[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does this make sense or does it have holes in it? Trying to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: Hexagon proof.png (107KB, 1354x1488px) Image search: [Google]
Hexagon proof.png
107KB, 1354x1488px
Does this make sense or does it have holes in it?

Trying to find a nice method to answer a lot of questions very formulaicly.
>>
>>7791583
how about at the midpoint on each side? that brings up the number of points to 19.
>>
>>7791607

Oh ofc, I forgot that. Whoops.

So I guess you do something similar to step 3 but at the beginning, just to make sure that kind of thing doesnt happen.
>>
File: Hexagon proof.png (178KB, 2050x1466px) Image search: [Google]
Hexagon proof.png
178KB, 2050x1466px
updated.

but what im really interested in isnt whether this works for this particular case, but whether the method would work for eveyr single question of the type:

"Fit X points into Y shape such that no two points are less than Z cm apart"
>>
>>7791583
>>7791659
What do you do if I want points 11 units apart from each other?
>>
19 is probably best in this case as you have stated, but you didn't prove anything yet
>>
>>7791659
Generally triangular packing is the best. However there are counter-examples with weird or shapes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_packing
>>
>>7791684
You could put 1 on each midpoint to start.
Even if it were 10,000 cm, you could place one in the middle.
>>7791583
What if you changed "not less than" to "greater than (but NOT equal to)"?
That way you'd not be allowed to have them exactly 10 cm apart and would have to consider more interesting patterns, and look at how you can perturb a solution to your question into one where they have to be strictly less than 10cm away form each other.
>>
>>7791707

oh man that really is interesting.

how would you even start working on a problem like that?
>>
>>7791827
I have no idea.
Maybe something like deformation theory, calculus of variations and sphere packing?
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.