[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /sci/ I'm 26 with no college education. Is there any

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

Hey /sci/
I'm 26 with no college education.

Is there any hope for me in the STEM field? Currently doing commercial pest control and I'm the only one in my Branch that actually reads the labels, I also enjoy solving problems through research and study. My managers actually praise me for knowing most of the active ingredients in the products we use.

tl;dr: how do I make a living solving problems and researching?
>>
Start studying and get a job in engineering or a research field that you like. Maybe chemistry? You don't know if there's hope until you've tried.
>>
>>7781109
seen this thread a bunch. heres what you are going to get out of it:

1. consider that enrolling in a STEM field means your 26 year old ass will be up against 18-19 year olds that are smart enough and motivated enough the first time around.
2. sci/fags are going to have no sympathy and probably be irritated by your question. you will either get but hurt or realize they have good reason to behave that way.

dont appeal to sympathy to argue that your the right guy to pursue stem. hopefully other people in this thread will be gracious enough to give you good advice.
>>
>>7781117
Thanks! I have gotten on the renewable energy bandwagon, been looking for entry level work in my locale. After several years of thinking about what I wanted to do in life, researching and advancing the energy sector seemed like a good fit. I assume it's a field where I wouldn't have to explain things to people and convince the unknowing to accomplish a goal.

Don't get me wrong, I love talking to people, and explaining things that I confidently know to those that don't, but even in my current industry, it is a surprisingly daunting task to get people to change a cultural tick or habit in order to prevent pests, so I'm trying to stay away from an area where doing that is part of my job.
>>
>>7781141
Yea, I saw that crowd coming. I understand the limitations set by my age and lack of knowledge. I know very well now that I should have taken care of my life goals and steps to achieve them 10 years ago, and I have no excuse for having waited, but that being said, if I get 99 "lel too old, pleb normie " responses to 1 helpful advice, I'll take it.

I know I want to learn more and be more to the world than a grunt labor worker or middle management, that much is for sure, just getting a late start on finding a method to get there.
>>
>>7781141
>ill be up against 18-19 year olds that are smart enough and motivated enough the first time around.
>motivated enough

Lmfao. What nonsense. Have you seen the dropout rates?
>>
>>7781182

There's no limitation set by your age, you're 26, not 66. If you get your shit together, you can start working by your early 30s.

What you need to do is find out if you can understand the work. I don't know about where you're from, but in the UK we have the Open University, which is a respected distance learning university with no entry requirements whatsoever. You can study and work at the same time. They do extremely low level courses. After studying for 2 years with them, you can transfer over to a brick university (if that's what you want).

Find out if your country has something similar. That way you can study without quitting your job. You'll find out soon enough if you have what it takes.

Ignore 90% of the people on here, they're clueless children. Quite literally children.
>>
>>7781190
well then. if your right that cheers me up and gives me a good laugh. no i havent seen the drop out rates. anyway I mention it because that is the typical response some one will give in these threads. its not something i know about personally
>>
>>7781117
OP here, also in response to this: are there actual jobs in engineering or research to people who do not have degrees? I have at least one friend working in IT having no education in that field. I asked how he got the position and he replied that he'd displayed a proficiency for working with computer hardware and software. I don't believe that to be the whole story but I also don't know.

Is there a way to get into STEM fields by simply showing a proficiency in any given subject?
>>
>>7781200

P.s

It's going to be hard. You won't be doing anything else apart from studying. Make sure it's what you want.
>>
>>7781220
Most useful goals are difficult to acheive, imo. Thank you for the advice tho, I think we have a few cheap or free online universities in the US, will have to look them up, I've considered this, just been busy as all hell with work the past year, which is another reason I'm trying to find a workplace that is more aligned with my intentions and career path.
>>
If it makes you feel better OP, my uncle got his life together in his late 20's/early 30's, went to school for construction engineering at community college, then transferred to sac state. He now has a comfy job making bank. Dont listen to people discouraging you on here, you can do it. I know it sounds clliche, but it honestly just takes a lot of hard work and determination to get through it all. Also, the "intelligent" 18-19 year olds will only be found at top-tier universities. Anywhere else, they are pretty slow. Someone else mentioned the dropout rate and its true, lots of kids just party too much and get distracted from school.

Have a clear goal, stay focused and you can make it. I believe in you
>>
>>7781247
Do you by any chance live in California? Also, NEVER ever go to ITT tech or some other fraud institution like that.
>>
I know someone that is in similar situation. This person is worried about starting too late. So I ask for honest answers, anons, how hard is it to a person who got their degree being 31/32 years old make a career in STEM fields? Would this person be able to compete against 23-25 years old people, in the eyes of employers?
>>
>>7781274
Nah, Texas.
I've gotten wise to schools that put too much into advertising.
>>
>>7781284
See
>>7781269
My uncle was pretty much 30 when he started all of this, its a long path but you can get there. Employers dont care as long as you know what you're doing
>>
>>7781269
Thanks anon, I know it can be done. The funny thing is, I put in a lot of time and effort into any work I do, I've learned a lot about entomology just from working in pest control, so I figure getting a job in a field in really interested in could yield similar results. It helps that my wife is working toward a degree in bio medical.
>>
>>7781109
im 33 and this is my first year, this aint even my country and its my third fucking language

if i can, you can, now man the fuck up, faggot
>>
>>7781109
What have you been doing after HS?

I was in the military for 8 years. Got out at 25 (finished HS at 17) and I fuck all until I was 30. That's when I enrolled in CC and went to UWash. Workin in stem now. You can do it too since for 5 years I basically moped around a blew my money
>>
>>7781542
Very encouraging, thanks anon.
>>
>>7781549
It's a long story, lots of moping. A couple of bad relationships. A lot of developing a personality, deciding what I like, doing stupid things I should have done in high school to get out of the way (drugs, alcohol, women). A solid 3 years between 19 and 22 I spent taking car of my mom, which was about the worst time, she's a hoarder with a long list of ailments. It was actually good for the first few months because I had work and so did she, we split the bills 50/50 and even only making 8/hr that allowed me to save 2000 dollars in about 4 month, which I planned to use towards CC, but she got hurt at work so all my money got funneled into taking care of her and I.

Started to turn around when I met my wife, but even after moving out, I did the bro thing and let her go to school first while I worked full time. In hindsight that was a bad move, as she still has a couple years left to a degree and her main focus is animals and you can see how that doesn't equate to a good paycheck for her.

My original plan was she would go to school for a few years then have a good enough job that I could do part time and school while she worked but it's starting to look like I'll just have to bear the stress and do school and work full time.

Anyways...
tl;dr bad decisions.
>>
>>7781617
not to mention i had to validate my HS shit from my country because apparently its just not that "good" here, so i wasted 3 years doing that and learning the language

dude, life happens, if you can and have the means, do it, go for it, or else you WILL regret it for the rest of your life
>>
>>7781854
Damn man, where do you live now? Once I do get it all together we thought about moving to Yurop, assuming it's not in shambles by then. Always looking for opinions about work and life from the various countries over there.

I know, I've learned the pain of discipline is far less than the pain of regret.
>>
File: weave1.png (1MB, 1600x863px) Image search: [Google]
weave1.png
1MB, 1600x863px
>>7781109
cool weave check out mine from a few years ago.
Also i'm a 22 yo dropout who has worked for about a year before just returning to college. I can tell you that the age gap is going to be something that isn't let's say "all too nice".
If you're motivated enough to follow a certain course you should be able to haul yourself through.
I also had talks with studyadvisors who told me that told me it's really hard for people our age to drop in. Don't believe them. Talk up with your newly found classmates and make friends. a big part of the stuff you have to do will be in group+ friends share notes during studying periods.
Sure your math and sciences may be tons rustier than your new kindergarten friends but because you're older you have more motivation (because let's face it life sucks and they obviously haven't noticed that yet) and discipline.
Long story short : it is perfectly possible, but expect to work your ass off.
>>
>>7783371
Also keep in mind that you must know your personal skills and limits. Binge drinking 7 days out of 7 is not studying. The younger chicks will be all over your dick but don't get distrcted from your goal : getting a degree in order to live an easier and more complete life at a later age. Is getting drunk and being drowned in pussy wrong? No. But getting that and doing a shit job for the rest of your life or vice versa.The choice is easily made.
>>
>>7783371
>>7783377
Synopsis : learn your "balance point" between leisure and disciplined education and keep around that point. If you feel like you're going to far away from that point imagine where you will be in 10 years. With a degree, and without a degree.
>>
>>7783371
Thanks for the post. And honestly didn't even know that was called a "weave". Found it on a wallpaper website some years ago.

At this point I doubt physical college is an option, not all the way through anyway, so pussy and booze are not a problem. Considering my work schedule is mostly unpredictable, I figure any campus time will be night classes or weekend, but I don't really know, will have to talk to student advisors to get an idea.
>>
>>7781934
im in scandolandia
>>
>>7785764
Where are you from originally?
>>
>>7785773
chile of A
>>
>>7781109

hey bud,
25 year old here, started comp engi. / science this year. I know you can because I have anon, I started off struggling to catch up with the course subjects since I have been off of studies for so long, but if you have discipline and persistence, it doesnt matter if you start your studies at 18 or 30. Honestly, most of 18 year olds here are just unhinged from the freedom (procrastination, the "oh shit I know that already, whatever" and getting low scores in tests, etc.), while I studied from the grounds up. That meant for me to go over high school curriculum by my self from other sources by myself. If I can go from a coffee serving barista to top of the class in grades, then you can too motherfucker. lets do this
>>
>>7785797
Nice story anon. Wish you luck in your degree!
>>
File: newweave.png (766KB, 1600x837px) Image search: [Google]
newweave.png
766KB, 1600x837px
>>7783371
>>7784405
Enjoy : http://weavesilk.com/
>>
What?
20, 25, 30. It's not age. You are not old in any way at all and there a most of things possible for everyone who is putting in the work. Really.
It's the perfect age. Even 35 and 40 is fine.
>>
>>7781202
I think software engineering is the only engineering branch where you can actually call yourself an engineer without a degree.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.