[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Look at this MIT CS & EE graduate's list of courses

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

Look at this MIT CS & EE graduate's list of courses he took. He skipped the mandatory single variable calculus, chemistry, and biology courses because of AP credits. This guy went on to do a software related PhD.

How THE FUCK can a CS major do INTRO TO ALGORITHMS in his FINAL FUCKING YEAR. What sort of joke educational system is Murrika running?
>>
>>7794288
Because just because a course is called "Introductory" does not mean it's cursory or easy?
>>
>ITT prestige whores
>>
>>7794288
>MIT can't even figure out how to name its classes like a normal school
>>
>>7794288
What are you trying to tell us? Why should a CS student even do biology or chemistry?
Besides, you can choose when do to your classes freely in many other countries.
>>
>>7794288
butthurt
>>
>>7794294
>Introductions are not easy

Well, you are a CS major. Take into account that most of us, unlike you, do have a functional brain.
>>
>>7794325
No, I'm not a CS major, I'm in MechE. Having taken "introductory control design" et. al. I know that the word introductory can be deceiving with regards to the difficulty and depth of the material covered in the course. But you are assuming so many things about this person's schedule just because you think your rank 30000 state uni in bumfuk nowhere is the same level of rigor as fucking MIT.
>>
File: i2a.jpg (118KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
i2a.jpg
118KB, 1000x750px
>this book is so easy
>>
File: undergrad_transcript.png (729KB, 1400x2552px) Image search: [Google]
undergrad_transcript.png
729KB, 1400x2552px
>>7794288
ITT post programs?
>>
>>7794340
Yeah. I bought that book when inbetween my pure mathematics classes I wanted to do something that would help me ease off and also get me applied skills.

It is not hard, just long. Even if you learn the math in it and not just the algorithms, you won't have a hard time either.
>>
File: Groningen_CSbachelor.png (135KB, 801x1873px) Image search: [Google]
Groningen_CSbachelor.png
135KB, 801x1873px
>>7794365
'Aight.

CS in Groningen, the Netherlands here. Started out alright, gets a bit bogged down in software development bullshit later on. Mathematics courses are a laugh.
>>
>>7794389
Neurobiology kinda comes out of nowhere
>>
>>7794365
are you a double phys/mech e?
>>
>>7794399
Was, graduated one class short of the physics major (classical mechanics), and moved on to a Master's in AE
>>
>>7794288
>asks why an EE/CS Degree isn't all CS

gee billy, maybe you should read the shit you post.
>>
>>7794406
I'm working on phy/mech e right now at my school, I'm going into my fourth semester. Any advice or cautions?
>>
>4 courses per semester
That's why

Also CS is a broad subject, intro to algorithms isn't too important if you're doing Automata or some shit
>>
File: 1448121001744.jpg (167KB, 600x3031px) Image search: [Google]
1448121001744.jpg
167KB, 600x3031px
>>7794415
Just the usual: figure out what it is you want to do in real life, and work towards that goal. I don't regret doing physics, since it gives me a better handle on stuff that comes my way in classes now, but it might have been better to focus more on grad classes in my field, instead. The only reason I have the job I do is because of a grad ME class I took on a whim, while I have never interviewed with someone who cared about my physics work at all.

Basically, if you know what you want to do, and find an opportunity to learn/do something in that field, don't let anything stop you.
>>
>>7794365
>>7794389
>Freshman Sem 1
Data Structures, Astrophysics, Macroeconomics, Linalg/MVC combined, intro engineering
>Freshman Sem 2
Computer Ethics, Linalg/MVC combined, Intro to Relational Databases, Number Theory
>Sophomore Sem 1
Digital Logic, Computer Org, Probability/Statistics, Discrete Math, Software Design
>Sophomore Sem 2
Automata, Algorithms, Differential Equations, Modeling, Programming Languages

Have a 3.5 and just started that last semester. Feeling pretty good about it. May graduate a semester early, but will probably just get a master's during my fourth year instead
>>
>>7794365
>Multidisciplinary Engineering Lab
>Heat Transfer
>Introduction to IC Engines
>Fluid Mechanics II
>Introduction to FEA
>Engineered Materials

wew lads.
>>
Only posting core classes of CS degree
>Freshman Sem 1
Into to Computer Science (learn basics using lisp
>Freshman Sem 2
Computer Ethics, Discrete Math
>Sophomore Sem 1
Data Structures done in Java
>Sophomore Sem 2
Software Development
>Junior Sem 1
Algorithms
>Junior Sem 2
Systems Design
>Senior Sem 1
Parallel Architecture, Databases
>Senior Sem 2
Senior seminar, Evolutionary Computation
>Additional
We have to take 15 elective math credits that are >= 3xxx
>>
>>7794396
There are a couple of tracks you can follow, BMC being the biomedical computing track. I don't know why neurobiology is suddenly relevant in the third year (probably to be able to do MRI stuff in Computer Graphics), I follow the standard INF (for Informatica) track. With the small differences between the tracks, I have no idea why they are even there and why people don't just follow a biomedical sciences or business minor.

>>7794427
Seems a bit scattershot. How do astrophysics and economics fit into a mostly CS program?

>Linalg/MVC combined
I hope it was better than our Linalg course. (which was later combined with MV calculus too)
https://studysupport.svcover.nl/Linear%20Algebra/Exams/2014-06-16.pdf

>>7794453
>Intro to CS in Lisp
noice
>Data Structures done in Java
barf
>>
>>7794460
I took astrophysics and econ because I was interested in physics/economics as a second field. Then I realized that econ theory is all guesswork and that I couldn't do anything with a physics degree except get more physics degrees

I want to specialize in embedded systems. Seems like it's going to be pretty relevant when the "Internet of Things" gets big
>>
>>7794425
Thanks a lot man.
>>
File: CS.png (886KB, 1170x500px) Image search: [Google]
CS.png
886KB, 1170x500px
>>7794288
>INTRO TO ALGORITHMS in his FINAL FUCKING YEAR

Algorithms is a complete joke of a class. He shouldn't have even bothered taking the class and should have done something more stimulating instead.

>a CS major

EECS is an alternative name for CpE. Don't group them in with the retards in CS.
>>
>>7794484
Good luck!
>>
>>7794389
don't you find yourself lacking on the maths side, when trying to approach some problems?
>>
>>7794389
Of je kiest gewoon serieuze wiskundevakken (zoals Group Theory and Algebraic Structures).

t. Ik ben TA voor dat eerste in Groningen
>>
>>7794288
That's a curriculum from well over a decade ago. Seems pretty reasonable actually.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.