference frame of a speed limit. How?
>>
>>7808415
Solve them and figure it out.
>>
As light travels, there's dark energy in the opposite direction which prevents the photon from attaining infinite acceleration. As of now, we don't know for sure why it's there or how it works.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_energy
>>
>>7806678
This tbqh flam
>>
>>7806677
Invariance of the laws of nature under actions of the Lorentz group. Lrn2relativity
>>
>>7806936
Underrated post
>>
electrorelativacuumolution theory
>>
>>7806677
The medium in which it travels
>>
>>7807304
>ยต0
MAGNETIC PERMABILITY GO AWAY
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>7806677
Vacuum
>>
>>7806677
Some things are just elementary.
>>
>>7806684
>>7806706
>>7806867
>>7807304
>>7808840
>>7808849
>all of these unironic wrong answers

Properties of the "vacuum" (or what you really mean to call the electromagnetic field) determine the value of the speed of light, but not that it is a finite value to begin with. They don't "limit" the speed of light - they just set it's value.

The speed of light is limited to be finite by the postulate of relativity:
"The laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames of reference."
>>
>>7808893
I guess the question could have been posted in a better way. But as far as I undestood, he's asking why speed is light is c and not, let's say, c+1. Because we use such speed as a reference, right?
>>
>>7806936
Top kek
>>
>>7806677
Spread of memes
>>
>>7809292
Speed of spread of memes is, in fact, infinite.
-Charter on speed of memes; signed DankMemes High council. Annum 0, the beginning of universes
>>
>>7808893
>The speed of light is limited to be finite by the postulate of relativity: "The laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames of reference."
>its limited by what human say
>>
>>7808872
Thats literally no different than saying "because God made it so"
>>
>>7810572
...because he did?

*incoming storm of fedora
>>
>>7810635
because its both circular reasoning.
> it's like that because it just is
>>
>>7810642
Would you call the sky being blue or space being dark circular reasoning as well? The speed of light IS the speed of light, it is effectively a rule of law.
>>
>>7806677
Flipping the switch
>>
>>7806677
I dunno OP. I just know that radio waves take about 5 minutes per AU of distance to reach earth when we send out probes.

Relativistic Physics is a BUMMER man.
>>
Have we experienced a time lag in laser communications from space? Do all EM frequencies travel at the speed of light?

Radio, Microwave, Infrared, Ultraviolet, Visible Light, do they all travel at the same speed?
>>
>>7810647
Why does the universe have rules?
>>
>>7810651

Thats it.

Darkness limits the speed of light.

/thread
>>
>>7810663
Ok, rules is the wrong word. But due to the construction of the universe, certain things have certain properties. In the same way men have figured out how to make clouds rain, I wouldn't be surprised if we learned how to fuck with light in the future.
>>
>>7808893
Would it be safe to say that the speed of light is a property of space-time rather than a property of light?

if light is mass-less but has energy then its speed should be infinite, the only conclusion to be made is that the medium of space-time is what causes photons to move at the the speed they do.
>>
>>7806677
Soft Hairs bind to and bind as things to things traveling as waves, and basically it makes them denser than a given boson... and that results in a bunch of me not enjoying doing calculations
So go figure it out
>>
>>7810675
no its not.

rules is the correct word.

Why should the universe have rules? Why does it have ANY rules? Its like a damn machine, it has so many universal constants.

"It just does" is a bullshit answer.
>>
>>7810697
Well if it's like a machine, that gives the impression that it was BUILT, and not SPONTANEOUS.

hmm...
>>
>>7810698
I'm not saying it was built, I'm just saying it has rules, and the fact that it has rules is very, very odd.
>>
>>7810685
The properties of space time dictate that the speed of massless waves/particles is finite and cannot be exceeded or reached by massive waves/particles.
It is a property of a massless quantum field that the speed should have the measured value of 299,792,458 m/s.

In other words, relativity says not infinite, quantum says okay here's a value that works for me.
>>
Humanity's limited perception on the nature of the universe.
>>
>>7810697
here's the way I think about it
natural law = descriptive regularity in processes or behavior of phenomena
human law = prescriptive command, attempts to manipulate human behavior through language
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (54KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
54KB, 1280x720px
>>7810760
>once this baby reaches 300 million meters per second, you're going to see some serious shit!
>>
>>7811079

relativistic effects would be noticeable at even 1% of c but yeah, it's pretty up there
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.