[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When did functional analysis turn into a meme field? >we

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1428055665897.png (35KB, 760x573px) Image search: [Google]
1428055665897.png
35KB, 760x573px
When did functional analysis turn into a meme field?

>we already have a large zoo of function spaces
>b-b-but muh functions with this property are so special, they deserve to have their own function space with its own special name and symbol
>let's prove theorems about them, just for the sake of having proven theorems about them
Literally biology tier at this point. Every idiot thinks the can make up his own category regardless of whether it's meaningful or not. Enjoy your stamp collecting, functional analysis fags.
>>
File: 1441475240865.jpg (91KB, 482x395px) Image search: [Google]
1441475240865.jpg
91KB, 482x395px
Tfw math will advance so fast in your lifetime that there's absolutely no chance of learning it all
>>
>>7804233
It already has. Where have you been for the past few decades?
>>
>>7804239
Nah, it was like that for hundrets of years. Of course, at some point people came and cleared up subjects and made them accessible from simpler perspectives. There are so many many topics with hundrets of papers on them that people lost interest in and nobody today really knows about them.

e.g. you never learn much about
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heap_%28mathematics%29

and that's at least a simple to define algebraic concept. Things like

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branching_quantifier

are cooked up and lost in time. Those things survive that solve age old problems and you never hear about the thousands of mathematicians that tried and failed
>>
>>7804139
I heard about a case where a well-known mathematician wrote a paper in which he defined a space and proved various theorems about it... then later, after publication, someone pointed out the space was empty.
>>
When did everyone on 4chan lose the ability to actually criticize things rather than using the word meme?
>>
>>7805624
Keked a fair amount
>>
>>7805666
Around the rise of baneposting. It's cross-contamination leakage from /tv/ which escaped with the baneposting.
>>
>>7805624
that's what you get for dropping constructivism and blindly using absurd comprehension axioms
>>
>>7805624
That wouldn't surprise me, but c'mon, dude.

>I once heard this thing that happened that lends support to the point I'm trying to make, No, I can't remember any relevant details.
>>
>>7804252
There is still ongoing research on branching quantifiers. I think somebody in Helsinki is mainly working on them.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.