[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Space Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 9

File: solarsystem4.jpg (43KB, 560x311px) Image search: [Google]
solarsystem4.jpg
43KB, 560x311px
What is the explanation for space being infinite? It's said to go on forever, but if it goes on forever, that means it never stops, meaning there are infinite solar systems like our own. Then again if we were to say it stops at one point, what happens? Is it like an invisible wall that you just "hit"?

My personal theory is that there is an end, but it's not so much an end as it is an endless loop. Let's say, for example, you exit the galaxy from the "top". You just come in through the bottom. Pic related.
>>
>>7790372
Impossibru.
>>
>>7790372
the "end" of the universe is the furthest point light (or matter if you want to make that the boundary) has reached since the universe began.
>>
>>7790372
>exit though the top
>come in through the bottom
>OP's theory confirms faster than light travel
>General and Special Relativity completely debunked
>Back to classical mechanics with us. I always knew Newton was correct and Einstein was just a faggot
>>
File: download.png (5KB, 216x234px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
5KB, 216x234px
You would enter the 'recombination zone" an area so hot and chaotic that electrons and protons cannot form matter. Needless to say, you would be shredded to nothing.
>>
>>7790372
I like to think that our universe is just a spread of matter from the singularity or 'big bang' event, that exists within infinite space.

I don't personally see 'all of space and existence' as 'our universe', I just see our universe as something that exists within the infinite space. I bet there's countless other universes and singularities floating around out there.
>>
>>7790470
No. Recombination was an event which happened 13.8 billion years ago when the universe was still hot. You can see it with a telescope as the CMB but if you traveled to that point (which you cannot) it would look much like the universe around us.

>>7791416
> universe is just a spread of matter
No. The universe expanded, it was not an expansion of matter in space but space itself.
>>
File: large.jpg (27KB, 414x349px) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
27KB, 414x349px
>>7790372
The universe probably looks like a recursive fractal spiral mobius torus thing that stays to itself but has a flexible boundary.

Not like your Maro Bros 1 version, but similar.
>>
>>7791453
>This

Mobius Strip continuous surface with higher dimensions
>>
>>7790372
It either goes on forever or curves back in on itself. The data we have implies that the universe does not curve.

>>7790397
There is no such point, since the universe is infinite, contains infinite matter, and is uniform. The universe did not begin at a certain point in space and expand out from there, it began everywhere in space and space itself is expanding everywhere.

>>7790404
You are confusing measured motion with proper motion. We already know galaxies are "moving" away from each other faster than light due to expansion, but their proper motion is not faster than light. Moving from one end of the galaxy to the other by crossing the "boundary" (although the universe is probably flat and therefore this is not possible) is just normal proper motion.
>>
>>7791469
>The data we have implies that the universe does not curve.

If it does we'd probably never be able to even see the curve for it being so ridiculously massive. Far out of the observable universe.
>>
>>7790397
It is likely that if you were able to travel with infinite velocity, no matter in which direction you went or how long. you would encounter matter in roughly the same distribution as in our observable pocket. Only the density would be decreasing over time as space continues to expand, creating local bounds what constitues a "universe".
>>
>>7791469
>the universe is infinite, contains infinite matter, and is uniform
No, no, and no.
Lrn2cosmology fgt pls
>>
>>7790372

It's bullshit. We just don't have the technology to go to space and find out if space goes on forever or if there is an end.
>>
At what point does a gigantic star becomes a black hole?

also would it be possible for a black-hole to orbit a star?
>>
Space isn't infinite. This entire thread started on a false premise
>>
>>7791617
Given that an infinite universe with a uniform mass distribution is an allowed topology given the CMB data and the flatness condition, I don't really see what you are trying to get at.
>>
>>7791617
That is the current standard theory in cosmology you stupid fuck.
>>
Okay so first off the universe is a huge mystery to which the likes of any of us will never figure out! Space and time alike must be infinite since there is no start or end as for that there will always have to be a before and after e.g what happened before the big bang? Therefore the universe is most likely an asexual being as such in the sense that it probably constantly creates and destroyes itself all at the same time. So when it inevitably destroys itself all of its leftover gases will form again to recreate the same universe from scratch! Thats my theory anyways!
>>
>>7792490
Well I suppose that explains the Mandela Effect pretty well. Good theory, Anon.
>>
space =/= universe
universe = finite
space = infinite
space is most likely the definition of nothing, and nothing goes forever within something finite in it
>>
>>7792490

but wat if humans are not evolved enough to see beyond their own 3D dimension?
>>
>>7792861
That is completely irrelevant.
>>
>>7790372
>My personal theory is that there is an end, but it's not so much an end as it is an endless loop.

So it's true, the universe is donut shaped
>>
>>7792490
!!!!!!!
>>
periodic boundary conditions cause even nature prefers easy implementations, i dig.
>>
How do I get into amateur astronomy?

Any recommended books, sources, or even equipment?
>>
>>7793785
Star maps (non-Hollywood) and binoculars, work your way up. Although books on basic physics that's used for astronomy are much more valuable.
It's not what you know, it's what you can know, predict and yes it's about how you know what you know.
>>
>>7792490
>Okay so first off the universe is a huge mystery to which the likes of any of us will never figure out!
>...Thats my theory anyways!
Ayy
>>
>>7790397
Ah yes, that our basement Universe. The Observable Universe. Multiverse on the other hand...

>>7791658
After supernova. Mass wise: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_black_hole\

Possible. But it might get too hungry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou3TukauccM

>>7791663
Correct. It's way more possible that the Universe is finite, just really really really huge.
>>
>>7792861
Demonstrate these claims.
>>
File: Dean Nervous Coffee.jpg (3KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
Dean Nervous Coffee.jpg
3KB, 300x168px
I really hate space. I hate that there's theoretically an infinite amount of things in the universe that could destroy our planet in an instant. I hear about that bright supernova and all I can think is "Is that thing sending something our way that will kill us all". It's getting to the point that I have trouble sleeping at night.
>>
>>7791617
He's correct.
>>7791671
You're telling me black is white. That's just not true.
>>
>>7790372
>space being infinite
yablewit.jpg
>>
>>7794755
You will never experience the moment of your own death, so from your perspective you appear to be immortal. Rest easy bud, and try to survive those threats you can actually do something about.
>>
>>7791453
In this universe if you traveled to the 'edge' would you not come back to where you started but you would be inverted 3-dimensionaly?
>>
I think that infinity is an impossibility.

The only rational explanation is that some God-like intelligence created the universe as we see it. Think of the universe as the leftover remnants of an inter-universe total war.
>>
>>7794769
Read a book you dumb faggot.
>>
>>7794809
That's not a rational explanation. And your intuition is irrelevant.
>>
>>7794809
Why would I think of it that way? How could that possibly help me?

The universe being most easily modeled by an infinite mathematical object is so believable I know the details will bore me to tears.
>>
File: 1438017732265.png (819KB, 1139x857px) Image search: [Google]
1438017732265.png
819KB, 1139x857px
I understand space and what we know and theories and ideas, but I still find the universe tremendously confusing at the best of times. Then I go outside with my telescope and feel really small. Life is unfair and all that, but I still feel shafted by the universe at large. It's going to keep us in the dark and I don't like that one bit.
>>
The universe is 14 bln years old so you can be sure that it was spread over 14bln years * speed of light. So it is not infinite. There might be another universe(s) though, but we won't be able to know if it is true anyway
>>
File: Titania_Earth_Moon_Comparison.png (432KB, 729x490px) Image search: [Google]
Titania_Earth_Moon_Comparison.png
432KB, 729x490px
>>7790372
>Space Thread
unf.
>>
https://youtu.be/6poHQ2h00ZA

When exactly are we all going to die?
>>
>>7796848
>you can be sure that it was spread over 14bln years * speed of light

No.
>>
>>7794803
No, you'd think you were traveling in a straight line, but you'd actually be following a mobius curve.
>>
>>7796848

space has been spreading out as well. The universe is more than 14 billion light years across.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OLz6uUuMp8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbsGYRArH_w

Is it an open universe, a closed one, or a flat one?

Figure it out yerself.
>>
>>7790372
So say there was an edge of space.
The universe expands uniformly in all directions from every point in space.
The expansion rate therefore is proportional to the distance away from the observer.
So really far stuff moves away really fast. Like, really really fast. Like faster than light fast.
So if the universe has an edge, you'll never see it. Nobody will. It will never interact with anything. When people talk about the edge of the universe, they typically are referring to the visible universe.
>>
>>7798635
The universe does not expand uniformly. The universe is expanding at an accelerating rate
>>
File: 1260761379988.png (10KB, 291x313px) Image search: [Google]
1260761379988.png
10KB, 291x313px
>if space is expanding, then what is it expanding into?
>>
>>7798667

nobody knows, could be nothing, could be anything. cool to think about though right?
>>
File: 1449793990301.jpg (29KB, 500x447px) Image search: [Google]
1449793990301.jpg
29KB, 500x447px
what if there were/are more big bangs happening far away????
>>
>>7798710
They might be but if we can never detect them are they really happening
>>
>>7798732
Sounds like the age-old question "does a falling tree make a sound when no one's around?"
>>
>>7794809
Christ almighty /sci/
>>
>>7799470
Exactly.

>>7796848
The observable universe is 93 billion light-years across. And for all astronomers know the universe is infinite.
>>
>>7798956

Sound is just something we as humans perceive. It's a result of vibrations. In this case, the appropriate vibrations occur but no human is present to perceive them
>>
>>7790372
Just in relation to your "infinite solar systems like our own" statement-not necessarily.

List all of the numbers between 2 and 3. That list is infinite but contains no whole numers.

There caould be an inifinite number of solar systems but none of them could resemble ours. Infinity is a tricky concept.
>>
File: 1404753725565.gif (967KB, 245x250px) Image search: [Google]
1404753725565.gif
967KB, 245x250px
>be from a species of apes
>always just had to imagine the size of a forest
>suddenly get smarter and conquer the planet
>suddenly have to imagine the size of the universe
yeah no
>>
Space is literally just a waste of space, it's inflated over nothing... black holes use the empty space.
>>
>>7796848
Your logic is terrible. First of all, the expansion of space is occurring faster than light. Second you assumed what you wanted to prove by assuming the universe started out as finite. The universe was always infinite, it "expanded" (meaning local density decreased) and it's still infinite.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.