[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Relearning your fundamentals

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

File: wallhaven-290785.jpg (423KB, 2800x1400px) Image search: [Google]
wallhaven-290785.jpg
423KB, 2800x1400px
Hi /sci/

I took engineering in uni and it felt like we did a decent chunk of math throughout. Not anywhere near the real math degrees, but we had some decent fundamentals down.

I graduated half a decade ago and I've been working a dead end job where I use nothing I learned at school

I just recently came across a problem where I needed to get the position of something given velocity, acceleration and time. That's straight up high school stuff, and its one of the basic kinematic equations for uniform acceleration.

But the thing is, I didn't remember what it was. What's worse, I wasn't really able to derive it on my own either. It felt pretty bad but so many years of not touching *any* of this stuff puts you out of it.

Does anyone else feel this way? Are you all able to quickly spit out the really basic stuff you learned in highschool and university ?

Do you have any suggestions for how to refresh all this stuff? I'd like to maybe spend three or four hours a week just going over all the basic math and physics stuff... but I don't want to crack open a dozen textbooks and work through everything.

Are there any 'compressed' refresher style books or w/e you can recommend? I feel so dull /sci/, I want to feel a bit sharper again.
>>
>>7787209
I've seen this recommended on /sci/ a lot.
http://www.amazon.com/Mathematical-Methods-Physical-Sciences-Mary/dp/0471198269

but the pdf of it I just downloaded is ~860 pages, so that probably doesn't fit the 'compressed/ refresher' description
>>
>>7787231
Looks good, I'll check it out

>but the pdf of it I just downloaded is ~860 pages, so that probably doesn't fit the 'compressed/ refresher' description

Well if its just one book thats pretty good desu. What I meant was more like, I don't want to look up each of my courses, get a similar textbook (or just find the original in my garage if I still have it) and work through things that way
>>
>>7787209
>Are you all able to quickly spit out the really basic stuff you learned in highschool and university ?

After 18 years in industry, most of my colleagues that I've worked with can't. Hell, some of them that were particularly weak couldn't remember that stuff a year after graduating. I can (mostly) and it really impresses people.

>Do you have any suggestions for how to refresh all this stuff? I'd like to maybe spend three or four hours a week just going over all the basic math and physics stuff... but I don't want to crack open a dozen textbooks and work through everything.

I suppose you could use Schaum's outlines or whatever your local brand of study guides is. But, frankly, they're just summaries and don't bother with much in the way of explanation if/when you get stuck.

The textbooks were designed specifically to explain things to students and, hopefully, you have some residual memory of going through them. They're still your best bet, IMO.
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.