[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If people in the past used to think the sun revolved around the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1448375326950.gif (334KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1448375326950.gif
334KB, 500x500px
If people in the past used to think the sun revolved around the earth, then what exactly was a year to them? Or did they know the earth spins on its own axis and adjusted the model movement of the sun to fit a year?
>>
>>7805893
A year is 12 months. A month is the time it takes the moon to orbit the earth.
>>
this >>7805926

they did that because it lined up so the seasons would come at roughly the same time every year
>>
100 years ago there wasn't such a thing as weekends.
>>
>>7805936
>>7805926
But that pushes you back four weeks every year. The julian calendar is pretty much the same one we use today and it accounts for a full year, doesn't that mean they were aware of the time it takes the earth to orbit around the sun?
>>
>>7805893
... Seasons?
>>
>>7806053
Yeah, it did slip, which is why they invented the gregorian calendar

Even then, you don't need to know that the earth is going around the sun to keep the seasons in order
>>
>>7805893
seasons you dumb fag
>>
>>7806066
No that's not my point, what I'm saying is that people at this time knew exactly or roughly how long it took earth to revolve once around the sun, what model of the "solar" system did they conceive? was the earth in the center yet it spins every 24 houts and the sun takes 365 days or so to revolve once around it while the planets apparently circle the sun unlike the moon? How did that make sense to them?

>>7806063
>>7806073
Measuring the year by its seasons is a filthy peasants practice, I'm discussing scholar knowledge here gentlemen.
>>
>>7806090
>scholar knowledge
>people of the past

THAT IS HOW THEY DID IT YOU DUMB NIGGER.

They were not fucking scholars. The best of them were still wife beaters and witch hunters you retarded mongoloid piece of shit.
>>
>>7806106
>roman empire
>best scholars were wife beaters and witch hunters
>Aristotle
>greek philosophers in general

I think you went too far back in time buddy.
>>
>>7806090
It's completely irrelevant whether the sun orbits you or you orbit the sun to measure the amount of days it takes for the cycle to repeat itself you twat

for all we fucking know, the solar system is an illusion and earth is actually on a conveyor belt that makes it go past 300 different suns in a year, but it still takes 365 days for us to get back the original ones that were making winter so it doesnt fucking matter
>>
>>7806143
>It's completely irrelevant
>it doesnt fucking matter
If you don't care then why are you here? Just because people don't care why the model works as long as it works doesn't mean there weren't some other more intelligent people who cared immensely.
>>
>>7806090
The Earth in the Ptolemic system did not move and it wasn't dead center of everything either. The planets and the sun moved like they were fixed to rotating discs which were themselves moving in great off-center circles around the Earth. Ptolemy had it all set up so that the timing of the sun's movements jived with the seasons pretty well.
>>
>>7805893
>then what exactly was a year to them?

The cycle of the seasons, as measured by the solstices and equinoxes.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.