[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If the fundamental bits of energy in the universe (those "vibrating

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: Gettys.jpg (376KB, 465x788px) Image search: [Google]
Gettys.jpg
376KB, 465x788px
If the fundamental bits of energy in the universe (those "vibrating strings") are non-divisible and thus homogeneous how it is that they are understood to vibrate differently from one another? How is such a difference brought about?
>>
>>7779112
bump
>>
>>7779112
The picture of a vibrating string is better suited as just an analogy when dealing with the quantum mechanical behavior.

I will try to show what is going on with a toy model, bosonic string theory.

So what we mean by the vibrating is the different levels of energy excitations of the string states.

So if we take a look at closed string world sheet model, we describe the string by functions which embedded the worldsheet into the background spacetime.

[math] {X_R}^\mu \left( {\sigma ,\tau } \right) = \frac{1}{2}{x^\mu } + \frac{1}{2}{\ell _s}^2{p^\mu }\left( {\tau - \sigma } \right) + \frac{i}{2}{\ell _s}\sum\limits_{n \ne 0} {\frac{1}{n}\alpha _n^\mu {e^{ - 2in\left( {\tau - \sigma } \right)}}} [/math]

(and similarly for left movers)

The important part we want to use in these equations, are the fourier modes [math] \alpha _n^\mu [/math] .

We want to canonically quantize the string worldsheet model by promoting these fourier modes to linear operators.

So we define, in terms of these modes, creation&annihilation operators.

[math] a_n^\mu = \frac{1}{{\sqrt n }}\alpha _n^\mu [/math]
[math] a{_n^\mu ^\dagger } = \frac{1}{{\sqrt n }}\alpha _{ - n}^\mu [/math]

We can then derive the canonical commutation relations: [math] \left[ {a_n^\mu ,a{{_m^\nu }^\dagger }} \right] ={\eta ^{\mu \nu }}{\delta _{mn}} [/math]

We now have a quantized description of our string (for a flat spacetime and conformally flat worldsheet).

Ok so what we mean by the vibrational levels are the different energy levels obtained by acting on the string ground state with these operators.

i.e. define a the ground state as [math] \left| 0 \right\rangle [/math] such that [math] a_n^\mu \left| 0 \right\rangle = 0 [/math]

Then the different vibrational levels are the generic states obtained by acting on this ground state with the creation operators...
[math] \left| S \right\rangle = a{_{{n_1}}^{{\mu _1}}^\dag }...a{_{{n_m}}^{{\mu _m}}^\dag }\left| 0 \right\rangle [/math]
>>
>>7779657
** Fixed code lines:

[math] a_n^{\mu \dagger } = \frac{1}{{\sqrt n }}\alpha _{ - n}^\mu [/math]

and

[math] \left| S \right\rangle = a_{{n_1}}^{{\mu _1}\dagger }...a_{{n_m}}^{{\mu _m}\dagger}\left| 0 \right\rangle [/math]
>>
>>7779657
>>7779662
Yeah /sci/ will totally understand this.
>>
File: over300confirmedresearcherkills.png (267KB, 518x438px) Image search: [Google]
over300confirmedresearcherkills.png
267KB, 518x438px
>>7779657
>>7779662

Not OP, but thanks for this post anon. I don't have the background to fully appreciate this (I've only taken one semester of quantum mechanics), but do you mind explaining your first equation and what precedes it a bit more?
>>
>>7779831
The action of this very simple string theory takes the form:

[math] S = \frac{T}{2}\int {{d^2}\sigma } {\eta _{\mu \nu }}{\eta ^{\alpha \beta }}{\partial _\alpha }{X^\mu }{\partial _\beta }{X^\nu } [/math]

The classical equation of motion which is derived from this action is a wave equation:

[math] \left( {\frac{{{\partial ^2}}}{{\partial {\sigma ^2}}} - \frac{{{\partial ^2}}}{{\partial {\tau ^2}}}} \right){X^\mu } = 0 [/math]

So that first equation in my original post is a solution of the wave equation in the form of a fourier series.

The [math] {x^\mu } [/math] are center of mass position coordinates.

The [math] {\ell _s} [/math] is the string length scale.

The [math] {p^\mu } [/math] is the total string momentum.

And the sigma and tau are the spacial and temporal coordinates of the 2D string worldsheet.
>>
>>7779846
>very simple
>string theory
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.