[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is autism an advantage in mathematics?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

File: 2371839-dex_5.jpg (16KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
2371839-dex_5.jpg
16KB, 320x320px
Is autism an advantage in mathematics?
>>
>>7786356
The only thing that matters in math is IQ.
>>
File: image[1].jpg (111KB, 800x449px) Image search: [Google]
image[1].jpg
111KB, 800x449px
seems so
>>
Dont autism commonly follwed by low intelligency?
>>
>>7786356
No.
>>
>>7786356
As a whole, no.

There are certain very high-functioning people who happen to get the right mix of all the autistic traits that are all be helpful in mathematics (obsessive focus, strong pattern recognition, strict adherence to rules, etc.) but for every autistic person who succeeds in higher math there are probably hundreds or even thousands whose disorder stops them from doing anything of the sort.
>>
>>7786370

But all those people in the first half achieved what really mattered to them (at the time), to us: their work. Quite the opposite of your pat comment, half the content of your post is easily read as supportive of OP's (who I am not) question, in the affirmative.

>>7786356

OP, I would suggest that a certain sperg/geek bent on thought, plus raw intelligence, is /to a point/ advantageous to doing and developing mathematics. But it clearly also has diminishing returns in communicating one's results, sticking around longer, etc --- which is the part where the other guy's passage illustrates the conclusion that he wants --- but it's only half true, as I've pointed out.
>>
File: IQ test.jpg (73KB, 587x391px) Image search: [Google]
IQ test.jpg
73KB, 587x391px
I work with autistic kids. They suck at math. Just the other day I ask him what 2+2 was. He bit me.
>>
>>7786356
You're probably referring to savantism.

>>7786401
There is a huge difference between high-functioning autists and low-functioning autists. If you actually do work with autistic kids, you should be aware of this.
>>
>>7786370
source?
>>
There was a legit autist in my undergrad program. He would legit freak out and throw fits over not understanding things. For instance, he tried to jump into an advanced grad class without any outside studying of relevant material on his own thinking his undergrad algebra class would be enough. He broke down in tears turning in the first homework and spent the first 10 minutes of class moaning to the prof before he dropped.
>>
Can be. High functioning autists (this includes the nonverbal ones yes) tend to excel in something specific and don't have cognitive deficits regarding intellect. This can be math. Autism affects cognitive processing, which can lend itself to amazing skills in some area. However even the developmental cap can make it difficult to unlock potential. A lot of HF autists are too inundated with anxiety and have trouble unlocking the "knot" of imagination and intellect to fulfill the potential they really have, and tend to develop these skills later on if at all.

to answer your question, if high functioning it can be advantageous only if psych treatment is administered.
>>
Of course it helps. Having friends only distracts from the true goal of doing Mathematics.
>>
Autists have severe deficiencies in abstract thinking. That should impair mathematical ability if anything. Maybe they are good at memorizing math proofs.
>>
>>7786500
Not me, but I had a friend in an advanced statistics course which involved a lot of calculus and programming in R.

There was a guy in the class who was on the spectrum and a little weird socially, but after the first class came in with all the errors in the math textbook to the professor. Proceeded to get a perfect score on every exam.
>>
>>7786455
>>
>>7786356
I'm autistic and I find it an advantage. That that for what it's worth.
>>
>>7786582
plural for proof is prife
>>
>>7786606
Samefag here. I meant "Take that for what it's worth."
>>
>>7786366
He's a physics pleb. Autism is the driving force behind physics.
>>
>>7786668
What is the magnitude of that force?
>>
>>7786356
Improved memory from the norm, naturally highly logical mind and pretty much auto-OCD about a subject that interests us. I'd say so.
>>
>>7786453
Its pretty ableist to call one group of people affected by autism "High functioning" and another group "Low functioning"
I believe that everyone has a special talent that can shine out with the right treatment!
>>
>>7787750
>ableist
>>>/srs/
>>
>>7787992
>/srs/
Autism
>>
>>7786370
What does all that have to do with a high IQ???
For example, Gödel starved himself to dead not because he was stupid (in a logical thinking sense, which is basically what the IQ stands for), but because he was paranoid with the idea that someone was trying to poison him.

All you said does not imply at all that they might have had some sort of low IQ.
>>
The only math major on my floor has a single because he has autism. Coincidence?
>>
The research mathematical area, as all the working mathematicians know, it is indeed a very social one. Of course a huge part of the work is done alone in your room/office while wearing nothing but a hat and listening to Chopin's nocturnes. But without the social component (conferences, working proofs with colleges, commenting what you're doing, etc...) the advances will be rather insignificant. The social component is very crucial in this widely unknown area.
>>
>>7788114

>student has a mental disorder relating to social difficulty
>all humans must learn a baseline repertoire of social interactions in order to become functional adults
>student is automatically given a special dispensation for a "medical single" for no other reason than that he has a mental disorder
>special dispensation allows student to more easily avoid and minimize a deficient part of his character when in his case, he needs to be doing the exact opposite-forcing himself to socialize periodically in between the rest

I had a friend who had depression and was also (wrongly) given a medical single at one point, and for basically the same reasons.
>>
>>7786401
>kid with the allahu hakbar finger
Must be from Sweden
>>
File: schizotypy spectrum.jpg (225KB, 1239x1754px) Image search: [Google]
schizotypy spectrum.jpg
225KB, 1239x1754px
sounds like you guys would find this interesting
>>
File: all of sci.png (282KB, 928x658px) Image search: [Google]
all of sci.png
282KB, 928x658px
>>7788251
>>
>>7786356
By definition(movie version) autism is an advantage in anything though focused on one thing. if your autism enables you to be good at math you are only going to be great at math, but only math. If your autism is on the other hand directed at drawing you will only be great at drawing and nothing but.
>>
>>7789135
interesting
>>
>>7786356
I know an autistic guy that is incredible at drawing(Like gets into any artschool he wants good). However, He's fixated on Cruise Ships, Trains, and Pixar characters.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.