[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How hard is a Physics major? What should I start off with?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (195KB, 720x690px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
195KB, 720x690px
How hard is a Physics major? What should I start off with?
>>
>>7781732
Fairly easy
>>
>>7781759
kek
>>
>>7781732
Easier than math but harder than biology.
>>
>>7781732
Just memorize your formulas and you'll do good. It's not as difficult as social sciences where you actually have to understand stuff which is too complex to be described by mathematics.
>>
>>7781732
its just memorising equations, m8
>>
>>7781853
Physics is harder than Math

People with a Physics major have a higher IQ than those with a Math major.
>>
If you like the subject and have a good work ethic, it's very doable.

>>7781732
How big is Jabba's dick? Or is he the dick and the real Jabba actually a small minuscule head?
>>
>>7781868
>Feynman
>high IQ
choose only one
>>
>>7781868
Sure that's why physics majors cry about failing their linear algebra and analysis intro classes all the time? Experimental physicists are as mathematically illiterate as biologists.
>>
It depends on your background in mathematics and how much time you can spend studying and doing problem sets. It's not a degree that you can just go to class, do homework, and take exams. You'll be below average if you don't learn how to study.

You should start off by learning calculus and picking up books on analytical mechanics (make sure there's sections on special relativity) and modern physics. Electrodynamics needs multivariable calculus and I don't know if you know that. But the best way to get through a degree like this is to actually start learning all the major topics way early. Even if you can't reformulate all of special relativity from scratch, or even atomic physics, you can develop and intuition early on. That's what I did.

Get a copy of Tipler Modern Physics.

>>7781863
Full of shit.
>>
>>7781853
less rote than bio (to an extent) and still easier than medicine.
>>
>>7781879
>It's not a degree that you can just go to class, do homework
I did this and I got best grades. What the fuck are you talking about? Are you a brainlet?
>>
>>7781884
If you're saying you went through an entire 4 years of a physics degree without putting in serious reading/studying/problem set time outside of class that wasn't graded, you're either lying or got your degree from a meme school.
>>
>>7781890
Do German universities qualify as meme schools?
>>
>>7781863
This. I remember my first upper level Political Science-class where I had write a dissertation on comparative politics. Without the guidance of mathematics you are left to think at a much deeper level about things. Literally felt like my brain was frying right there. I worked my ass off and managed to get a B. It's my proudest moment.
>>
>>7781893
Yes, obviously
>>
>>7781868
In some sense it is harder yes, in others not. Maths can be more intuitive than certain branches of physics, physics often involves experimentation which is a skill in it self. The maths in maths is harder obviously but physics isn't maths and maths isn't physics
>>
>>7781868

A math degree can be easy or hard. If you care, it will be harder than physics.
>>
Judging by the drop out rate and the gpa, its one of the easier STEM majors, if you go to the right university you can avoid chemistry entirely.
>>
Depends on your IQ, which itself is determined by your genes.
>>
>>7781896
>math fags not being able to write meme
I guess it is true
>>
File: 1450320530861.gif (2MB, 350x234px) Image search: [Google]
1450320530861.gif
2MB, 350x234px
>>7781893
Depends... how much Fem-Nazi cock did you take?
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.