[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In Lambda calculus, how can I make a lambda expression input

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: 1445120682610.png (78KB, 249x250px) Image search: [Google]
1445120682610.png
78KB, 249x250px
In Lambda calculus, how can I make a lambda expression input the abstraction (the definition) of another Lambda expression?

Like, if I have a lambda expression which multiplies x by 3, I want to input "the expression of multiplying x by 3".
>>
>>7790190
I don't understand what you're asking. Can you explain in more detail?

Reading through these lecture notes might help as well.
http://arxiv.org/abs/0804.3434
>>
>>7790221
I want to input a lambda expression as a lambda expression, and not as what it outputs.

An equivalent with traditional mathematical functions would be this:
Inputting a function as it's defined using set theory, instead of just inputting its output.
For example, the function f simply inputs the result of g here: f(g(x)). What is desired is to input the definition of the function - its domain, range, and all the tuple mappings between the two.
>>
>>7790245
First of all, in set theory, functions are actually just sets of ordered pairs.

For instance you may have a function
[math]f=\{(1,a),(2,b),(3,c)\}[/math]
Then saying [math]f(1)[/math] actually means you're evaluating [math]f[/math] "at" [math]1[/math]. In other words, [math]f(1)[/math] is not a function, it's just an element of the co-domain. I.e.
[math]f(1)=a[/math]

So writing something like [math]f(g(x))[/math] is just f evaluated at "g evaluated at x". If you do this element wise then you can produce a new function that is the composition of the other two but formally this is subtly different from evaluating one function on the output of another one.

All that said, if I understand you correctly (I'm honestly not sure I do because I find your explanation kind of strange to be honest) what you want is to write something like

(\g \x. f (g x)) G
where G represents the lambda expression for the function you want to evaluate x on before feeding it into f.
>>
>>7790190

This cat is cool looking.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.